Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stan Lee
Some folks didnt care for him.  For me the team of Stan Lee and Jack "The King" Kirby runs really deep.  In 1966 I had corrective leg surgery on both legs.  I was in casts for a year before I could rehab and learn to walk again.  (And thats how I was stuck on the couch for the NFL/AFL Championship game.  But while other kids were playing after school in the afternoons, I was on the couch.  On a UHF channel, (If you dont know what that is just walk away. lol) There was a Marvel Super Heroes cartoon.  It introduced me to Namor, Captain America, Iron Man, THe Hulk, and some hippy with a hammer.

This got me started reading comic books and as I got older collecting them.  Marvel and DC of course, I was what Stan called, A "True Believer" I couldnt wait to read his letter sections, more and more books, X-men, Avengers,  Then came KISS.  IN A COMIC BOOK!  Death of Captain Marvel practically started a whole new industry. I grew up with Stan.  His narration and appearances on certain Marvel Cartoons and then, Movies.  Fantastic Four Cameos etc.  And then Marvel started making movies.  Love him or hate him/  You appreciated the Cameos. So for most of my life Stan was there, Never met him but he was there.  

We have a comic book/movie thread.  Forgive me if I felt Stan deserved his own.  Thank you Stan for giving us a different universe and entertaining us all these years.  You are missed and may you rest n peace.

EXCELSIOR!
[Image: HG.gif]
True fact:

Stan Lee is the originator of the splash page credits.  Before that, only the writer was credited on comic books.  This is one reason artists from before the 60's were usually cut out of royalties for characters they frequently had more impact in creating than writers... since back then the visual story telling and designs were left much more to their discretion with far less editorial oversight.  

So while I laugh that Stan Lee often would send one sentence plot summaries to Jack Kirby and he'd do all of the work, at least he shared credit.  He'll forever be viewed as the father of Marvel comics.  It doesn't matter who created it.  He made it matter.  

Though Jack Kirby, in my eyes, will always deserve equal or even greater credit.
(11-13-2018, 12:44 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: True fact:

Stan Lee is the originator of the splash page credits.  Before that, only the writer was credited on comic books.  This is one reason artists from before the 60's were usually cut out of royalties for characters they frequently had more impact in creating than writers... since back then the visual story telling and designs were left much more to their discretion with far less editorial oversight.  

So while I laugh that Stan Lee often would send one sentence plot summaries to Jack Kirby and he'd do all of the work, at least he shared credit.  He'll forever be viewed as the father of Marvel comics.  It doesn't matter who created it.  He made it matter.  

Though Jack Kirby, in my eyes, will always deserve equal or even greater credit.

I met Stan Lee once, and got to ask him the only question that really matters (to me): "Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy?"

And he answered very quickly and excitedly (this was a Q&A, so he was playing to the crowd): "Mary Jane!  I always intended for it to be Gwen Stacy--and I was the writer--by Mary Jane demanded it be her.  And she was right!" or something very close to that.

I always knew that was exactly the answer in my heart, but it was amazing to hear it from Stan the Man himself.  He loved those characters even more than we all did.
(11-13-2018, 01:00 PM)NOLA Wrote:

I met Stan Lee once, and got to ask him the only question that really matters (to me): "Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy?"

And he answered very quickly and excitedly (this was a Q&A, so he was playing to the crowd): "Mary Jane!  I always intended for it to be Gwen Stacy--and I was the writer--by Mary Jane demanded it be her.  And she was right!" or something very close to that.

I always knew that was exactly the answer in my heart, but it was amazing to hear it from Stan the Man himself.  He loved those characters even more than we all did.

Terrible all the weird stuff that was happening to him at the end of his life.
(11-13-2018, 06:59 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:

He put out a date video that everything was fine and he had no idea where these stories came from
[Image: HG.gif]
(11-15-2018, 12:01 PM)HG Wrote:

He put out a date video that everything was fine and he had no idea where these stories came from

Probably from the lawsuit he filed and didn't follow through on.  There were a lot of other weird rumor too.

Boy, the social justice warriors are in standard form, releasing some hit pieces the day after he fucking died.
(11-15-2018, 12:25 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 12:01 PM)HG Wrote:

Probably from the lawsuit he filed and didn't follow through on.  There were a lot of other weird rumor too.

Boy, the social justice warriors are in standard form, releasing some hit pieces the day after he fucking died.

Vultures.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(11-15-2018, 08:54 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:

I mean, I already knew Francesa was an asshole.