Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

*** Chiefs 2018 Offseason Thread ***

(10-29-2018, 11:24 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 12:38 AM)Coach Wrote:  Marcus Peters - 51.8 PFF rating - #100 CB

Matching the eye test as he got burnt several times today.

He's not getting the turnovers either.  Just a single interception.  I haven't watched the rams, are they using him in the same way?  Allowing him to play off, read the triangle, and react to the ball?  That's not really how Wade likes to play defense, and I was skeptical peters could continue forcing turnovers at that rate in Wade's system.  

I mean normally at this point Peters has caused 5 turnovers.  It's what allowed you to overlook his inconsistent coverage.  Now he's just a CB with 1 INT who gets burned a lot.

It looked like they used him in shadow coverage against the Packers.

(10-29-2018, 08:09 PM)Coach Wrote:  

He's not getting the turnovers either.  Just a single interception.  I haven't watched the rams, are they using him in the same way?  Allowing him to play off, read the triangle, and react to the ball?  That's not really how Wade likes to play defense, and I was skeptical peters could continue forcing turnovers at that rate in Wade's system.  

I mean normally at this point Peters has caused 5 turnovers.  It's what allowed you to overlook his inconsistent coverage.  Now he's just a CB with 1 INT who gets burned a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shadow coverage'.  Usually when I hear the term 'shadow' in this context it refers to a CB following the best WR all over the formation regardless of where he lines up.  

Because of that I'm thinking you mean trail technique, where the DB's coverage is between the QB and the WR.  Which would make sense, because Wade likes pressure defenses.  I'm not really concerned about who's right or wrong, but I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.  

Because that would not be the ideal defense for Peters.  He plays more like a safety... which he'd be AMAZING at if he were a willing tackler.

(10-30-2018, 10:11 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shadow coverage'.  Usually when I hear the term 'shadow' in this context it refers to a CB following the best WR all over the formation regardless of where he lines up.  

Because of that I'm thinking you mean trail technique, where the DB's coverage is between the QB and the WR.  Which would make sense, because Wade likes pressure defenses.  I'm not really concerned about who's right or wrong, but I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.  

Because that would not be the ideal defense for Peters.  He plays more like a safety... which he'd be AMAZING at if he were a willing tackler.

It looked like he followed Adams most of the game.  It isn't trail.  I'm not concerned who's right or wrong either, just what I saw looked like he was shadow coverage.

(10-30-2018, 04:57 PM)Coach Wrote:  

It looked like he followed Adams most of the game.  It isn't trail.  I'm not concerned who's right or wrong either, just what I saw looked like he was shadow coverage.

I don't know what you mean by shadow coverage.  Peters got most of his turnovers playing a deep zone and reacting to the ball.  If they play a ton of man and cover 2, for example, he's not in position to be most effective.  On a team like Seattle, LA, or SF he would thrive because of the primarily cover 3 scheme they run.

(10-30-2018, 08:39 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 11:24 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  He's not getting the turnovers either.  Just a single interception.  I haven't watched the rams, are they using him in the same way?  Allowing him to play off, read the triangle, and react to the ball?  That's not really how Wade likes to play defense, and I was skeptical peters could continue forcing turnovers at that rate in Wade's system.  

I don't know what you mean by shadow coverage.  Peters got most of his turnovers playing a deep zone and reacting to the ball.  If they play a ton of man and cover 2, for example, he's not in position to be most effective.  On a team like Seattle, LA, or SF he would thrive because of the primarily cover 3 scheme they run.

Shadow coverage is CB's who are consistently asked to travel with the opposition's #1 WR.  In this case, Adams was the #1 WR for Green Bay.  I do not recall Peters ever playing man-to-man (MM) all the time against opposition's #1 WR when he was here in KC.

That's why he wasn't effective against Green Bay because it appeared he was playing man with cover 1.  This clip is just one of what I saw.  https://twitter.com/SimmsAndLefkoe/statu...3622729728

Everyone is playing man, with Cover 1.

(10-30-2018, 09:02 PM)Coach Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 08:09 PM)Coach Wrote:  It looked like they used him in shadow coverage against the Packers.

Shadow coverage is CB's who are consistently asked to travel with the opposition's #1 WR.  In this case, Adams was the #1 WR for Green Bay.  I do not recall Peters ever playing man-to-man (MM) all the time against opposition's #1 WR when he was here in KC.

That's why he wasn't effective against Green Bay because it appeared he was playing man with cover 1.  This clip is just one of what I saw.  https://twitter.com/SimmsAndLefkoe/statu...3622729728

The best part of that clip is how he doesn't even attempt to tackle the WR after getting beat.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

(10-30-2018, 09:02 PM)Coach Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 08:09 PM)Coach Wrote:  It looked like they used him in shadow coverage against the Packers.

That's what I thought you meant.  Just wanted to make sure.  

It's what I'd expect from Wade.  I didn't think Peters was a good scheme fit with Wade, but others thought he'd be super awesome.  That's not where he excels.  He excels when he can keep his eyes on the QB.  

Talib, obviously, fits Wade's scheme perfectly.  Peters is a square peg in a pressure man dominated scheme.  It's just not his strength.  He's a read and react play making type.  He's not a 'do everything' corner, but in the right situation he's a takeaway machine.

Also, Simms and Lefkoe is my favorite NFL podcast by a pretty big margin.  Chris is a lot easier to listen to than his dad.