Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys
My Dad described him as looking a little like Elway, the good and the bad.  Anybody else get that vibe?

I'm gonna go looking for highlights now.
(01-01-2018, 09:14 AM)NOLA Wrote: My Dad described him as looking a little like Elway, the good and the bad.  Anybody else get that vibe?

No need for highlights. Here's every play of his.

Good and bad. I could make excuses for pretty much every bad except his interception. That appeared to just flat out be an overthrow. His receivers did drop a number of passes, but a couple of those may be because he rocketed it more than necessary.

I still say worse case scenario we're looking at a Matt Stafford type guy, a guy that will put up outstanding numbers but still lose because of key turnovers and missing easier plays. As far as the vibe, Elway isn't a bad comparison. He seemed to have a knack of making things happen on 3rd down and on the final drive.
(12-31-2017, 10:22 PM)warthog Wrote: IMahomes looked great. Stats aren’t everything but he would have had a better stay line if Robinson would have caught his perfect throw in the end zone. What I saw from Mahomes was intangibles  that Smith does not have. Mahomes made third down conversions when Smith would have been in a fetal position. Mahomes made completeions when Smith would have thrown it away. And his game winning drive was like a vet.

Don't know if that's the criticism I'd chose to make a week after Alex did this (skip to 2:10)

There are clear differences between the two in terms of strengths and play style, but Alex, especially this year, has not been doing Damon Huard impressions.
Seth Keysor doesn't have his full All-22 review of Mahomes yet, but here's his 5 favorite plays from the game.
[/url]
[url=https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/1/16837486/the-top-5-patrick-mahomes-wow-plays-in-his-first-chiefs-start]The top 5 Patrick Mahomes wow plays in his first Chiefs start

Still has pretty GIFs and stuff.
(01-01-2018, 10:20 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 09:14 AM)NOLA Wrote: My Dad described him as looking a little like Elway, the good and the bad.  Anybody else get that vibe?

Good and bad. I could make excuses for pretty much every bad except his interception. That appeared to just flat out be an overthrow. His receivers did drop a number of passes, but a couple of those may be because he rocketed it more than necessary.

I still say worse case scenario we're looking at a Matt Stafford type guy, a guy that will put up outstanding numbers but still lose because of key turnovers and missing easier plays. As far as the vibe, Elway isn't a bad comparison. He seemed to have a knack of making things happen on 3rd down and on the final drive.

I appreciate the video, but it looks like it's been blocked by the NFL's lawyers.  The breakdown with the gifs was pretty sweet, though.  Thanks.
So why did Tyler Bray come into this game?  Who finished it?
(01-01-2018, 11:49 AM)NOLA Wrote:

I appreciate the video, but it looks like it's been blocked by the NFL's lawyers.  The breakdown with the gifs was pretty sweet, though.  Thanks.

Actually, in the middle of the screen should be an option that says "Watch on YouTube". Click that and it should work.

The NFL hasn't blocked the video (it's their video on their channel), just blocked people from viewing it on other sites. They don't want people taking credit for their videos, I guess.
(01-01-2018, 12:04 PM)NOLA Wrote: So why did Tyler Bray come into this game?  Who finished it?

Bray came in when the Chiefs were up 24-10 and it looked in hand, then immediately fumbled his first handoff attempt for a scoop and score for the Broncos. Next drive was a 3 and out and by then Denver tied the game, forcing the Chiefs to put Mahomes back in to win the game on the final FG drive with some excellent plays along the way.

I just watched that video, thanks for the link. I saw a lot of plays where he got away with bad decisions. Very typical of a young qb obviously. 

Kinda reminded me of that year that nick foles had with the Eagles a few years back where he only ended up with a couple picks on the season but if you watched him play you could have sworn he should have had 2 dozen. I'm not saying he's nick foles though just saying that reminded me of that.

He's also undoubtedly talented and got a cannon, he also made Albert wilson some money in the offseason if wilson is a free agent. Good lord he destroyed the broncos secondary.

He also deserved a td pass, one of those to robinson should have been scores. If he developed into stafford I'd feel pretty good about him. Especially since the second pick we used to get him ended up being in the 20s. I was worried about it going to be quite a bit higher.
Mahomes just does things nobody else can do.  

He proved it again.  Every game he plays he makes at least 3-4 throws that make me go 'How can a human do THAT?"