Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Maclin released
Chiefs released Jeremy Maclin today.

Woah.
[Image: chiefs_jamaal_charles_sig_by_twisted_rea...34kkke.png]
We posted this at the same time. This move was a surprise to me.  Hopefully it will make sense.....
[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!
It was a surprise to me as it was most people, but money...

Chiefs save $10M against the cap for a player they haven't got much out of with only $2.4M in dead money. This shouldn't have surprised us.

Now the question is if this opens the Chiefs up to another move. A trade? Anquan Boldin? I know this just happened because it's after June 1st, but I can't help but get the feeling this isn't the last move.
Can't say I'm totally surprised because I didn't see much separation and the increase of drops this past season, combined with his injury history.

Would you want to pay a receiver $13.5 million for 530 yards? On top of that, he's about to be turning 29?

This is the right business move. Someone else will have to step up anyways. Might as well figure that out sooner than later before Mahomes takes the starting QB position (hopefully) in 2018.
(06-02-2017, 07:11 PM)Coach Wrote: Can't say I'm totally surprised because I didn't see much separation and the increase of drops this past season, combined with his injury history.

Would you want to pay a receiver $13.5 million for 530 yards? On top of that, he's about to be turning 29?

This is the right business move. Someone else will have to step up anyways. Might as well figure that out sooner than later before Mahomes takes the starting QB position (hopefully) in 2018.

It's definitely the right business move. Even if he comes back somewhere else healthy, it's hard to believe he's going to have production worthy of a $12M contract.

I still am going to miss the guy because when healthy he was an important piece of our offense.

But you're right, they want a good look at Hill, Conley, Robinson, DAT, Chesson, and Wilson. Figure out who's sticking long term.
(06-02-2017, 06:49 PM)mabbott Wrote: We posted this at the same time. This move was a surprise to me.  Hopefully it will make sense.....

You put a lot more effort into your post is the only reason mine posted sooner.

So he was scheduled to be paid ober 12 mil andhave 7 mil in dead cap space if cut but because he was cut after June 1 he only counts like 3 mil against the cap? He'll produce decently somewhere this year.

I am really starting to be concerned for this year. I honestly think we are looking more and more likely to take a pretty large step back. I'm predicting we miss the playoffs at this point. I'm lowering my expectations for this season.

Edit: Crazy thing is I was wearing my Maclin shirt today that my parents in law got me for christmas. Now I have a charles jersey and a maclin shirt that I'll be hesitant to wear.
[Image: chiefs_jamaal_charles_sig_by_twisted_rea...34kkke.png]
(06-02-2017, 06:56 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: It was a surprise to me as it was most people, but money...

Chiefs save $10M against the cap for a player they haven't got much out of with only $2.4M in dead money. This shouldn't have surprised us.

Now the question is if this opens the Chiefs up to another move. A trade? Anquan Boldin? I know this just happened because it's after June 1st, but I can't help but get the feeling this isn't the last move.

I have been saying this for over a year, dammit.

[Image: i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif]
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
(06-03-2017, 09:32 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(06-02-2017, 06:56 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: It was a surprise to me as it was most people, but money...

I thought about reviving that rambling 3 person argument about the receivers you, Jonas, and I had, but I didn't know where to start or end on that.

I think he's a good WR, but he's injured too often and we overpaid to get him here in the first place. I still remember how dreadful the receivers were before he got here though, so I kind of figured we'd keep him just because of how bad we used to have it.
Nothing I said changes.  

KC's not going to go out and chase a WR or pay one big money.  

First, they must assume Maclin's poor play last year wasn't' the result of an ankle injury, but part of an overall decline in play.  They would know better than I would.

Second, this team is not investing money in WR with Alex Smith at the helm hopefully.  Doing so again would be making the same mistake twice.  Three if you count Bowe. but I do not.

Third, the financials obviously played a big role.  It's big savings.

Fourth, rumor is that Conley and Robinson have improved significantly enough (or maclin has declined enough) that Maclin was probably going to not be a starting WR.  

KC over invested in Maclin.  No WR is going to earn that kind of money catching passes from captain checkdown.  I'd rather not see KC give 10+ million a year to ANY WR since they're as unlikely to match Maclin's 2015 season as Maclin is.
(06-03-2017, 09:32 AM)NOLA Wrote:

You were saying this after an 1,100 yard 8 TD season with an infamously timid QB?  It was by far the best season any WR ever had with Smith at the helm.

Because over a year ago Maclin was coming off of a good season.

What did Maclin fail to do in 2015 that you had expected?!  I can't figure it out.  I didn't expect him to break 1000 yards with Alex.  Ever.