Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs 2017 Offseason Thread
I've been waiting for a good reason to post an offseason thread, and non-news about Tony Romo hasn't been it. I just deleted two paragraphs of rant about how that non-debate is manufactured, never gonna happen, and so on... but I don't want to add fuel to that fire.

We did finally get some interesting news though.

The Chiefs were awarded 4 compensatory picks for this year's draft, a 3rd rounder (pick 104), a 5th rounder (pick 182), and two 6th rounders (pick 218 and 220). This is made more interesting by the fact that teams can, unlike previous years, trade compensatory picks and the Chiefs should have a total of 10 picks. So, the draft ought to be very interesting this year for Chiefs fans.

Also, the Chiefs signed RB CJ Spiller. If you've been taking a nap for a couple years you'd think this was huge news. It's not, really. He hasn't been able to stay healthy or even get opportunities when he was. So, this is a low risk, potentially high reward move for a backup and role player. I could see him entirely missing the roster. I could see him being the #2 back and integral to our offense. I could see him getting hurt and not even getting a chance to do anything.

I don't think the Spiller signing says anything about Jamaal Charles one way or the other. If it speaks to anyone's future in KC it's Knile Davis or Charcandrick West.
I would hate to see Davis leave, and not just because he was a Razorback but because he is superb at kickoff returns. One dimensional perhaps but of some value.
(02-24-2017, 04:04 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: I've been waiting for a good reason to post an offseason thread, and non-news about Tony Romo hasn't been it. I just deleted two paragraphs of rant about how that non-debate is manufactured, never gonna happen, and so on... but I don't want to add fuel to that fire.

The Chiefs were awarded 4 compensatory picks for this year's draft, a 3rd rounder (pick 104), a 5th rounder (pick 182), and two 6th rounders (pick 218 and 220). This is made more interesting by the fact that teams can, unlike previous years, trade compensatory picks and the Chiefs should have a total of 10 picks. So, the draft ought to be very interesting this year for Chiefs fans.

Also, the Chiefs signed RB CJ Spiller. If you've been taking a nap for a couple years you'd think this was huge news. It's not, really. He hasn't been able to stay healthy or even get opportunities when he was. So, this is a low risk, potentially high reward move for a backup and role player. I could see him entirely missing the roster. I could see him being the #2 back and integral to our offense. I could see him getting hurt and not even getting a chance to do anything.

I don't think the Spiller signing says anything about Jamaal Charles one way or the other. If it speaks to anyone's future in KC it's Knile Davis or Charcandrick West.

He was too dumb to get on the field in New Orleans.  Can't block for shit.  The Saints have a pretty sad RB corps and paid this guy a fortune, and were still happy to kick him to the curb and eat the cap hit.  I don't imagine he makes the opening day roster.
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
Yeah, they are going to cut Knile again.  They could let West go too.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(02-27-2017, 09:50 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 04:04 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: I've been waiting for a good reason to post an offseason thread, and non-news about Tony Romo hasn't been it. I just deleted two paragraphs of rant about how that non-debate is manufactured, never gonna happen, and so on... but I don't want to add fuel to that fire.

He was too dumb to get on the field in New Orleans.  Can't block for shit.  The Saints have a pretty sad RB corps and paid this guy a fortune, and were still happy to kick him to the curb and eat the cap hit.  I don't imagine he makes the opening day roster.

Yeah, I figured you'd have that opinion of him. I mostly agree with you.

There still was a 3 year span where Spiller was very successful moving the ball, including a 1,700 yard from scrimmage, 6.0 ypc year. He hasn't averaged more than 4 ypc for 3 full years now, so I'm not exactly banking on it.

If he can get back to being about a 4 ypc back that can catch the ball, he could be a solid role player despite his shortcomings. However, I would lean toward some virtual unknown like Darren Reaves being just as likely to take an opening day roster spot.
(02-27-2017, 10:08 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 09:50 AM)NOLA Wrote:

Yeah, I figured you'd have that opinion of him. I mostly agree with you.

There still was a 3 year span where Spiller was very successful moving the ball, including a 1,700 yard from scrimmage, 6.0 ypc year. He hasn't averaged more than 4 ypc for 3 full years now, so I'm not exactly banking on it.

If he can get back to being about a 4 ypc back that can catch the ball, he could be a solid role player despite his shortcomings. However, I would lean toward some virtual unknown like Darren Reaves being just as likely to take an opening day roster spot.

Pass protection is a pretty big part of Andy's offense, just like it was Payton's.  I can't imagine him being able to contribute in any meaningful way.  He literally can't learn a playbook.
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
KC signed Tardiff to a 5 year 42 million dollar contract.  

Which, for several reasons, is much more relevant than signing Spiller, whom I estimate has very little chance of being on the opening day roster.  

Is Tardiff worth that?  He was solid and definitely moving in the right direction, but damn... 42 million?  Did he really play THAT well?  

Also, sounds like KC is close to locking down Berry as the highest paid safety in the NFL.

So where's the cap space going to come from?
(02-27-2017, 08:59 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: KC signed Tardiff to a 5 year 42 million dollar contract.  

Which, for several reasons, is much more relevant than signing Spiller, whom I estimate has very little chance of being on the opening day roster.  

Is Tardiff worth that?  He was solid and definitely moving in the right direction, but damn... 42 million?  Did he really play THAT well?  

Also, sounds like KC is close to locking down Berry as the highest paid safety in the NFL.

Is Tardiff worth it? Probably not. That's pretty much elite guard money.

I checked some numbers according to Spotrac.com. There's a couple obvious moves to be made, namely Nick Foles. Cutting him alone knocks off $10.75M with no dead cap. That's not enough for Tardiff and Berry unless both are very backloaded.

The unfortunate truth is the Chiefs will have to cut a player or two they don't really want to. Jamaal Charles is probably the first ($6.2M saved, no hit). Maybe Colquitt ($4.1M saved, $800k hit). Cutting those two and Foles would put the Chiefs at about $19.2M in cap space before the Tardiff deal.

Whatever's left would quickly get chewed up on Berry and other relatively cheap free agents (Daniel Sorenson, Cairo Santos, Albert Wilson). Still, add in a little Dorsey magic due to contract quirks and... I'm guessing we'll delay some more cap pain to get everything done. Delaying cap hits is more or less incentivized by the current CBA since a certain amount of your free cap space is rolled over.

I think the long term plan is 2018 cut Alex or wait until 2019 when he's a free agent and roll with a young QB to save a bunch of money to spend on defense and elsewhere, basically the Seattle method of trying to contend.
(02-28-2017, 12:58 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 08:59 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: KC signed Tardiff to a 5 year 42 million dollar contract.  

Is Tardiff worth it? Probably not. That's pretty much elite guard money.

I checked some numbers according to Spotrac.com. There's a couple obvious moves to be made, namely Nick Foles. Cutting him alone knocks off $10.75M with no dead cap. That's not enough for Tardiff and Berry unless both are very backloaded.

The unfortunate truth is the Chiefs will have to cut a player or two they don't really want to. Jamaal Charles is probably the first ($6.2M saved, no hit). Maybe Colquitt ($4.1M saved, $800k hit). Cutting those two and Foles would put the Chiefs at about $19.2M in cap space before the Tardiff deal.

Whatever's left would quickly get chewed up on Berry and other relatively cheap free agents (Daniel Sorenson, Cairo Santos, Albert Wilson). Still, add in a little Dorsey magic due to contract quirks and... I'm guessing we'll delay some more cap pain to get everything done. Delaying cap hits is more or less incentivized by the current CBA since a certain amount of your free cap space is rolled over.

I think the long term plan is 2018 cut Alex or wait until 2019 when he's a free agent and roll with a young QB to save a bunch of money to spend on defense and elsewhere, basically the Seattle method of trying to contend.
From what I've heard LTD's contract is 'essentially' a 3 year deal 20 million dollar deal.

But you know how agents and GMs like to inflate those numbers for their resume.

I'm in favor of letting Wilson walk.  I'd like to keep sorenson for the right price.  

The salary cap is a tricky thing.  1.  Nobody actually has the real numbers except the league and the teams.  2.  Contracts are.. not to be taken at face value.  There's a lot of room to 'play' 

Obviously nobody is picking up the option for Foles 2nd season (that was obvious when we signed him).  Should be interesting to see if he garners interest or comes back to KC under a new deal.  I wouldn't be stunned at all if the latter happened.  I doubt he gets any interest as a starter, but IMO, foles is a solid #2.  Teams who need a safety net might pay him pretty well just for insurance.
Look like KC is fixing to lock up Berry 6/$78M

Whew... probably woulda been cheaper to sign him last year before his best season ever.

That's a lot of money locked up in Houston and Berry.  Would be nice to have them both on the field at the same time...