Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

*** Chiefs 2018 Offseason Thread ***

Have we signed Breeland yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(07-25-2018, 03:08 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(07-20-2018, 07:16 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  USA Today predicts the Chiefs to finish tied for last in the AFC West at 7-9:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...794037002/

So, here are my thoughts on this piece of trash rag's predictions. Big Grin

Dolts (10-6)
I can almost understand the media's love fest for the Chargers because they look better on paper than they really are. They should be able to realize this by now, the Chargers haven't been as good as on paper since LT retired. Rivers is a decent QB that folds under pressure, makes too many mistakes, and puts up some sick garbage time stats.

So long as he's the focus of their offense they'll look good statistically and won't win anything better than 2nd place in the West. I'd guess they'll be around 9-7 again.

Donks (9-7)
Gotta say they have WAY more faith in Keenum than anyone that isn't a Donkey homer should, and I would know, I watched a decent amount of Vikings football last year. Do they really think Keenum, Chubb as a rookie, dick all else, minus some players leaving equals 4 more wins?

Everyone keeps thinking that because of the D the Broncos have perpetually been "one QB away" from being a SB competitor again. This is such a dated belief that ignores other clear cut holes in the roster and players aging out or leaving. This is the Broncos' ceiling as far as I'm concerned, and a more reasonable expectation would be 7-9, and don't forget that'd be an improvement over 5-11 last year.

Faiders (7-9)
I agree with this take. Chuckie needs time to adjust to coaching again and the players need to adjust to him. Even if you believe in Chuckie long-term (I don't) it's unreasonable to assume the team takes off right away. Plus I just can't help but laugh at Gruden's selection of veteran players. He's like that friend that plays fantasy football and drafts a bunch of old, crappy players because he doesn't know anything about the newer ones.

The Raiders aren't as talented as some believe, so this is a pretty reasonable expectation, though I'm guessing more like 6-10 just like last year.

the Good Guys (7-9)
Look, I liked Alex and still do. In years past I had heard pundits claim he was a limiting force on the team, both in terms of limiting his good and his bad... and I'd agree with that. The team was going to have to get lucky to some extent to win some playoff games. Then Alex had an anomaly of a season that had about 65 more yards a game than his career average and 35 higher than his average year in KC. Suddenly the pundits are having trouble seeing Mahomes have as high of a ceiling as Alex.

In his one game Mahomes had 284 yards while playing with backups against mostly starters (until later in the game). It's just one game, obviously, but that was still about 25 more yards than Alex averaged in his career year. Too much focus is paid to the 0 TDs, 1 INT. If you watch the game Mahomes did not throw a bunch of interceptable balls and he led the team on multiple scoring drives. The fact that he didn't finish those drives personally is negligible unless you think that's something that will be a problem for him. I don't.

Some turmoil, changing out Alex for Mahomes and turning over a large number of defenders, might be just what the Chiefs need. I'm expecting about 10-6.

Also don't forget KC was winning like 24-6 when they yanked Mahomes and put in Bray.  

After Bray did what Bray does and the game became close, they put Mahomes back in and he went out and won the game.

I repeat:  KC will win 12 games this year.

Unless, god forbid, Mahomes gets hurt and we have to roll with Chad Henne.

We're not winning 12 games.

(07-25-2018, 05:14 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  Have we signed Breeland yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrington Harrison tweeted yesterday that breeland was in camp with the chiefs and the team didn't plan on letting him leave without a contract if he passed the physical. But then today breeland was still at camp doing a little workout and chatting with coaches but breeland told reporters 'can't spill the beans' when asked if he had signed

(07-25-2018, 05:26 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(07-20-2018, 07:16 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  USA Today predicts the Chiefs to finish tied for last in the AFC West at 7-9:

Dolts (10-6)
I can almost understand the media's love fest for the Chargers because they look better on paper than they really are. They should be able to realize this by now, the Chargers haven't been as good as on paper since LT retired. Rivers is a decent QB that folds under pressure, makes too many mistakes, and puts up some sick garbage time stats.

So long as he's the focus of their offense they'll look good statistically and won't win anything better than 2nd place in the West. I'd guess they'll be around 9-7 again.

Donks (9-7)
Gotta say they have WAY more faith in Keenum than anyone that isn't a Donkey homer should, and I would know, I watched a decent amount of Vikings football last year. Do they really think Keenum, Chubb as a rookie, dick all else, minus some players leaving equals 4 more wins?

Everyone keeps thinking that because of the D the Broncos have perpetually been "one QB away" from being a SB competitor again. This is such a dated belief that ignores other clear cut holes in the roster and players aging out or leaving. This is the Broncos' ceiling as far as I'm concerned, and a more reasonable expectation would be 7-9, and don't forget that'd be an improvement over 5-11 last year.

Faiders (7-9)
I agree with this take. Chuckie needs time to adjust to coaching again and the players need to adjust to him. Even if you believe in Chuckie long-term (I don't) it's unreasonable to assume the team takes off right away. Plus I just can't help but laugh at Gruden's selection of veteran players. He's like that friend that plays fantasy football and drafts a bunch of old, crappy players because he doesn't know anything about the newer ones.

The Raiders aren't as talented as some believe, so this is a pretty reasonable expectation, though I'm guessing more like 6-10 just like last year.

the Good Guys (7-9)
Look, I liked Alex and still do. In years past I had heard pundits claim he was a limiting force on the team, both in terms of limiting his good and his bad... and I'd agree with that. The team was going to have to get lucky to some extent to win some playoff games. Then Alex had an anomaly of a season that had about 65 more yards a game than his career average and 35 higher than his average year in KC. Suddenly the pundits are having trouble seeing Mahomes have as high of a ceiling as Alex.

In his one game Mahomes had 284 yards while playing with backups against mostly starters (until later in the game). It's just one game, obviously, but that was still about 25 more yards than Alex averaged in his career year. Too much focus is paid to the 0 TDs, 1 INT. If you watch the game Mahomes did not throw a bunch of interceptable balls and he led the team on multiple scoring drives. The fact that he didn't finish those drives personally is negligible unless you think that's something that will be a problem for him. I don't.

Some turmoil, changing out Alex for Mahomes and turning over a large number of defenders, might be just what the Chiefs need. I'm expecting about 10-6.

Also don't forget KC was winning like 24-6 when they yanked Mahomes and put in Bray.  

After Bray did what Bray does and the game became close, they put Mahomes back in and he went out and won the game.

Yeah, people said that last year.

(07-25-2018, 09:16 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

Dolts (10-6)

Donks (9-7)

Faiders (7-9)

the Good Guys (7-9)

And we only won 10... and had losses to the raiders, giants, bills and jets.

(07-25-2018, 09:55 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  

Dolts (10-6)

Donks (9-7)

Faiders (7-9)

the Good Guys (7-9)

12 games.  KC will be the talk of the NFL.

(07-25-2018, 10:45 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(07-25-2018, 03:08 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  Also don't forget KC was winning like 24-6 when they yanked Mahomes and put in Bray.  

I like Preseason Optimism Jonas.  It doesn't happen every year.

I also really like this team.

12 wins is hard to achieve. Unless you have a killer roster and/or killer QB, you have to get a little lucky to get to 12 even if you're otherwise pretty good. Hence my guarded optimism of a 10 or 11 win season. Mahomes will get us in the neighborhood, I have no doubt.

Still, I don't think this division is tough. The Chiefs have dominated it for a reason the last few seasons, and that reason was not Alex Smith. For all of his shortcomings, Andy Reid is obviously a top 5 coach.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that Bashaud Breeland left town without a contract. It's always possible he could come back and maybe is just going elsewhere to determine a fair market value for his services, but odds are he's off the table.

(07-25-2018, 11:04 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(07-25-2018, 05:26 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  We're not winning 12 games.

Damn right.  

This is the first time since 1993 I believe KC is building a team that can contend for a championship.

The defense has some holes, but I think 100% this is a championship level offense.  

I think Marcus Peters hurt the team more than people think.  I think he limited what KC could do defensively.  He created a ton of turnovers but KC went from a two time top 10 defense to a two time bottom 10 defense in terms of yards allowed instantly.  He always plays off coverage, doesn't defend the run, and gives up big plays in exchange for big turnovers.  One of the best games KC had defensively in terms of not allowing first downs was against Oakland... when Peters was suspended.  Now correlation doesn't equal causation, but there's a lot of correlation going on here.  There are other factors though (Houston's injury, Abdullah's retirement)

I think KC will get less turnovers, but will improve in other defensive metrics.  

12 games.  If the 2016 team could win 12, this team will win 12.

(07-26-2018, 09:57 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(07-25-2018, 11:04 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(07-25-2018, 09:16 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  Yeah, people said that last year.

Damn right.  

This is the first time since 1993 I believe KC is building a team that can contend for a championship.

The defense has some holes, but I think 100% this is a championship level offense.  

I think Marcus Peters hurt the team more than people think.  I think he limited what KC could do defensively.  He created a ton of turnovers but KC went from a two time top 10 defense to a two time bottom 10 defense in terms of yards allowed instantly.  He always plays off coverage, doesn't defend the run, and gives up big plays in exchange for big turnovers.  One of the best games KC had defensively in terms of not allowing first downs was against Oakland... when Peters was suspended.  Now correlation doesn't equal causation, but there's a lot of correlation going on here.  There are other factors though (Houston's injury, Abdullah's retirement)

I think KC will get less turnovers, but will improve in other defensive metrics

12 games.  If the 2016 team could win 12, this team will win 12.

Would it even be realistically possible to get worse?