Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kidlet has chosen...
Older daughter was pursued by many universities (really, we get mail DAILY), being a girl going into Aerospace Engineering.  Her choices boiled down to Wichita State and Missouri S&T.

She made the decision today to join Shocker Nation.

GO WICHITA STATE!
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
[Image: 5bbf203a61bd74e501dee4a25cb382e5.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So she'll be moving to Wichita.

The city I live in.

I always put doo-dah in my profile as my hometown, but that's a less than flattering nickname we gave our city.

The good news:  It's pretty boring.  Night life is tame.  So is harder to get into trouble.

The bad news?  It's pretty boring.  The night life is tame, and there's less chances to have crazy fun times.

But BOY is it cheap to live here.

Also, Charles Koch lives on a tiny island on a man-made lake.  

His basement can snow.  I'm not shitting you.  I've seen it.
(03-01-2018, 07:01 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: So she'll be moving to Wichita.

The city I live in.

I always put doo-dah in my profile as my hometown, but that's a less than flattering nickname we gave our city.

The good news:  It's pretty boring.  Night life is tame.  So is harder to get into trouble.

The bad news?  It's pretty boring.  The night life is tame, and there's less chances to have crazy fun times.

She will be living on campus, yes (WSU's dorms are so nice, I kinda wish I could live there).

Where did that nick-name come from?

My kid is a raging nerd.  She'll make her own fun, I'm sure, but she's not a "let's go out and party" kind of kid (my younger one, when she gets to that age, will be the exact opposite).

It's cool we can pay in-state tuition to WSU if we live in Fort Worth or Kansas City (or Tulsa, apparently).  That helped a lot.

Re: Koch's basement: I believe it.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
I was born in Wichita. I'm sure the city has plans to erect a statue in my honor any day now.
(03-02-2018, 08:32 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:

The city I live in.

She will be living on campus, yes (WSU's dorms are so nice, I kinda wish I could live there).

My kid is a raging nerd.  She'll make her own fun, I'm sure, but she's not a "let's go out and party" kind of kid (my younger one, when she gets to that age, will be the exact opposite).

It's cool we can pay in-state tuition to WSU if we live in Fort Worth or Kansas City (or Tulsa, apparently).  That helped a lot.

Regarding the Kochs... we did a bunch of remodeling work on their swimming pool.  They wanted it done as cleanly as possible, meant manually taking all of the removed concrete out of the house one five gallon bucket at a time.  We bid it so high as to prevent them from even considering it, and they were like "yeah, okay".  So we did it.  

After we had done the remodeling exactly as requested, his wife asked us to remove it and redo it the way it was.  She insisted the work was fine and she wasn't unhappy and paid us fully, it's just that the finished product didn't look like she expected and once again we gave them a bid so high as to encourage them to ask someone else.  Again, they accepted.  

It was well over 100K, and they spent it like they were buying a sandwich.  The work SUUUUCKED, and I was a grunt at that point making hourly.
(03-02-2018, 02:36 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 08:32 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:

The city I live in.

Regarding the Kochs... we did a bunch of remodeling work on their swimming pool.  They wanted it done as cleanly as possible, meant manually taking all of the removed concrete out of the house one five gallon bucket at a time.  We bid it so high as to prevent them from even considering it, and they were like "yeah, okay".  So we did it.  

After we had done the remodeling exactly as requested, his wife asked us to remove it and redo it the way it was.  She insisted the work was fine and she wasn't unhappy and paid us fully, it's just that the finished product didn't look like she expected and once again we gave them a bid so high as to encourage them to ask someone else.  Again, they accepted.  

It was well over 100K, and they spent it like they were buying a sandwich.  The work SUUUUCKED, and I was a grunt at that point making hourly.

Man, I bet the Kochs get guac on their Chipotle even.

Congrats to kidlet. Becoming an aerospace engineer would be one step closer to that long held goal of making her a female Buckaroo Bonzai.
(03-02-2018, 12:49 PM)DallasChief Wrote: I was born in Wichita. I'm sure the city has plans to erect a statue in my honor any day now.

That's an effigy, bro.