Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs GAME 1 2018: Chiefs at Chargers
I still don't get why everyone thinks the Chargers are the team to beat. I really don't.

In any case, let's hope our Boys in Red have continued success out in Arrowhead West.

And HEY, this is my first Red Friday (and it's weird they're doing it on 9/7, isn't it? Thought it was before the first HOME game) in Kansas City.

Sweet.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
Chiefs 28, Chargers 20
I think the Chargers are the team the Chiefs need to beat. Everyone else should be putting the bullseye on us. It's a media creation that anyone thinks otherwise. That's not to say the Bolts are a pushover. No, by all means they should be the toughest team in the division the Chiefs face.

I think the Raiders are taking a temporary step back at least while trying to rebuild the culture. The Broncos probably took a step forward, but you have to remember they were well below average and as that defense ages and moves on they'll start to lose some of their identity and edge.

So this game really is as big as it gets for being this early. First game of the season, facing the apparent next best team in the division, road  game, etc. An early win here puts to bed a lot of the concerns people have about the Chiefs.

Also, I've said this a million times, but I'm just not that damned impressed with the Chargers defense and I don't know why so many are. Don't get me wrong, it's better than ours last year, but this is supposed to be their strength, but to me it just looks like they have pieces. This may be especially true early in the season since they are relying on a number of rookies, have some nagging injuries from preseason, and Corey Liuget is suspended to start the year. We may be lucky this game is first thing.

Also, Phillip Rivers seems to be allergic to beating the Chiefs in recent years. He'll shit the bed. He always does. The media always tells us this year is different and they are flat out wrong and historically ignorant to keep picking the Chargers.
First regular season depth chart:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/9/3/...left-guard

Big thing is Andrew Wylie is starting left guard instead of Erving. Please be good, Wylie. I don't think we have much in Erving. It's mostly what you would think otherwise.

New DBs Lucas and Ward are listed last on the depth chart, which should stay the case until they learn the playbook, terminology and whatnot.

The new OL Boettger is listed as backup RG while the other guy Reiter is listed as the 3rd C behind Devey

Ron Parker is starting, which makes sense. They wouldn't have signed him if they thought he was anything but the starter, though he needs to be better than last year.

DAT is starting the season as the primary kick returner ahead of Tremon Smith.
(09-03-2018, 04:44 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: I think the Chargers are the team the Chiefs need to beat. Everyone else should be putting the bullseye on us. It's a media creation that anyone thinks otherwise. That's not to say the Bolts are a pushover. No, by all means they should be the toughest team in the division the Chiefs face.

I think the Raiders are taking a temporary step back at least while trying to rebuild the culture. The Broncos probably took a step forward, but you have to remember they were well below average and as that defense ages and moves on they'll start to lose some of their identity and edge.

So this game really is as big as it gets for being this early. First game of the season, facing the apparent next best team in the division, road  game, etc. An early win here puts to bed a lot of the concerns people have about the Chiefs.

Also, I've said this a million times, but I'm just not that damned impressed with the Chargers defense and I don't know why so many are. Don't get me wrong, it's better than ours last year, but this is supposed to be their strength, but to me it just looks like they have pieces. This may be especially true early in the season since they are relying on a number of rookies, have some nagging injuries from preseason, and Corey Liuget is suspended to start the year. We may be lucky this game is first thing.

Also, Phillip Rivers seems to be allergic to beating the Chiefs in recent years. He'll shit the bed. He always does. The media always tells us this year is different and they are flat out wrong and historically ignorant to keep picking the Chargers.

The Chargers (and Rivers in particular) are chokers.

Knowing the Chargers they'll be 8-5 heading into the last 2 weeks of the season needing ONE win to lock down a spot and they'll lose both games by 20+.

It's just what the Chargers do.  They don't even wait until the playoffs to choke.  They'll choke away the 'win and you're in' regular season games against even bad teams.
Chiefs 48 Chargers 45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
borrowed this from ESPN.com

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers(4:05 p.m. ET, CBS)

Point spread: LAC -3.5 | Matchup quality: 56.2 (of 100)
Adam Teicher's pick: Kansas City's defense looked fundamentally bad in a lot of ways during preseason. The Chiefs will need to score into the 30s to beat the Chargers, and that's a lot to ask of Patrick Mahomes in his first full season as a starter against a good defensive opponent. Chargers 34, Chiefs 26

Eric D. Williams' pick: The Chargers have lost eight straight to the Chiefs, but they finally will put an end to that losing streak Sunday. Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley will figure out a way to pressure Mahomes, and a Philip Rivers-led offense should have its way with a Kansas City defense that likely will be missing its best player in safety Eric Berry (heel). Chargers 31, Chiefs 27
How is Rivers going to "have his way" with a Berry-less defense when he got spanked by a Berry-less defense TWICE last season?
Also, if Rivers is gonna "carve up our defense" due to some magic powers he's apparently acquired, how come Pat Mahomes isn't going to destroy a Bosa-less Chargers defense?

C'mon.
(09-07-2018, 01:42 PM)Razorchief Wrote: borrowed this from ESPN.com

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers(4:05 p.m. ET, CBS)

Point spread: LAC -3.5 | Matchup quality: 56.2 (of 100)
Adam Teicher's pick: Kansas City's defense looked fundamentally bad in a lot of ways during preseason. The Chiefs will need to score into the 30s to beat the Chargers, and that's a lot to ask of Patrick Mahomes in his first full season as a starter against a good defensive opponent. Chargers 34, Chiefs 26

Eric D. Williams' pick: The Chargers have lost eight straight to the Chiefs, but they finally will put an end to that losing streak Sunday. Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley will figure out a way to pressure Mahomes, and a Philip Rivers-led offense should have its way with a Kansas City defense that likely will be missing its best player in safety Eric Berry (heel). Chargers 31, Chiefs 27

Gus Bradley runs predominantly Cover 3 Zone and relies on the skill of his players to generate pressure instead of blitz packages. He isn't going to "figure out" shit, because that isn't what he does. Gus plays checkers, dude.

Andy Reid plays 8th dimensional Buckaroo Banzai chess  on the other hand. He has repeatedly schemed ways to take premier pass rushers out of games like JJ Watt, Khalil Mack (lol), Von Miller, and even the Chargers bookends of Bosa (who's out and wearing a walking boot) and Ingram. Ingram may still get a play or two out of pure talent and tenacity, but he's going to be schemed out without help on the other side.

Personnel wise the Chiefs are built to destroy this defense. They play too light (nickel and dime looks when not warranted) too often, which is part of why the Chargers suck against the run. Hunt and Ware will gash them as they've both done in the past. Kelce down the seam is one easy way to break a Cover 3. Another is guys picking up yards after the catch, something basically every skill position player on the Chiefs is capable of doing besides the backup TEs.

Defense is a little more worrisome, but Rivers will play like an accordion. He may be pumped up for a while, but he'll deflate.

These douches got it all wrong. I honestly think this game will be one sided and they're on the wrong side.