Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AAF: Alliance of American Football

(04-02-2019, 09:42 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  So my idea for a league to work definitely requires the NFL's support but could work without initially and force the NFL to support.

Make the league 12 weeks long with the playoffs 2 weeks. Have a week between the playoffs and the regular season and between the 2 weeks of playoffs. Also have an entire league bye week in the middle. That makes the season the same length as the NFL regular season. The key is this league runs at the same time as the regular season. But this league plays its games on Wednesday and Thursday nights (ideally the NFL would get rid of its Thursday night games for this). This would get normal bottom of the roster guys and practice squad type guys real work, real experience, real playing time. Without the NFL support to start, it's hard but these guys will have more reps and be better than those guys actually in the league after awhile. Which would force the NFL to adopt this league as it's new practice squad basically.

Then the NFL could expand practice squad for teams to 15. Each division has it's own developmental league team. No player can get called up to active roster on a weekend after they have played a development league game that same week but they can be called up and made inactive for that weekend. Practice squad rules would still be the same (ie any team can pluck any player from any teams practice squad for their NFL roster) but these players would be making more money because they are actually playing games and they get better because they are the starters and 2nd string guys now instead of fill ins.

I like this idea, but I'd prefer to off-set the seasons so that the feeder league season is over by week 10 at the latest.

(04-04-2019, 07:49 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(04-02-2019, 09:42 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  So my idea for a league to work definitely requires the NFL's support but could work without initially and force the NFL to support.

Make the league 12 weeks long with the playoffs 2 weeks. Have a week between the playoffs and the regular season and between the 2 weeks of playoffs. Also have an entire league bye week in the middle. That makes the season the same length as the NFL regular season. The key is this league runs at the same time as the regular season. But this league plays its games on Wednesday and Thursday nights (ideally the NFL would get rid of its Thursday night games for this). This would get normal bottom of the roster guys and practice squad type guys real work, real experience, real playing time. Without the NFL support to start, it's hard but these guys will have more reps and be better than those guys actually in the league after awhile. Which would force the NFL to adopt this league as it's new practice squad basically.

Then the NFL could expand practice squad for teams to 15. Each division has it's own developmental league team. No player can get called up to active roster on a weekend after they have played a development league game that same week but they can be called up and made inactive for that weekend. Practice squad rules would still be the same (ie any team can pluck any player from any teams practice squad for their NFL roster) but these players would be making more money because they are actually playing games and they get better because they are the starters and 2nd string guys now instead of fill ins.

I like this idea, but I'd prefer to off-set the seasons so that the feeder league season is over by week 10 at the latest.

The only reason I would have the season last the same time as the NFL regular season is so those players would still be in active shape for a call up at the end of the season or nfl playoff time. Ending early wouldn't be the worst though, I just think too much layoff between the end of their season and a possible NFL contract could lead to injury or something.

(04-04-2019, 08:13 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  

The only reason I would have the season last the same time as the NFL regular season is so those players would still be in active shape for a call up at the end of the season or nfl playoff time. Ending early wouldn't be the worst though, I just think too much layoff between the end of their season and a possible NFL contract could lead to injury or something.

In particular I'm a big fan of expanding practice squads for developmental talent, and the game day roster limits should GTFO.  Teams are paying 53 players.  The roster limit is 53 players.  53 players should suit up on game day.  The reason for this rule is entirely obsolete at this point.  

I also think off-setting the leagues does something else useful, which is eliminates the need for a 4 week preseason.  Coaches won't budge on the 4 game preseason because they have a LOT of evaluation to do and there's a lot of roster turnover.  With a place for the bottom 1/3 of the roster to show their stuff at the same time, the team can focus more on offense/defense installs during preseason and less time figuring out who's going to be on the team.

(04-07-2019, 09:59 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(04-04-2019, 08:13 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  

In particular I'm a big fan of expanding practice squads for developmental talent, and the game day roster limits should GTFO.  Teams are paying 53 players.  The roster limit is 53 players.  53 players should suit up on game day.  The reason for this rule is entirely obsolete at this point.  

I also think off-setting the leagues does something else useful, which is eliminates the need for a 4 week preseason.  Coaches won't budge on the 4 game preseason because they have a LOT of evaluation to do and there's a lot of roster turnover.  With a place for the bottom 1/3 of the roster to show their stuff at the same time, the team can focus more on offense/defense installs during preseason and less time figuring out who's going to be on the team.

All good points. Let's go mediate a deal between the xfl and the NFL and get paid.