Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Week 12 vs. Bills
(11-27-2017, 06:25 PM)Razorchief Wrote: Would someone please explain to me how 60 yards rushing is Smith's fault. I know he gets blamed for everything. The guy sitting in front of me and HG yesterday kept screaming "throw downfield". Yet, when Hunt was stopped for no gain I never heard him yell "run downfield".

It's not 1960 man.  Nobody runs to set up the pass.  The pass sets up the run in the modern NFL.  

Teams play zone with most of their men near the LOS.  Teams are cheating against the run because Alex doesn't throw the ball after play fakes, so they have no reason to honor the potential big play against play action.  

At one point KC called a 4 verts play against a cover 2  Kelce was open.  Hill was open.  Smith checked down.  

That's a huge problem and yes the failure of the running game is tied to the failure of the passing game.  KC has far more open WR's than running lanes.
(11-27-2017, 06:32 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 06:25 PM)Razorchief Wrote: Would someone please explain to me how 60 yards rushing is Smith's fault. I know he gets blamed for everything. The guy sitting in front of me and HG yesterday kept screaming "throw downfield". Yet, when Hunt was stopped for no gain I never heard him yell "run downfield".

It's not 1960 man.  Nobody runs to set up the pass.  The pass sets up the run in the modern NFL.  

Teams play zone with most of their men near the LOS.  Teams are cheating against the run because Alex doesn't throw the ball after play fakes, so they have no reason to honor the potential big play against play action.  

At one point KC called a 4 verts play against a cover 2  Kelce was open.  Hill was open.  Smith checked down.  

That's a huge problem and yes the failure of the running game is tied to the failure of the passing game.  KC has far more open WR's than running lanes.

Well said.
[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates
https://www.facebook.com/nathan.ryan.pierson
Oh bother.  Well, the Steelers decided to try something new and unique on the great QB Alex Smith when they came to town, they thought that if they concentrated on stopping Hunt, that Alex would have to try to win the game on his own.  They put 8 in the box, and stuffed every run.  What they found out was that Alex would falter if the game was solely on his shoulders.  Other teams, from good teams to terrible teams followed suit with great success.

That is why I blame Alex more than Hunt for the offensive problems.  Granted, our offensive line shows no toughness or ability to make holes, but I’d say it’s  going to be tough against defenses geared to smashing our running game.
(11-28-2017, 01:23 AM)warthog Wrote: Oh bother.  Well, the Steelers decided to try something new and unique on the great QB Alex Smith when they came to town, they thought that if they concentrated on stopping Hunt, that Alex would have to try to win the game on his own.  They put 8 in the box, and stuffed every run.  What they found out was that Alex would falter if the game was solely on his shoulders.  Other teams, from good teams to terrible teams followed suit with great success.

That is why I blame Alex more than Hunt for the offensive problems.  Granted, our offensive line shows no toughness or ability to make holes, but I’d say it’s  going to be tough against defenses geared to smashing our running game.

I'm not seeing the running lanes.  It's not like when LJ was out there putting up 2.7 YPC and I was freaking out because he'd run into the center and repeatedly miss large running lanes.  

It's not just that teams are stacking the box.  On one play last week the Bill had 9 guys in the box near the endzone.  This is a situation where a QB kills the play to a pass because the D was all over the running call.

Alex went with the call, and KC lost 5 yards on a running play that was obviously sniffed out pre-snap.  

I don't think it should surprise anyone that fans are holding a 13 year veteran QB more accountable than a rookie running back.

I blame play calling.  Outside runs seemed like they were working better, yet we continued to try and run up the middle.
[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!