Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs 2019 Draft
Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah--who's this fuckin' guy? Any good?
(04-27-2019, 04:40 PM)NOLA Wrote: Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah--who's this fuckin' guy?  Any good?

I mean... if there's one thing Andy Reid does is pick really good RB's in the back rounds.  People tend to overlook that Damian Williams was producing about the exact same as Kareem Hunt in terms of rushing/receiving, and scoring.  

So without knowing ANYTHING about the guy I'm going to say yes.  He'll be good.  I'm pretty sure Andy could manufacture a great running game to underutilized with anyone.
Here's an article on RB's in general that's awesome, but 1/4 of the article is actually a case study involving Darwin Thompson and his "potential explosiveness".

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/17/1...osh-jacobs

Whole article is worth a read, but if nothing else read his section.
Once again a ton of wrs on our udfa signings list. A couple QBs too, hopefully one gets groomed to be a much cheaper backup than henne.
(04-27-2019, 05:02 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 04:40 PM)NOLA Wrote: Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah--who's this fuckin' guy?  Any good?

I mean... if there's one thing Andy Reid does is pick really good RB's in the back rounds.  People tend to overlook that Damian Williams was producing about the exact same as Kareem Hunt in terms of rushing/receiving, and scoring.  

So without knowing ANYTHING about the guy I'm going to say yes.  He'll be good.  I'm pretty sure Andy could manufacture a great running game to underutilized with anyone.

I think this is my favorite post you've ever made. All of the internets for you, bud.
(04-27-2019, 08:51 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: Once again a ton of wrs on our udfa signings list. A couple QBs too, hopefully one gets groomed to be a much cheaper backup than henne.

BAh, let KC grab a few vet back ups for a while.  Mahomes is humble and will learn from even them.  He's learned from guys like Alex and even Henne.  Does  Henne suck?  Yes.   He has been in the league a while, and anything those guys can pass on to him is far more useful in his hands than in theirs.  

Vet back ups for young QB's IMO.  Vet back ups who know their role, and that won't be a problem.  Nobody is walking into KC thinking that job is up for grabs.
List of UDFA signings and mini-camp invites

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/27...t-signings

A handful of names that stand out to me:

Princeton QB John Lovett
He'll likely be a TE/FB developmental prospect. 6'3", 235 lbs. Putting off his baseball career as a 5 tool prospect to try his hand at the NFL. Just a reminder, Kelce was a college QB too, although he converted in college. Maybe he'll be able to help Lovett's transition if we keep him.

Vanderbilt QB Kyle Shurmur
Giants Coach Pat Shurmur's son. 6'4", 240. His number one athletic comparison on Mockdraftable is Chase Litton. He was a 3 year starter in college. Average arm talent. I think he's got the potential to be a long-term NFL backup with his ability to run an offense.

Southwestern Oklahoma State QB Joel Blumenthal
Going to be a WR. Some people compared him to Julian Edelman. They're both Jewish small school college QBs that made/are making the switch to receiver with 4.5 speed and excellent agility, but other than that they're totally different Big Grin . Really impressed at OU's pro day apparently, but it was hard for me to find anything about him outside of his numbers (had the best 40 and agility scores across the board of anyone at OU's pro day) and an article at the Athletic behind a paywall that says he caught everything that day. 6'1", 206, solidly built.

Washington State RB James Williams
5'9", 197 lbs. Despite bleh timed speed (4.58 forty) and an atrocious 60 yard shuttle (Mockdraftable Athletic Profile), Williams is an interesting RB. Excellent receiver that gets upfield quickly on screens and was the best in the nation at shedding the first tackle last year (6th round pick Darwin Thompson was just a couple percentage points behind him). His nickname is "Boobie", so I guess he'd be easy to differentiate for the other Williamses at RB just for that fact.

Looking at some plays Thompson looks a lot like Kareem Hunt.  Smaller though.

Breaks tackles, Good burst but not great top end speed.   Excellent balance that allows him to stay on his feet when it doesn't look like he should be able to at all.  Like Hunt the most impressive thing about him is how he breaks tackles in the backfield.  I've always thought that translates well into the NFL.

Yeah, Andy can work with that.  I wish he was bigger though.  

Take my word for it.  I'm pretty much never wrong about running backs.  The last time I missed was Reggie Bush.  I thought he'd be a better version of Marshall Faulk.  I STILL think he should have been and it's not like he was a total bust.  He had a nice little career, but a bit more eric metcalf than Marshall Faulk.
(04-28-2019, 07:42 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Looking at some plays Thompson looks a lot like Kareem Hunt.  Smaller though.

Breaks tackles, Good burst but not great top end speed.   Excellent balance that allows him to stay on his feet when it doesn't look like he should be able to at all.  Like Hunt the most impressive thing about him is how he breaks tackles in the backfield.  I've always thought that translates well into the NFL.

Yeah, Andy can work with that.  I wish he was bigger though.  

Take my word for it.  I'm pretty much never wrong about running backs.  The last time I missed was Reggie Bush.  I thought he'd be a better version of Marshall Faulk.  I STILL think he should have been and it's not like he was a total bust.  He had a nice little career, but a bit more eric metcalf than Marshall Faulk.

Reggie Bush was better than you or most people remember.  He was hot and cold. but he was also superhuman.  As you said, he should have been bigger.  There was too much going on in the Saints offense for him to get the spotlight, and no one else utilized him right before injury derailed his career.

But the divisional round of the 2010 playoffs (2009 season) he destroyed the Cardinals.  It was incredible.
Sounds like our recent draft picks have no significant injury history.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/29...ical-notes

EDIT:

Also, the Jets were apparently trying to trade up for Hardman.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/...e-hardman/