Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs Kelvin Benjamin is a Chief

I don't know how I feel about this yet.  It could be a great addition if we get someone trying to prove they still are relevant.  But, it could be wasted money.  I guess we will see ….

Kelvin Benjamin's foray into free agency has been brief.
The former Buffalo Bills wide receiver is set to sign a one-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
Benjamin was waived by the Bills on Tuesday and went unclaimed on waivers Wednesday before visiting with the Chiefs. By signing with Kansas City, Benjamin more or less ensures he'll be playing for a team bound for the postseason before hitting free agency again this offseason.

ESPN first reported the development.
Buffalo traded a third- and seventh-round pick to the Carolina Panthers at last season's trade deadline to acquire the big-bodied receiver in hopes he could become a No. 1 target, but Benjamin struggled to adapt to his new AFC East team and on multiple occasions found himself in the headlines for reasons other than his play on the field.
Benjamin will look to turnaround his career in Kansas City, a team that has climbed to the top of the AFC with wunderkind quarterback Patrick Mahomes running the offense. Playing alongside Sammy Watkins and Travis Kelce, Benjamin could add even more fire to a third-ranked offense (437.2 yards per game) that is first in scoring (37 per game) and third in passing (316.5 YPG). Or he could be a non-factor -- much like he was in Buffalo.
The fourth-year wide receiver hasn't been the same since tearing his ACL before the start of the 2015 season following a promising rookie campaign. In Buffalo, he was plagued by drops and ineffective play at periods throughout the season. He only recorded seven receptions for 92 yards in his final four games in Western New York. He finished his Bills tenure with 39 catches for 571 yards and two touchdowns.
"At the end of the day, it didn't work for us," Bills coach Sean McDermott said.
Time will tell if Benjamin's addition to the Chiefs proves beneficial or a burden for the Kansas City's Super Bowl aspirations.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

Huzzah?

Super Bowl!

This is low risk, high reward. There's no way he's making much more than minimum after clearing waivers. If he still sucks, we cut him and bring Dieter back up like nothing ever happened. He's been a red zone threat before, and if that's all he adds to this team it's enough to make him worth the signing.

Sometimes guys need a change of scenery. I'm not going to lie, the Panthers were still playoff contenders when they traded him to Buffalo, who were also playoff contenders and did eventually make the playoffs despite only being 9-7. Still, we're an elite offense now, and that has an effect on people. Many considered Josh Gordon broken in Cleveland, yet he's looked better than bad for the Patriots. And no, I'm not comparing Gordon's talent to Benjamin, just some similarities in situation.

Effort needs to be there. We'll know relatively quick what the coaching staff actually thinks of him, though probably very little this game.

it seems more like low risk no reward to me.

(12-07-2018, 09:29 AM)DallasChief Wrote:  it seems more like low risk no reward to me.

Well, yeah, odds are it won't work out. But let's not forget this was a guy that had success early in his career.

About 40 lbs ago.

Depth in case sammy cant go?

[Image: HG.gif]

I heard on 610 that Watkins re-injured his foot yesterday in practice.

Watkins is now out 4-6 weeks.

And now we know for sure why Benjamin was hired.

[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]