Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AKB's Cooking / Science Experiment
(05-19-2017, 07:30 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 07:55 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I wish we had more time to COOK-cook.

Anybody wanna come be my chef?  Smile

Hmmmm... what would it pay?

Seriously, because you can learn to cook damn near anything from youtube in the current year.  I mean it's the current year!

Dunno how I missed this before...

It's not about learning how.  It's about having TIME.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(06-12-2017, 07:35 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 07:55 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I wish we had more time to COOK-cook.

Seriously, because you can learn to cook damn near anything from youtube in the current year.  I mean it's the current year!

I think he was saying he could learn to cook what you wanted.
(06-12-2017, 07:35 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:

Yes yes, I fully understand you're busy.  

I am too, but that's why I asked how much it paid.  :p
Haven't shown you guys the process of making sous vide lemon rosemary chicken, so here it is. This is probably healthy enough to eat in my diet, and if not, fuck it. It's worth it.

Start by soaking the chicken in water with some salt and sugar in it. Do this for about 45 minutes to an hour. This is a little over 4 lbs of chicken.
[Image: 20170614_112035_zpsylmynzxn.jpg]

While that's soaking, mix garlic and kosher salt. The original recipe called for dicing garlic cloves, but I like to use minced garlic and more than the recipe calls for because I LOVE garlic.[Image: 20170614_113031_zpsxwpoybyc.jpg]

Thin slice a lemon. If I'm scaling this recipe up for more servings, rather than adding more lemon I just add some lemon juice.
[Image: 20170614_113206_zpsd5df0tue.jpg]

Warm up the immersion cooker to 146.5. It takes a while, like 20 minutes to warm up. You can save a little time by starting with hot water.
[Image: 20170614_114345_zpslqz0rc5q.jpg]

Rinse and pat dry the chicken with paper towels.
[Image: 20170614_162136_zpszx9dqilj.jpg]

Apply the garlic/kosher salt to the chicken.
[Image: 20170614_162405_zps79hapsfj.jpg]

Put the chicken and lemons in a bag. Add olive oil and rosemary. I recently saw a cooking show that had a similar recipe but totally fucked the thing up with rosemary, thyme, and parsley and it looked awesome. Will definitely try something similar sometime soon.
[Image: 20170614_163036_zpssxfa6sx8.jpg]

Then you put the bag in the pot and clip it to the side for an hour and a half. It's actually kind of neat. Sous vide requires being vacuum sealed, but rather than use an actual vacuum sealer you can just use a standard zip loc bag, dip it in the water, and water displacement will cause the air to vacate the bag, then you zip it closed. The only video I could find of it was vertically filmed, and I wouldn't wish that shit upon an enemy.

Threw some pork chops on too because I had some unexpected guests (nieces).
[Image: 20170614_180938_zpszf056zxq.jpg]

I forgot to take an actual after picture, but I accidentally burned the lemon slices, so even though this was a really good batch it didn't plate as well as my original photo (first photo in this thread). Also, sorry Razor, propane is easier for day to day cooking. Consider me Hank Hill on this issue.

My next plan is to sous vide steaks.
I see Photobucket wants me to pay for them to host images now. Sigh. Anyway, to celebrate 'postrophe 'Merica, I thought today would be a great day to do steaks and grilled corn.

I have not cooked many steaks in my life. I was always at least a little intimidated by it, worried I was going to ruin a $10+ chunk of meat, so the vast majority of the time if I wanted steak I'd go to a restaurant so I could pay even more for some crater faced teen to mess it up for me. JK, usually the crater faced teen does better than I would have.

Steaks are supposed to be one of the absolute best things to do sous vide style, because of the way it takes out a lot of the guess work, improves consistency, minimizes loss of moisture, and creates a larger pink area in rare and medium rare steaks. I found a couple very interesting online guides about cooking steaks.

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Steak
The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Grilled Steak

These are both very informative. The first obviously deals more specifically with what I'm doing, sous vide / immersion cooking steaks. The second is more about grilling steaks in general. Both taught me some of the things I've heard about cooking steaks as myths. For example it's actually better to flip meat multiple times instead of just once since it will cook more evenly, though it won't have as pretty of grill marks. The more you know.

Now, unfortunately you can't get 1-1/2" cuts of meat in this town without actually talking to a butcher and I was openly prepared for minimal human interaction today, so I went with the 1" thick cuts that were readily available. I also decided to go with t-bones because I wanted something that was bone-in.

I ended up overcooking the steaks, about medium to medium well instead of medium rare like I wanted. Still pretty good.
Don't mind if I add my 2 cents to this....

2 lbs. ground beef....
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 medium jalapeno peppers, minced.
2 gloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp. steak seasoning

Just mix them all in a bowl and you can also add some extra toppings into this, such as chopped slices of cooked bacon, diced/chopped tomatoes, or just have it as a regular bacon strip cheeseburger. Also you can add or remove the ingredients for this to your liking. I don't buy the processed foods, as it's much better to get the veggies and cut them up. Quite a chore, I know, but it's very much worth it at the end, as it gives out much better flavor.

However, I strongly recommend that after you pack the burger, and it is ready to cook, to let both sides of the hamburger set for a while on a aluminum foil on your grill. Because of the moisture from the sauce, it causes the burger to fall apart into your grill. Once you are able to determine that it will hold it together, then you can place it off the foil and onto the grill.
(07-09-2017, 04:21 PM)Coach Wrote: Don't mind if I add my 2 cents to this....

2 lbs. ground beef....
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 medium jalapeno peppers, minced.
2 gloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp. steak seasoning

Just mix them all in a bowl and you can also add some extra toppings into this, such as chopped slices of cooked bacon, diced/chopped tomatoes, or just have it as a regular bacon strip cheeseburger. Also you can add or remove the ingredients for this to your liking. I don't buy the processed foods, as it's much better to get the veggies and cut them up. Quite a chore, I know, but it's very much worth it at the end, as it gives out much better flavor.

However, I strongly recommend that after you pack the burger, and it is ready to cook, to let both sides of the hamburger set for a while on a aluminum foil on your grill. Because of the moisture from the sauce, it causes the burger to fall apart into your grill. Once you are able to determine that it will hold it together, then you can place it off the foil and onto the grill.

I love adding fresh veggies and spices to burgers, especially cilantro. I need to do it more often. Would definitely like to try this sometime.