Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Week 11 @ Giants, Normal As Hell Game
(11-20-2017, 12:33 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(11-20-2017, 11:15 AM)mabbott Wrote: NOLA you missed watching Andy Reid out think himself. This game was focused on horrible play calling and Alex Smith not being able to put the ball on target. F'ing holding penalties killed good drives and ridiculous turnovers.

I hope we never call that stupid shovel pass play again. Because it worked a couple times, everyone is calling it and defenses are ready. This game made me so mad. I can't defend any of it today.

Feels like that happens at least 2-3 games a season.
It honestly was beyond frustrating. It is really simple, run the ball and use slant passes.  Nope, bubble screens, trick plays, and stupid penalties.
[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!
And yet.  They cant run the ball on first down.  I cant figure why Gaines was in and not Mitchel
[Image: HG.gif]
(11-19-2017, 09:54 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 07:37 PM)ChiefsRule Wrote: So....PMII anyone?

Doesn't solve our problems. They run much deeper than a qb. I said this before the season started, we didn't make ourselves better for this year during the offseason. We don't have enough talent on defense especially. But our offense is also total reliant on someone breaking a big play otherwise we bog down, and it's been that way all year.

No, its not a fix but it would be at least interesting and better than mildly paying attention to the last 6-7 games of the ASS11 era. Besides 7-8 players this team needs an overhaul and Gaines needs to never suit up, ever again. How do you fall down, commit PI and the guy you're "defending" still makes the catch? Its comical how bad he is. It's Willie Bartee all over again.
[Image: Rick%26MortyS02_Header_REF.png]
(11-20-2017, 02:23 PM)HG Wrote: And yet.  They cant run the ball on first down.  I cant figure why Gaines was in and not Mitchel

They've mostly used Gaines on the inside this season. Reid said they wanted to give him a look on the outside where Gaines would get the added benefit of having the sideline as an extra defender.

But yeah, I agree with most of what's been said here. Reid has failed to adapt to how people have gameplanned to him. He seems to think it's enough to add new wrinkles here and there, but really we need to change concepts to attack what defenses are leaving open to us. Also, the offensive line isn't getting any push.
We knew since the Steeler game that other teams were on to the trick plays and were keying on Hunt, making a terrible QB like Smith beat them.  So we had an entire bye week to change it up, but what do we do?  Nothing, we came out with the same tired shit.  The screens, the shovels, and the trick plays aren’t working anymore.

And if you think that Alex Smith is a Super Bowl caliber QB, I have a bridge to sell you.  And that is the ultimate goal, right?  Win the Super Bowl.  Yeah Smiths stats look good, but those stats were built on the first 5 games, look at his last 5.  Two words, shit sandwich.  He does lead the league in throwing the ball away though.  

We will win the division and lose in the first round.  And I’m not too excited about that.
Here's how you stop the chiefs.  Pittsburgh showed the world.  Dallas piled on, and now it's obvious even trash defenses can shut down the gimmicky college stuff.  

Do these things:

1.  Don't try to make too many plays behind the Line of scrimmage against the run.  Hold your gaps, hold contain, and don't let KC run the ball or use those gimmicky screens on you.  

2.  Run cover 2 zone frequently, which requires a QB to make deeper throws to break it.  

3.  Force the chiefs to do what they go out of their way to avoid:  Force them to call drop back passing plays.

Even when KC was playing well, Kc would only call 10 or 15 drop back passing plays.  The staff clearly does not trust the QB to be an actual QB.  Instead we're running this college shit, and like most of that gimmicky stuff, the shelf life was short.

Bottom line is teams have a template to beat them, and the Giants just showed that ANYONE can do it.  

Peterson asks Wentz, a second year player, to do more drop-back-and-read-a-defense plays than KC asks of their 13 year veteran.  

The offense is dead in the water with Smith right now.  Regression to the mean.  Alex has simply returned to being the guy he's been for the past 4 years.  Until KC can run a big boy passing offense, this season is dead.

This team isn't winning anything this year.  Start the rookie.
(11-20-2017, 11:55 PM)warthog Wrote: We knew since the Steeler game that other teams were on to the trick plays and were keying on Hunt, making a terrible QB like Smith beat them.  So we had an entire bye week to change it up, but what do we do?  Nothing, we came out with the same tired shit.  The screens, the shovels, and the trick plays aren’t working anymore.

And if you think that Alex Smith is a Super Bowl caliber QB, I have a bridge to sell you.  And that is the ultimate goal, right?  Win the Super Bowl.  Yeah Smiths stats look good, but those stats were built on the first 5 games, look at his last 5.  Two words, shit sandwich.  He does lead the league in throwing the ball away though.  

We will win the division and lose in the first round.  And I’m not too excited about that.

Look at his stats against Dallas.

Then remember how he was actually atrocious during that game, and that stats are over-rated when your entire offense is designed to avoid asking your QB to play QB.

I don't think you need a 13 year vet to run an offense that calls 30 designed single read passes per game.  I'm not sure you need a quarterback at all to do that.

The camel's back is broken.  I don't care what his stats are, as he's regressing back to the mean.  The 5 year sample tells me all I need to know.
(11-21-2017, 03:16 PM)KIJThe_Jonas Wrote: Here's how you stop the chiefs.  Pittsburgh showed the world.  Dallas piled on, and now it's obvious even trash defenses can shut down the gimmicky college stuff.  

Do these things:

1.  Don't try to make too many plays behind the Line of scrimmage against the run.  Hold your gaps, hold contain, and don't let KC run the ball or use those gimmicky screens on you.  

2.  Run cover 2 zone frequently, which requires a QB to make deeper throws to break it.  

3.  Force the chiefs to do what they go out of their way to avoid:  Force them to call drop back passing plays.

Even when KC was playing well, Kc would only call 10 or 15 drop back passing plays.  The staff clearly does not trust the QB to be an actual QB.  Instead we're running this college shit, and like most of that gimmicky stuff, the shelf life was short.

Bottom line is teams have a template to beat them, and the Giants just showed that ANYONE can do it.  

Peterson asks Wentz, a second year player, to do more drop-back-and-read-a-defense plays than KC asks of their 13 year veteran.  

The offense is dead in the water with Smith right now.  Regression to the mean.  Alex has simply returned to being the guy he's been for the past 4 years.  Until KC can run a big boy passing offense, this season is dead.

I agree.  The worst part of it is that we had 2 weeks to change things up and we did nothing.  The staff had to know that the script was out there to beat us, yet we stayed pat.  Alex Smith might win us a division, but will lose in the first round.  Ive seen that play before.  Throw in the rookie for the rest of the season, and let him take his lumps.
(11-22-2017, 12:22 AM)warthog Wrote:
(11-21-2017, 03:16 PM)KIJThe_Jonas Wrote: Here's how you stop the chiefs.  Pittsburgh showed the world.  Dallas piled on, and now it's obvious even trash defenses can shut down the gimmicky college stuff.  

Do these things:

I agree.  The worst part of it is that we had 2 weeks to change things up and we did nothing.  The staff had to know that the script was out there to beat us, yet we stayed pat.  Alex Smith might win us a division, but will lose in the first round.  Ive seen that play before.  Throw in the rookie for the rest of the season, and let him take his lumps.

Counterpoint: don't throw the rookie in at the end of his rookie season to bear the unreasonable expectations that will come with taking over a team in 1st place and still in the playoff hunt, let him have an entire season to redshirt plus another offseason to prepare, and then come in next year.  I've seen enough 1st rounders ruined by unreasonable expectations too early in their careers, and PHII is not saving this season anyway, nor should he be expected to.  I don't see the benefit in potentially undermining his potential to rub Alex's nose in his own mediocrity.  I have to imagine that dude know he's gone after January anyway.
Yo, AKB, you taking care of this week's game thread?