Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*** Chiefs 2018 Offseason Thread ***
(02-14-2018, 07:06 AM)DallasChief Wrote: DJ will go down as one of my favorite Chiefs of all time.

Co-sign.
I hope DJ decides to retire. The risk isn't worth the reward.

And he's a hero in KC.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(02-14-2018, 01:58 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I hope DJ decides to retire. The risk isn't worth the reward.

And he's a hero in KC.

He's already said he plans on playing a few more years. He does plan on retiring a Chief though.
(02-14-2018, 02:45 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 01:58 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I hope DJ decides to retire. The risk isn't worth the reward.

And he's a hero in KC.

He's already said he plans on playing a few more years. He does plan on retiring a Chief though.

Question is, will anybody sign him?
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(02-14-2018, 04:38 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 02:45 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

And he's a hero in KC.

Question is, will anybody sign him?

Absolutely. It just may be less money than he wants. I suspect if given no other option he'd play on a 1 year vet minimum deal.
DO y'all remember when they first drafted him.  Lots of people because of is name, Derrick were unfairly comparing him to the late Derrick Thomas. Man didn't have a chance at first. Even his jersey number was close.  That first year a lot of people were calling him a bust because he didn't step in and be Thomas.  It wasn't fair.  There will never be another Derrick Thomas butthe character of Johnson stayed the course and his consistent play finally one everyone over.  Kinad a like Comparing Arron Rogers to Brett Farve.  But it was a bit harder with Thomas having died the year before.  He will make he ring of honor easily
[Image: HG.gif]
Chiefs sign former Raider CB David Amerson

Arrowhead Pride
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/2/16...id-amerson

Arrowhead Addict, Matt Conner's thoughts
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/02/17/d...s-raiders/

So, here are my thoughts. Amerson had a poor season last year plagued by injury. That's both an excuse and a concern. His pro career has been up and down. He played awesome in college, so poor in Washington he got cut despite being a 2nd round pick a couple seasons prior, played very good in 2015 for the Raiders and was PFF's Most Improved Player of the Year, got a big contract, played okay in 2016, then had his aforementioned injury-plagued down year in 2017 and got cut.

This is a very Veach move. Veach identified a player he liked coming out of college, a player he thinks is currently undervalued, and is taking a chance that his coaching staff can build the player back up. We are paying peanuts in base salary, just $2M, with incentives. As Matt Conner points out freaking Neiko Thorpe is out there making $2.1M somewhere. I'm pretty sure veteran water boys start at $1.5M per year. Besides, incentives are almost always worth paying because you're paying for actual performance, not on faith.

You have to understand what is wanted out of Amerson. We don't need him to be CB1 or even CB2 (though he might be playing on the outside). Even if he does play well would be no better than the 3rd most used CB after Fuller and Peters. Heck, he might be the 4th CB after Steven Nelson, even if he's playing decent. This move provides depth, experience, and potential, but we are not reliant on it panning out.

So, while I'm not entirely sold on the idea of Amerson as a starter, there just isn't really any negative to this. We're out nothing if he doesn't perform or his injury history catches him and the odds of him having a good year are far greater than zero.

You can't have a whole roster of castoffs like this, but it's always worth taking a chance on a couple players like this every year.

EDIT: Actually a real reason I'm not a fan is even though it'd be expensive I'd like to see the Chiefs get Kendall Fuller's brother Kyle. It was a pipe dream to begin with, the type of shit that works in Madden, but signing Amerson does make this less likely.
Here is David Amerson's draft profile.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d...id=2540170

Note the NFL Comparsion.....

Quote:NFL Comparison Sean Smith
(02-17-2018, 10:41 PM)Coach Wrote: Here is David Amerson's draft profile.

That's interesting, but he's been in the league long enough I don't think looking at a draft profile will tell you much.

For example, that profile at one point questions if Amerson would have to transition to free safety because he has the size for it and he's a little stiff in the hips. Looking at what he's done in the NFL, he definitely has functional hip fluidity. Besides that, in his NFL career he's been much better playing man instead of zone even though he mostly played zone in college. It's outdated information.
(02-18-2018, 09:46 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 10:41 PM)Coach Wrote: Here is David Amerson's draft profile.

That's interesting, but he's been in the league long enough I don't think looking at a draft profile will tell you much.

For example, that profile at one point questions if Amerson would have to transition to free safety because he has the size for it and he's a little stiff in the hips. Looking at what he's done in the NFL, he definitely has functional hip fluidity. Besides that, in his NFL career he's been much better playing man instead of zone even though he mostly played zone in college. It's outdated information.

While you are correct that it is outdated information, it's still information to keep in mind when conducting transaction moves.  But what I do recall about Amerson's professional career so far is inconsistent play.  Plus, coaching also matters, so I do wonder if he will do better under KC than he would in Oakland.

That being said, I also wonder if the Chiefs will consider trying him on the FS position.  I think he would be great in that position.