Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2019 Offseason Thread

(05-11-2019, 09:26 PM)NOLA Wrote:  I'm super skeptical of Spags.  Full stop.  I hope for the best.

You have a legit reason to be considering how bad he was his one year with the Saints. He's had plenty of bad years elsewhere too.

My opinion, there aren't many Monte Kiffin type DCs out there and they aren't available either. If you get a guy like that you do everything you can to use him until he's got both feet in the grave, a la Jim Johnson. Outside of that, either you keep going through young guys hoping to find one knowing full well they'll probably move on to a HC position if they're any good, or you go the retread route.

Most of these retreads, the Suttons and the Spags of the world, aren't total idiots. They know what they're doing to some degree, they didn't entirely luck into having a few top 10 defenses. Still, the situation has to be right. The players, the scheme fit, the offense on the other side, so on. Not saying it isn't their fault when they fail, it absolutely is, but there's a whole class of coordinators that are really the same type of cake with different types of frosting.

(05-12-2019, 12:15 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(05-11-2019, 09:26 PM)NOLA Wrote:  I'm super skeptical of Spags.  Full stop.  I hope for the best.

You have a legit reason to be considering how bad he was his one year with the Saints. He's had plenty of bad years elsewhere too.

My opinion, there aren't many Monte Kiffin type DCs out there and they aren't available either. If you get a guy like that you do everything you can to use him until he's got both feet in the grave, a la Jim Johnson. Outside of that, either you keep going through young guys hoping to find one knowing full well they'll probably move on to a HC position if they're any good, or you go the retread route.

Most of these retreads, the Suttons and the Spags of the world, aren't total idiots. They know what they're doing to some degree, they didn't entirely luck into having a few top 10 defenses. Still, the situation has to be right. The players, the scheme fit, the offense on the other side, so on. Not saying it isn't their fault when they fail, it absolutely is, but there's a whole class of coordinators that are really the same type of cake with different types of frosting.

Eh... I kinda wanted KC to hire House as the DC.  

Crazy thing was that KC did hire him, but now we'll be stuck with spags when he's hired from our staff.  Sad  

We'll see.  It's a good coaching staff now on that side of the ball.  I have no idea what to expect given the full scheme and personnel makeover.  I said before it all started that in my book Chris Jones was the only one who was safe.  Apparently the team agreed.

So I know I talked about how I wasn't a fan of the hyde signing. I just looked at what ware got from the colts. He only got 150k guaranteed and a total of 1.3 mil if he's active all 16 games. Hyde got more in guarantees (1.5 mil) than ware got total. And total value of 2.8. Theres no way hyde was worth an extra 1 and a half mil.

(05-14-2019, 12:15 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  So I know I talked about how u want a fan of the hyde signing. I just looked at what ware got from the colts. He only got 150k guaranteed and a total of 1.3 mil if he's active all 16 games. Hyde got more in guarantees (1.5 mil) than ware got total. And total value of 2.8. Theres no way hyde was worth an extra 1 and a half mil.

I generally agree. The only thing I'd say in defense of Hyde is he's been healthier than Ware. He played pretty poor the last couple years, albeit in bad offenses.

The thing I liked about the Hyde signing at the time was he raised our floor and increased our depth before the draft. Ideally, the combination of Darrell Williams, Thompson, and James Williams will outright beat out Hyde and take him off of our roster. I think that's a real possibility and I'm not just wishcasting. If one of them beats him out as the primary backup to Damien then there's not reason to keep Hyde. This is why I wouldn't have given him that much guaranteed money either.

Patrick Peterson rumors are heating back up.

(05-14-2019, 07:07 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Patrick Peterson rumors are heating back up.

Yes please.

Traded a 6th rounder to the jets for former 1st round pick darron Lee lb. Seems to be a typical veach move. Just like I thought with ragland, it's worth a late rounder to see how he plays here.

Ty just beat me to it, but yes, Chiefs traded a 6th for Jets LB Darron Lee.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/5/15...th-rounder

Apparently the Jets fired their GM so HC Adam Gase is their interim GM. This was his first major act as GM. Need I remind you the following was his first act as a HC.

He probably doesn't want to taco bout it.

I have no idea if Lee is any good. Safe to assume he has some talent and he's had 40 starts already so he has experience. This is basically a one year tryout though since he's only under contract this season. Low-risk, high-reward. Effectively there's little or no difference between an ass end of the 6th round pick and a priority undrafted free agent anyway, so I'm all for taking risks this way.

If the defense isnt any good next year it wont be because we put the same guys out there. Totally different staff and roster on the defense.

(05-15-2019, 08:36 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Ty just beat me to it, but yes, Chiefs traded a 6th for Jets LB Darron Lee.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/5/15...th-rounder

Apparently the Jets fired their GM so HC Adam Gase is their interim GM. This was his first major act as GM. Need I remind you the following was his first act as a HC.

He probably doesn't want to taco bout it.

I have no idea if Lee is any good. Safe to assume he has some talent and he's had 40 starts already so he has experience. This is basically a one year tryout though since he's only under contract this season. Low-risk, high-reward. Effectively there's little or no difference between an ass end of the 6th round pick and a priority undrafted free agent anyway, so I'm all for taking risks this way.

He's a really athletic 'cover backer.'  A bit undersized at 6-1 and 230.

If he's on the team when training camp starts in 2020, it's a win.  Even if he sucks.  KC needs linebackers.