Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What The????? Fan survey
Some alleged institution of higher learning did this alleged study and got some alleged results. 

Chiefs fans are last?!?!

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2016...thodology/
It isn't actually a measure of how "good" the fanbase is. It's more of a guestimate of the value of the brand based on things like how many twitter followers they have and other things that clearly translate into wins and losses.

Even so, I have a hard time believing the Chiefs have a lesser brand than teams like the Jags and Titans. Also, if they had some way of measuring the pulse of the town, how excited locals actually are about their team, I think it'd shoot KC up the rankings.
Looks like the penalized the Chiefs fans because "the fan support doesn’t match the team’s performance."

So if the team were still in the basement we'd be better fans?
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
We're not last.  We're 30th.  The jags and Raiders ranked behind us.  

Profitability is a big factor.  Lower income markets (like KC) aren't going to beat out east coast teams where people are paid more and everything costs more.  Then you have the total population of the areas. 

Some comparative analysis of stadium attendance with team success (good teams with bad attendance are penalized, and the opposite awarded)

I think gauging anything using twitter is retarded.  The VAST majority of people are not on twitter, and don't care about ever being on Twitter.  Like me.  All I know it for is the birth of speculative journalism and an access point for celebrity obsessed weirdo trolls.

Quote:At the bottom we have the Bills, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders and Jaguars.  This is a similar list to last year.  The Jags, for example, only filled 91% of capacity (ranked 27th) despite an average ticket price of just $57.  The Chiefs struggle because the fan support doesn’t match the team’s performance.  The Chiefs capacity utilization rate ranks 17thin the league despite a winning record and low ticket prices.  The Raiders fans again finish low in our rankings.  And every year the response is a great deal of anger and often threats.

It's true.  Arrowhead never looks as full as it used to.  
(06-22-2017, 10:46 AM)NOLA Wrote: Looks like the penalized the Chiefs fans because "the fan support doesn’t match the team’s performance."

So if the team were still in the basement we'd be better fans?

It sounds like the tickets are being sold, but not being used.

That's what I assume capacity utilization is, because it doesn't mention a lack of sell outs.

Ultimately, I wouldn't trust a metric when you don't ACTUALLY know the parameters.  They explained their methodology decently, but meh.  I don't know exactly how they pulled these numbers.
FUck em
[Image: HG.gif]
(06-22-2017, 11:51 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: We're not last.  We're 30th.  The jags and Raiders ranked behind us.  

Profitability is a big factor.  Lower income markets (like KC) aren't going to beat out east coast teams where people are paid more and everything costs more.  Then you have the total population of the areas. 

Some comparative analysis of stadium attendance with team success (good teams with bad attendance are penalized, and the opposite awarded)

I think gauging anything using twitter is retarded.  The VAST majority of people are not on twitter, and don't care about ever being on Twitter.  Like me.  All I know it for is the birth of speculative journalism and an access point for celebrity obsessed weirdo trolls.

Quote:At the bottom we have the Bills, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders and Jaguars.  This is a similar list to last year.  The Jags, for example, only filled 91% of capacity (ranked 27th) despite an average ticket price of just $57.  The Chiefs struggle because the fan support doesn’t match the team’s performance.  The Chiefs capacity utilization rate ranks 17thin the league despite a winning record and low ticket prices.  The Raiders fans again finish low in our rankings.  And every year the response is a great deal of anger and often threats.

It's true.  Arrowhead never looks as full as it used to.  

The article says the factors are adjusted to account for fan base size.

Quote:These models are used to determine which cities fans are more willing to spend or follow their teams after controlling for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance. (emphasis theirs)
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.