Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs 2019 Offseason Thread
(02-20-2019, 04:32 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 04:30 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 04:26 PM)NOLA Wrote: Le'Veon Bell is going to be a free agent.  I, for one, am interested.

If he's willing to come cheap, sure. I kind of doubt that though considering how he got to this point, unless he highly overestimates his market and is forced to settle somewhere and thinks he'll be able to make bank after a year here.

Outside of that oddly specific situation, I just don't see it happening at a worthwhile pricepoint.

Probably not, but I've gotten used to big NFL signings that didn't seem to be possible at this point (the Saints for years, the Rams last year)--the cap is pretty illusory, as are a lot of contract numbers.  Also, being a high-paid running back isn't that pricey in terms of NFL deals.

Yeah, anything is possible, it may just make for tougher choices later

If I had to chose between Tyreek and Bell, I'm choosing Reek. And maybe that's a false choice, but we'd have to sacrifice something, even if it's some as of yet unidentified opportunity down the line.

I guess the real deal killer to me is he held out in hopes that he'd get paid like RBs used to get paid. I just don't see that happening, which is why if and when he comes back down to Sammy Watkin's flat earth I'd be more willing to make that deal.
Fuck signing Le'veon Bell.  

I don't want the chiefs overpaying for a 30 year old RB who also happens to be an egomaniac.  Can we all remember that his OL was basically happy he was gone?  I've never seen a team go after a guy holding out like they did Bell.  Ever.  That tells me something about how he's viewed by his team-mates.  

I think he has, maybe, one good year left in the tank.
(02-20-2019, 06:33 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Fuck signing Le'veon Bell.  

I don't want the chiefs overpaying for a 30 year old RB who also happens to be an egomaniac.  Can we all remember that his OL was basically happy he was gone?  I've never seen a team go after a guy holding out like they did Bell.  Ever.  That tells me something about how he's viewed by his team-mates.  

As I recall his teammates had his back until he refused to sign his franchise tender and it became clear he was going to miss time, then they turned on him in a heartbeat. So it may not be due to his personality in the locker room, but still due to his ego.

I agree Bell probably has one good year, hence why I wouldn't mind being a place he settles on after the market rejects him. I'd be happy with him on a one year deal.
I think hes an elite back with at least 2 great years left and probably 2 more very good years after that. Hes 27 years old with one less nfl season of wear and tear. But hes going to get paid. And it wont be here. And we shouldn't. We made Damian Williams look above decent and we can pick a 2nd or 3rd round back and do the same. We dont need world beater at rb with mahomes at qb. And we DO need to spend on defense.
(02-20-2019, 06:56 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

As I recall his teammates had his back until he refused to sign his franchise tender and it became clear he was going to miss time, then they turned on him in a heartbeat. So it may not be due to his personality in the locker room, but still due to his ego.

I agree Bell probably has one good year, hence why I wouldn't mind being a place he settles on after the market rejects him. I'd be happy with him on a one year deal.

I'm not sure I was clear.  

Players refuse to sign the tag at times, and their team-mates NEVER speak out against them.  EVER.  This was the first time I've seen it.
(02-20-2019, 08:55 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: I think hes an elite back with at least 2 great years left and probably 2 more very good years after that. Hes 27 years old with one less nfl season of wear and tear. But hes going to get paid. And it wont be here. And we shouldn't. We made Damian Williams look above decent and we can pick a 2nd or 3rd round back and do the same. We dont need world beater at rb with mahomes at qb. And we DO need to spend on defense.

100%.  

RB's always thrive in Andy's offense, and that's going to be moreso with football jesus.
Looks like there is going to be some safeties to choose from in free agency. Should drive down the prices somewhat as we saw last year the market wasn't huge for them to begin with. And maybe berry plays more than 3 games next year?
(8 hours ago)The_Jonas Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 06:56 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

I'm not sure I was clear.  

Players refuse to sign the tag at times, and their team-mates NEVER speak out against them.  EVER.  This was the first time I've seen it.

You were clear, but maybe I wasn't. Players refuse to sign the tag sometimes, but always come around whether it's when they would start to miss pay checks or games. Bell went past that and skipped the season. I can't remember anyone else that's done that recently.

Maybe I'm incorrectly remembering how this all went down or I'm forgetting other players not signing into the season, but I thought it went how this NY Post article suggests, that the players became fed up with him once they knew he was going to miss games because he missed practice the week leading up to the first game. The last 2 sentences describe a player doing exactly that, waiting until he didn't show to criticize him. Maybe some were vocal before that? That'd be enough to prove your point.

All that being said, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking he showed enough of his character through this process to take a hard pass from here to eternity.
(7 hours ago)tyecopeland Wrote: Looks like there is going to be some safeties to choose from in free agency. Should drive down the prices somewhat as we saw last year the market wasn't huge for them to begin with. And maybe berry plays more than 3 games next year?

I know this is probably also not popular (given his age--30, right?), but I still have dreams of adding Earl Thomas.  I think my Christmas list doesn't match the cap room.

I don't think Berry plays again, but short of an injury settlement (he seems set against that), I don't think we're getting him off the books this year. Cutting him outright offers no real cap relief. Also, I love the dude. I hope he plays again, I just don't think it's gonna happen in a significant way.