Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Chiefs fans, Herman Edwards?
(11-30-2017, 09:56 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 08:28 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 10:50 PM)Mr.Smartass2U Wrote: Hello guys.  It's been awhile, good seeing you all again. I'm hearing Arizona State is interested in hiring him, that's the reason I ask I'm personally a UCLA fan.  That aside, from what I remember, Vermeil left the team in ruins, defense was horrible besides Jared Allen, and the offense was built on aging talent like Trent Green/Eddie Kennison/Tony Gonzalez/Willie Roaf/Will Shields/Larry Johnson that quickly started declining or outright retired right when Herm got in.  My question is:

1.  What did you think of him as a coach?

2.  How well was he finding young talent for the rebuild?  

3.  Was he a victim of circumstance?

1.  I think he was among the worst coaches Kc has had, and I routinely called him a fraud. 

2.  Terribly.  He hit on a few first rounders and in about 3 years managed to bring in about 4-6 good players of varying quality.  He did have the luxury of having a ton of draft picks in a very deep 2008 draft due to trading Jared Allen, and he managed to nab a few good players (Charles, Flowers, Carr).  The team continually declined under his 'leadership' and never showed any signs of turning it around after he moved on from DV's leftovers.  He refused to really take advantage of free agency.  Had a 4-12 and 2-14 team that had first pick over waiver wire players (a great way to turn a team around is fill holes with these players).  No attempt was really made to find a QB.  They spent 1 3rd rounder and pulled a guy off of Waivers (Thigpen) and that's it.  Made no attempt to find a QB after Green.  

DV didn't leave the team in ruins, but he knew their window was going to slam shut quickly.   Herm knew that too.  Herm rode that talent to the playoffs.  He won 6 games with his guys and the team had no identity whatsoever.  He had no vision for what he was building.  Fans knew what was coming, but fans also expect progress.  

3.  I've seen plenty of coaches take competitive  aging teams and make a transition by keeping select veterans, acquiring new talent, ensuring the most important positions are filled.  Herm just blew it up all at once and tried the 'let's basically become an expansion team' method of rebuilding that works exactly never.

But I don't have to say it.  I'll let Herm's own words define his offensive philosophy.  

"When we score seven points, I’ll say we’re slow starting. If we score 21 points, I’ll say, ‘Whoa, we scored a lot of points.’ Twenty-one points – that’s a lot of points. Thirty points? That isn’t even a football game. That’s Arena Football. We’re talking about real football.”

Or how about Herm when media challenges him on his team's failures, which is to explain to KC fans that they're spoiled by all of the awesome success of the franchise

“People aren’t used to this in Kansas City. Get over it! It happens. It’s called life. You can’t think you’re too big that it’s not going to happen to you. It happens to everybody."

Man, I'll never get tired of unloading on that clown.  I needed that.  KC is stinking, but there's just nobody on the team I hate as I hated Herm Edwards.  

Thanks man.  This is why I didn't reply.  I knew you'd articulate all my frustrations better than I could or would anyway.

Vermeil did not leave this team in ruins.  That particular bullshit story blows my mind.  That team carried Herm to the playoffs even after Trent Green's tragic murder.

Fuck Herm Edwards man.  Fuck him.

"Trent Green's tragic murder"   Big Grin

DV (and Carl, because Carl was ALWAYS the final say on draft day, even with Herm) didn't do a good job drafting young talent, but he did leave Herm Derrick Johnson and Jared Allen.  Two future all pro defenders.

If they were in ruins, there would have been no gravy train in 2006.  Which, as I recall, KC only made the playoffs because Denver hilariously shit the bed.
(12-02-2017, 12:33 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 09:56 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 08:28 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 10:50 PM)Mr.Smartass2U Wrote: Hello guys.  It's been awhile, good seeing you all again. I'm hearing Arizona State is interested in hiring him, that's the reason I ask I'm personally a UCLA fan.  That aside, from what I remember, Vermeil left the team in ruins, defense was horrible besides Jared Allen, and the offense was built on aging talent like Trent Green/Eddie Kennison/Tony Gonzalez/Willie Roaf/Will Shields/Larry Johnson that quickly started declining or outright retired right when Herm got in.  My question is:

1.  What did you think of him as a coach?

2.  How well was he finding young talent for the rebuild?  

3.  Was he a victim of circumstance?

1.  I think he was among the worst coaches Kc has had, and I routinely called him a fraud. 

2.  Terribly.  He hit on a few first rounders and in about 3 years managed to bring in about 4-6 good players of varying quality.  He did have the luxury of having a ton of draft picks in a very deep 2008 draft due to trading Jared Allen, and he managed to nab a few good players (Charles, Flowers, Carr).  The team continually declined under his 'leadership' and never showed any signs of turning it around after he moved on from DV's leftovers.  He refused to really take advantage of free agency.  Had a 4-12 and 2-14 team that had first pick over waiver wire players (a great way to turn a team around is fill holes with these players).  No attempt was really made to find a QB.  They spent 1 3rd rounder and pulled a guy off of Waivers (Thigpen) and that's it.  Made no attempt to find a QB after Green.  

DV didn't leave the team in ruins, but he knew their window was going to slam shut quickly.   Herm knew that too.  Herm rode that talent to the playoffs.  He won 6 games with his guys and the team had no identity whatsoever.  He had no vision for what he was building.  Fans knew what was coming, but fans also expect progress.  

3.  I've seen plenty of coaches take competitive  aging teams and make a transition by keeping select veterans, acquiring new talent, ensuring the most important positions are filled.  Herm just blew it up all at once and tried the 'let's basically become an expansion team' method of rebuilding that works exactly never.

But I don't have to say it.  I'll let Herm's own words define his offensive philosophy.  

"When we score seven points, I’ll say we’re slow starting. If we score 21 points, I’ll say, ‘Whoa, we scored a lot of points.’ Twenty-one points – that’s a lot of points. Thirty points? That isn’t even a football game. That’s Arena Football. We’re talking about real football.”

Or how about Herm when media challenges him on his team's failures, which is to explain to KC fans that they're spoiled by all of the awesome success of the franchise

“People aren’t used to this in Kansas City. Get over it! It happens. It’s called life. You can’t think you’re too big that it’s not going to happen to you. It happens to everybody."

Man, I'll never get tired of unloading on that clown.  I needed that.  KC is stinking, but there's just nobody on the team I hate as I hated Herm Edwards.  

Thanks man.  This is why I didn't reply.  I knew you'd articulate all my frustrations better than I could or would anyway.

Vermeil did not leave this team in ruins.  That particular bullshit story blows my mind.  That team carried Herm to the playoffs even after Trent Green's tragic murder.

Fuck Herm Edwards man.  Fuck him.

"Trent Green's tragic murder"   Big Grin

DV (and Carl, because Carl was ALWAYS the final say on draft day, even with Herm) didn't do a good job drafting young talent, but he did leave Herm Derrick Johnson and Jared Allen.  Two future all pro defenders.

If they were in ruins, there would have been no gravy train in 2006.  Which, as I recall, KC only made the playoffs because Denver hilariously shit the bed.

He left them Dustin Colquitt, too.

Yeah, the 2006 playoff appearance was such a fluke that Peterson put somebody on IR earlier that day instead of saving him for the playoffs, but for the life of me, I can't remember who it was and I can't find it on google.
He’s believable when he talks, even if most of its bullshit.  That’s probably his greatest asset.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/kansas-cit...=1&type=39

Quote:Dunn, Jason TE
Placed on IR - back
12/31

Turley, Kyle T
Placed on IR - shoulder
12/31

Scanlon, Rich LB
Placed on IR - neck
12/31
[Image: fmksup.gif]
sig by yours truly

why?
[Image: HG.gif]
Carl did that so the Chiefs had some roster spots open for the last week, guessing they weren't making the playoffs.
Herm made a complete idiot of himself already at the presser.  

That didn't take long.
Did the fool really not realize the team was called the sun devils??
[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates
https://www.facebook.com/nathan.ryan.pierson
(12-04-2017, 08:07 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: Did the fool really not realize the team was called the sun devils??

Would you really be surprised if the answer was 'no'?

Seems he puts as much effort into researching his employers as he does for his game plans. Rolleyes
I thought he was trying to make a poorly delivered joke there. Still, the whole presser was weird, right from the introduction. Doubt this will be the last time we hear about Herm.