Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2017 Draft

(04-27-2017, 10:47 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(04-27-2017, 08:22 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  Whelp, the draft's tonight.

If the Chiefs don't take a QB in the first few rounds, how do you feel about that?

I think it's like the Jeff Eric Fisher draft class wherein there's not really a QB worth taking early, which sort of blows, but I'd rather not reach for the sake of reaching, similar to what akb said.

IMO, we need a new RB - Ware ain't gonna get it done and West (well, let's see how he is now that he's over his Skittles addiction), we need another LB (because bless his heart, Derrick Johnson), we need probably a CB/SS, and we totally need moar WR's for Alex to not throw to.

[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]

(04-27-2017, 10:59 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  

If the Chiefs don't take a QB in the first few rounds, how do you feel about that?

I think it's like the Jeff Eric Fisher draft class wherein there's not really a QB worth taking early, which sort of blows, but I'd rather not reach for the sake of reaching, similar to what akb said.

IMO, we need a new RB - Ware ain't gonna get it done and West (well, let's see how he is now that he's over his Skittles addiction), we need another LB (because bless his heart, Derrick Johnson), we need probably a CB/SS, and we totally need moar WR's for Alex to not throw to.

I agree with most of this except the end.  It's not a case of WR quantity, but rather quality.  There is absolutely room to upgrade pretty much everyone, and WR is one of the few areas where a young guy can make an immediate impact.  I'm cool drafting a WR pretty much anywhere, but especially after the first round.

(04-27-2017, 11:43 AM)NOLA Wrote:  

I agree with most of this except the end.  It's not a case of WR quantity, but rather quality.  There is absolutely room to upgrade pretty much everyone, and WR is one of the few areas where a young guy can make an immediate impact.  I'm cool drafting a WR pretty much anywhere, but especially after the first round.

I should have been clearer.

WR is a need, IMO.

(04-27-2017, 11:48 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  

WR is a need, IMO.

Oh, cool.  I thought you were being sarcastic.  I shit on the WR corps a while ago, and I couldn't remember who was pro and who agreed with me that they are largely not good.

(04-27-2017, 12:08 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(04-27-2017, 11:48 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  
(04-27-2017, 10:47 AM)NOLA Wrote:  I think it's like the Jeff Eric Fisher draft class wherein there's not really a QB worth taking early, which sort of blows, but I'd rather not reach for the sake of reaching, similar to what akb said.

WR is a need, IMO.

Oh, cool.  I thought you were being sarcastic.  I shit on the WR corps a while ago, and I couldn't remember who was pro and who agreed with me that they are largely not good.

I think there's a reason Alex doesn't throw to WR's, and it ain't because Alex has a phobia about it.

I think it was Jonas and I that defended the wideouts. I really do believe a Tom Brady or Drew Brees would light up the sky with these receivers, especially if you're including Kelce in the mix. Maclin, Hill, Kelce, Conley... really, Conley is the only one that isn't more or less proven of that group, and he's literally one of the most talented (talking pure athleticism and speed) WRs in the league.

I think that's a lot of talent for a QB to throw to. The fact that Smith hasn't done more with those weapons is disappointing to say the least. That's not to say the position couldn't be improved, and we do have to look to the future. I wouldn't be against getting a receiver, I just think it's more of a want than a need.

Just thought I'd correct myself from earlier. The Chiefs didn't spend 7 of the 30 pre-draft visits on QBs, they spent 8. It's clear they want a QB, but also clear they aren't just looking in the first round or bust.

We need an immediate impact player.  We are a playoff team. We dont need a QB that is gonna sit for a year or two.

[Image: HG.gif]

(04-27-2017, 05:33 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  I think it was Jonas and I that defended the wideouts. I really do believe a Tom Brady or Drew Brees would light up the sky with these receivers, especially if you're including Kelce in the mix. Maclin, Hill, Kelce, Conley... really, Conley is the only one that isn't more or less proven of that group, and he's literally one of the most talented (talking pure athleticism and speed) WRs in the league.

I think that's a lot of talent for a QB to throw to. The fact that Smith hasn't done more with those weapons is disappointing to say the least. That's not to say the position couldn't be improved, and we do have to look to the future. I wouldn't be against getting a receiver, I just think it's more of a want than a need.

You think you and Jonas were on the same page there?

(04-27-2017, 06:59 PM)HG Wrote:  We need an immediate impact player.  We are a playoff team. We dont need a QB that is gonna sit for a year or two.

I disagree. I think the Chiefs are in position to basically do whatever they want.

This is a pretty young team outside of a couple players. 5 players are 30 years old or older on the roster. Alex Smith (32), Derrick Johnson (34), Dustin Colquitt (34), Tamba Hali (33), and Frank Zombo (30). One is an expensive (though awesome) punter, another is a backup and career special teams guy. We were already moving on from Tamba with Ford, and I expect we'll see another ILB on this roster before the end of the weekend.

We're competing for division titles and the playoffs now, but there's no reason this couldn't continue after Alex Smith is gone, especially if we draft a great replacement on a rookie contract that doesn't hamper our ability to build a team around them.

Also, the Chiefs have 10 draft picks. I doubt they really have 10 roster spots reasonably available. Hence, they can package those picks to get more quality picks, like moving up in the first round or getting more picks in the 2nd or 3rd round. You want an immediate impact? A lot of times you can find that in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so why not go for quality and quantity? Heck, I'd be for moving out of the 1st round to get more 2nd/3rd round choices.

If they want to go get the best immediate impact player, that's great. I'll be all for it. But if they want to make this team a competitor for the next 5 or more years, drafting and developing a QB is a great way to do that.