Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question
Saw this posted on another site, and didn't know how to reply. When we say "home of the Chiefs" at the end of the anthem, is that considered disrespecting the flag? I have never been very political, but know many on here are, and have seen where HG says he says "brave". IIRC he may be a vet, so I wonder how he feels about the "Chiefs" at the end. What are others thought on this? I always say Chiefs when attendeing the games, and didn't really give it a second thought.
I know it's been a topic of controversy since it began.  Good arguments on all sides.

My personal opinion is that Americans shouldn't be forced - either by law, or by social pressure - into blind obedience and worship of our symbols and leadership, including our anthem and our flag.

Altering the anthem from "Brave" to "Chiefs" is, to me, a very American thing to do.

It's tapping into our heritage of rebellion, of being scofflaws and nonconformists, of thumbing our nose at authority and power.  Perhaps I take the "rebel" side of our political history a little more seriously than others might, but to me, this is one of those things that makes us different than other nations who treat symbols of their nation like they're documented holy relics.  It feels like an egalitarian thing to do.

We can do what we want with our anthem, because it belongs to US, not some higher power greater than we are.

I say this as a person who is deeply in love with American history (the Revolution period was one of my specialties in my History minor) and incredibly proud of so much that we as a nation have been able to do.  The ideals that this nation was founded upon are relevant and inspirational to me on a near-daily basis. I say this as a person who gets choked up when I watch our athletes stand under the flag and our anthem is played at the Olympics.  I say this as a person whose family - both sides - served continually in our military up to this generation.

I love my country, but its symbols and patriotic rituals are not sacrosanct. That's one thing that makes us great, IMO.

This doesn't mean that I think those who disagree with me are bad people or that they can't do what they wish.

My two cents.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
My Pop has a Purple Heart from Korea. He stands, takes off his hat, sort of sings (he has a hard time when the anthem singer messes with the melody--which is another subject entirely) and LOVES the "Chiefs" at the end.  He doesn't feel the word change is disrespectful. But he does appreciate people standing, being quiet and at least showing some respect during the song.
Okay.  Here is the way I feel about it.  I signed up to protect and defend the “Constitution of the United States “.  Which includes both Freedom of speech, and the right to protest.  Home of the Chiefs?  No problem with it.  That fits with Freedom of Speech.  The flag represents the Constitution and all of us.  Use the freedom as you see fit as long as you don’t disrespect it.  Which includes, burning, destroying, removing it. 
As far as the protests go, I agree with the cause of the problem and I feel something should be done to address it.  Address the problem.  While the flag represents all of us.  It’s a piece of cloth.  You will not accomplish anything by what you’re doing.  Protest the problem like those those in Minnesota did with their town government.  That was awesome.   
While Im at it, tearing down and hiding the history is imbecilic.  Tearing down a statue of Robert E Lee is outrageous .  The man was npt a Slave owner.  He was a General in the Army of the United States.  He was offered the command of the  Amry before Grant was.  Be he declined because he felt it would be wrong to go to war against his home state.   (But you never hear about that).
What is happening  with the protests , the tearing down of history, and groups denying the right of freedom of speech.  Its all connected.  Kapernick started a protest while he was a black kid raised by rich white parents.  This is a Millennial way of thinking.  Step back and look its all connected. 
Im worried that by the time my Grandkids are grown History will be denied them.  It will be hidden and the truth not known.  Just like Japan when Pearl Harbor came out.  Citizens were abit outraged.  They thought it was fake.  Japans schools left that out of their history classes, the younger generation didn’t know.  I think we are heading down the same path.

Its all connected.  They don’t teach history in schools anymore.  It’s a shame.  SO ya.  Its all connected.

Rant over.  Sorry
[Image: HG.gif]
Thanks for the replies. I didn't feel in anyway that it was disrepectful, and like HG, feel there is a better way for these 'protests' to be attacked.
The original purpose is lost. As if more awareness could be raised anyway. Sort of like raising more awareness for breast cancer or child abuse. As if everyone weren't already aware. Now the focus is on who and how instead of for what and, to me, it has now become a media game, a public relations event, a spectacle instead of achieving something. My take on it.
(09-29-2017, 12:04 PM)HG Wrote:   They don’t teach history in schools anymore.  It’s a shame.  SO ya.  Its all connected.

Rant over.  Sorry

Where did you get this idea?
To continue--now it is just a protest against Trump. Original purpose lost. Sad.
(10-01-2017, 11:11 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 12:04 PM)HG Wrote:   They don’t teach history in schools anymore.  It’s a shame.  SO ya.  Its all connected.

Rant over.  Sorry

Well number 1:  I have two grown kids that are now adults and I know instead of History is "Social Studies"   Tell me they really know about the Monitor and the Merrimack.  Hell I have seen several "Graduates"  That cant tell time if its not digital.  

2:  Ask them who was the 16th President, hell ask them who was the 2nd.  But the time these Millennials get into power I will be glad Im dead.
[Image: HG.gif]
(10-01-2017, 01:22 PM)HG Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 11:11 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:

Rant over.  Sorry

Well number 1:  I have two grown kids that are now adults and I know instead of History is "Social Studies"   Tell me they really know about the Monitor and the Merrimack.  Hell I have seen several "Graduates"  That cant tell time if its not digital.  

2:  Ask them who was the 16th President, hell ask them who was the 2nd.  But the time these Millennials get into power I will be glad Im dead.

So you are saying you know what they teach in school now because your two grown adult children didn't learn stuff?
 Telling time has nothing to do with history. 

Ask people your age who certain presidents were, ask them random history questions, better yet watch the late night hosts do those type of things. Most people don't know history, doesn't mean it's not being taught. 

It's called social studies now because it's a broader term and covers the other topics besides history that need to be covered like government. There are still dedicated history classes.