Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raiders Del Rio out, Gruden in?
Reports are than gruden will coaching the raiders next year with an ownership stake. How do you guys feel about that? I like gruden but I don't think he's as an amazing coach as he seems to get credit for being.
(01-01-2018, 08:14 AM)tyecopeland Wrote: Reports are than gruden will coaching the raiders next year with an ownership stake. How do you guys feel about that? I like gruden but I don't think he's as an amazing coach as he seems to get credit for being.

I think Gruden and Gannon were Payton and Brees before Payton and Brees.  Which is to say neither the coach nor the QB would look quite as brilliant without the other.

Gruden with Derek Carr could be pretty good, though.  Which would be bad, I guess.  But probably fun to watch.
(01-01-2018, 08:14 AM)tyecopeland Wrote: Reports are than gruden will coaching the raiders next year with an ownership stake. How do you guys feel about that? I like gruden but I don't think he's as an amazing coach as he seems to get credit for being.

Pretty much agree. He used to be good when he had an MVP caliber QB, and I honestly don't think Carr is that.

Gruden probably doesn't really have the connections anymore either, the loyal assistant coaches to follow him and know his system inside and out.
I have to wonder if the game hasn't passed him by, but we'll see.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(01-02-2018, 08:53 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I have to wonder if the game hasn't passed him by, but we'll see.

I know I'm probably alone here, but I'm going to miss him on MNF.  That's is close as I'll ever get to actually getting drunk at a bar with an NFL coach while he explains a game to me, whether I want him to or not.  It was nice.

(Ironically, I once saw Jack Del Rio at a bar here at happy hour while he was still HC at Jax.  It was like the first or second Friday of August.  He definitely should have been somewhere else.)
(01-02-2018, 08:56 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 08:53 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I have to wonder if the game hasn't passed him by, but we'll see.

I know I'm probably alone here, but I'm going to miss him on MNF.  That's is close as I'll ever get to actually getting drunk at a bar with an NFL coach while he explains a game to me, whether I want him to or not.  It was nice.

(Ironically, I once saw Jack Del Rio at a bar here at happy hour while he was still HC at Jax.  It was like the first or second Friday of August.  He definitely should have been somewhere else.)

I didn't listen to national announcers much until this past game Chiefs vs. Denver, so I dunno.

I certainly hope that Gannon stays in the broadcast booth.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(01-02-2018, 09:01 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 08:56 AM)NOLA Wrote:

I didn't listen to national announcers much until this past game Chiefs vs. Denver, so I dunno.

I certainly hope that Gannon stays in the broadcast booth.

Pretty sure I've read rumors that Gruden wants Gannon for his coaching staff.  Which is strange because I'm not aware of Gannon having any coaching experience, but who knows?  He's a smart guy.  The money's probably about the same for him at either job.
The rumor is they’re giving Gruden part ownership. Does that mean they can never fire him? If so, I’m all in on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think Gruden will be that great in Oakland. I feel he will have an impact for one year like Del Rio did and then back to the normal Raiders. It feels like Oakland is just doing anything to keep people going to the games in a town that they are leaving.

I live just over an hours from that crappy stadium and I still don't go there. I hope the tradition of the Raiders disappointing their fans every year continues!!!
[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!
(01-01-2018, 09:26 AM)NOLA Wrote:

I think Gruden and Gannon were Payton and Brees before Payton and Brees.  Which is to say neither the coach nor the QB would look quite as brilliant without the other.

Gruden with Derek Carr could be pretty good, though.  Which would be bad, I guess.  But probably fun to watch.

Gannon was in a perfect situation that went beyond coaching.  He had Garner, Rice, Brown and a damn good offensive line.  That offense was STACKED and in the perfect system.

It's no secret I don't hold Payton in as high regard as you.  Brilliant offensive mind, no doubt.  Brees is a stud anywhere, but probably not madden stats fantasy football god stud he has been under Payton, cos that man can scheme an offense like a master tactician.  I think he'd have won more games if he didn't spend so much of his career with AWFUL defenses, and you have to put that on Payton.  In 11 seasons he's had 7 bottom 10 defenses.  Due to the suspension in '12, which I was against, Brees is even worse.  NO had the 32nd ranked defense in 12, so Brees had played with a bottom 10 defense in 8 of his 12 seasons in New Orleans.  4 of those were bottom 5.     The number of games he's played in where the opposition scored 24 or more is astounding. He also has the 3rd best record in that situation in spite of being in it seemingly every damn week.  I think he's played in about 120+ games (including 12 in '14) in which his D shat all over the place, and he still won about 30% of those games which is VERY good.  The more you really look into specific stats the more Brees stands out.  His deep ball accuracy is unbelievable too compared to anyone over the course of his career.  

I don't think Gannon could have been in any better situation than Gruen, Rice, Brown, Garner, and that OL.  Both statistically and in terms of chances of winning big games.  Perfect system, perfect surroundings, and the perfect coach (that basically let him run the team).

I don't think all of that is true with Brees.  I think he could have won more games somewhere, but wouldn't have put up the same obscene yardage and TD totals.