Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AAF: Alliance of American Football

The NFL should have bailed them out. They need a developmental league.

(04-02-2019, 01:56 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  The NFL should have bailed them out.  They need a developmental league.

Isn't that just college for them?

[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates

So my idea for a league to work definitely requires the NFL's support but could work without initially and force the NFL to support.

Make the league 12 weeks long with the playoffs 2 weeks. Have a week between the playoffs and the regular season and between the 2 weeks of playoffs. Also have an entire league bye week in the middle. That makes the season the same length as the NFL regular season. The key is this league runs at the same time as the regular season. But this league plays its games on Wednesday and Thursday nights (ideally the NFL would get rid of its Thursday night games for this). This would get normal bottom of the roster guys and practice squad type guys real work, real experience, real playing time. Without the NFL support to start, it's hard but these guys will have more reps and be better than those guys actually in the league after awhile. Which would force the NFL to adopt this league as it's new practice squad basically.

Then the NFL could expand practice squad for teams to 15. Each division has it's own developmental league team. No player can get called up to active roster on a weekend after they have played a development league game that same week but they can be called up and made inactive for that weekend. Practice squad rules would still be the same (ie any team can pluck any player from any teams practice squad for their NFL roster) but these players would be making more money because they are actually playing games and they get better because they are the starters and 2nd string guys now instead of fill ins.

Interesting, but I don't think it'd work that way. Season needs to be done at a time that there is as little attention on the NFL as possible, like the USFL back in the day minus the big salaries. Gotta be a spring league. People wouldn't watch the equivalent of preseason games in the fall. The expanded practice squad idea I like and it seems like that was along the lines of the AAF's long-term plan.

Even without the NFLPA and NFL giving access to practice squad players the Alliance appeared to be in alright shape. Tom Dundon promised to invest $250M in exchange for a controlling interest in the league, but actually only paid $70M before folding up apparently unilaterally. Some today are speculating about Dundon's motivations which could lead to a legal fight, so although it's likely too late to save this season this might not be the end of the AAF.

Worth noting the XFL has $400M invested by McMahon himself outside of the other owners. They've got the capital to stick around for a couple years, although if they lack any kind of NFL support they may have a rough go of things too.

I think the only way it works is if they have 32 teams that all have an affiliation to an NFL team. For instance, no Dallas Cowboy fans gave two shits about the San Antonio Commanders but it was the Frisco Cowboys or even the San Antonio Cowboys and those players were trying to make the Dallas Cowboys roster, then people would have cared to some degree.

(04-03-2019, 07:43 AM)DallasChief Wrote:  I think the only way it works is if they have 32 teams that all have an affiliation to an NFL team.    For instance, no Dallas Cowboy fans gave two shits about the San Antonio Commanders but it was the Frisco Cowboys or even the San Antonio Cowboys and those players were trying to make the Dallas Cowboys roster, then people would have cared to some degree.

Meh, I don't think that kind of feeder league could work.  

The model to follow is the Arena league but everyone is like "Hey, remember the USFL?".  They're in too big of a hurry. They need to build a fanbase to WATCH the games LIVE before worrying about TV deals and big money contracts with the NFL.  

It's not easy to 'wham bam' a billion dollar industry immediately.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  

I'm skeptical the off-season league model will ever work though, but you can't blame Trump for screwing this league up.

(That's not a political reference.  Trump is basically responsible for destroying the USFL)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26440...yer-reaser

I had heard this morning that players could not be signed but now I guess they can be.

(04-04-2019, 03:49 PM)Razorchief Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26440...yer-reaser

I had heard this morning that players could not be signed but now I guess they can be.

Reaser didn't really get a lot of chances here before despite that the coaching staff liked him, but this is supposed to be the exact purpose of a developmental league.

Reaser was arguably the best DB in Alliance history, all 8 weeks of it. Sometimes guys that shine in preseason or back in the day in NFL Europe turn into legit players, sometimes they still never materialize. Getting the chance to play was exactly what Reaser needed. Now it's a question of if he can make anything of it.

(04-04-2019, 03:49 PM)Razorchief Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26440...yer-reaser

This blurb is from rotoworld earlier this morning

Yahoo Sports' Terez Paylor reports a league memo told NFL teams not to contact former Alliance of American Football players at this time.

Several players including former Orlando Apollos QB Garrett Gilbert are expected to draw interest from NFL teams, but the league wants to make sure those players are actually out of contract before that happens. The AAF officially suspended operations on Tuesday, but they have yet to fold or even cancel the season, even though that looks like the only outcome. While it might take a few weeks to sort through the mess, ex-AAF players should be eligible to join NFL teams before OTAs kick off at the end of May.

So either there wasn't actually a memo, we ignored the memo, or there was an updated memo that said teams could sign those players. But it's odd that there haven't been any other signings if there wasn't a memo stating not to sign them or if there was an updated memo. Kinda feels like we're skirting the suggestions here.

(04-04-2019, 03:57 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

Reaser didn't really get a lot of chances here before despite that the coaching staff liked him, but this is supposed to be the exact purpose of a developmental league.

Reaser was arguably the best DB in Alliance history, all 8 weeks of it. Sometimes guys that shine in preseason or back in the day in NFL Europe turn into legit players, sometimes they still never materialize. Getting the chance to play was exactly what Reaser needed. Now it's a question of if he can make anything of it.

DV got a lot of use out of NFL europe when that was a thing.  If not for NFL Europe Dante Hall would have never been a thing.  He'd have been cut from KC and no team would have looked twice at him.

One thing I dislike about the NFL is how for young marginal players they really only get one shot at this thing and the odds are incredibly stacked against them.  Everyone develops differently.  Some guys are basically grown men at 15 and others might not be fully physically developed until they're 25.  In same cases, these guys might be comparable at their peaks but one will have a world of opportunity while another might only get one shot and get cut when he's 23.  

IF we're realistic though, they can go to Canada.  NFL teams sign exceptional talent from any league.  Worked for Cameron Wake.  I don't mention Moon or Flutie because realistically they should have never had to play in Canada.  Both guys were victims of bigotry.  Moon for being black and Flutie for being short.  One obviously much better than the other but Flutie was ALWAYS an NFL level player even if he didn't have superstar QB potential.