Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread

"time to go do commercials"

[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates

(02-06-2019, 10:02 AM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  "time to go do commercials"

"Have to watch basketballlll..."

I also really liked Payton's "we would've fucking won!" because I picture him drunkenly doing that in a bar for the remainder of the offseason.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/109186421...13825.html

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/26565929 via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

I'm just bumping this thread to remind chiefs fans that we have the best player in the NFL.

Yeah, that's a thing. It's neat isn't it?

(07-20-2019, 01:56 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  I'm just bumping this thread to remind chiefs fans that we have the best player in the NFL.

Yeah, that's a thing.  It's neat isn't it?

Barnwell gets it:

Quote:Don't be surprised if ... Patrick Mahomes is better on deep balls

The most exciting moment in any given week of the NFL season was Mahomes looking downfield and firing. The second-year quarterback produced a stunning debut campaign as the Chiefs' starter, as the league MVP became the second member of the 5,000-50 club with 5,097 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns in a single season.

Typically, this would be the moment where I'd point out how unlikely it is for any quarterback to produce those numbers in a single season. It's fair to say Mahomes probably won't make it back to the 5,000-50 club again in 2019, if only because a lot has to go right for any passer to make it there in a given year.

In terms of deep passes, though, Mahomes left a fair number of big-play opportunities on the table. The first half of the regular-season loss to the Patriots comes to mind as a place where Mahomes narrowly missed scores. He more than made up for the misses, of course, but it's scary to say that there might even be more chances for him to make magic happen in 2019.

The NFL's Next-Gen Stats define deep passes as throws traveling 20 or more yards in the air and open targets as receivers with three or more yards of separation between themselves and the closest defender. Mahomes attempted 28 deep passes to open receivers last season, 11 more than anybody else in football. He completed 14 of those passes for an even 50%; the rest of the league completed just over 62% of those same throws. Next-Gen Stats also estimates the likelihood of Mahomes completing each of those attempts and projected a completion percentage of 59.3% on those passes, much closer to the league average than his actual mark.

Chances are that Mahomes won't have quite as many receivers running totally free in the secondary as he did in 2018, but given how talented the brilliant Texas Tech product looked last season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was more efficient when those receivers do come free in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2723...ngs-happen

(07-22-2019, 11:43 AM)NOLA Wrote:  Barnwell gets it:

Quote:Don't be surprised if ... Patrick Mahomes is better on deep balls

The most exciting moment in any given week of the NFL season was Mahomes looking downfield and firing. The second-year quarterback produced a stunning debut campaign as the Chiefs' starter, as the league MVP became the second member of the 5,000-50 club with 5,097 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns in a single season.

Typically, this would be the moment where I'd point out how unlikely it is for any quarterback to produce those numbers in a single season. It's fair to say Mahomes probably won't make it back to the 5,000-50 club again in 2019, if only because a lot has to go right for any passer to make it there in a given year.

In terms of deep passes, though, Mahomes left a fair number of big-play opportunities on the table. The first half of the regular-season loss to the Patriots comes to mind as a place where Mahomes narrowly missed scores. He more than made up for the misses, of course, but it's scary to say that there might even be more chances for him to make magic happen in 2019.

The NFL's Next-Gen Stats define deep passes as throws traveling 20 or more yards in the air and open targets as receivers with three or more yards of separation between themselves and the closest defender. Mahomes attempted 28 deep passes to open receivers last season, 11 more than anybody else in football. He completed 14 of those passes for an even 50%; the rest of the league completed just over 62% of those same throws. Next-Gen Stats also estimates the likelihood of Mahomes completing each of those attempts and projected a completion percentage of 59.3% on those passes, much closer to the league average than his actual mark.

Chances are that Mahomes won't have quite as many receivers running totally free in the secondary as he did in 2018, but given how talented the brilliant Texas Tech product looked last season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was more efficient when those receivers do come free in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2723...ngs-happen

Yeah, he gets it. Mahomes, despite his magnificent year and generational arm talent, has a lot of room to improve on deep connections, and some of that was just tough luck and a lack of long term chemistry with these receivers. It's safe to say his deep ball percentage will improve.

There is one thing I'd fight Barnwell on, and that is his assertion that Mahomes "won't have quite as many receivers running totally free"... why? Because we lost Chris Conley?

The Legion of Zoom (yes, I'm going to do my part to make that a thing) is legit, and I think the totality of Mahomes' weapons will be better. Hardman is a great addition, and he might be our 5th or 6th option after considering Kelce and Williams.

EDIT: Also, a lot of these players were schemed open by Andy. That's not going to change much.

For my part, I'm vetoing Legion of Zoom.

(07-22-2019, 03:50 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  For my part, I'm vetoing Legion of Zoom.
Way too derivative.  

Being TV or pop culture derivative is one thing, but being NFL derivative is weak sauce.  Do NOT enter that sauce at the county fair.  

Because it's WEAK.