Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs 2017 Offseason Thread
(03-01-2017, 05:01 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 03:56 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 10:47 AM)NOLA Wrote: Does anybody have any guesses and how much Charles will get on the open market?  I'm genuinely curious.

The Saints could use him. Big Grin

Willing to bet he'll take a smaller base salary on an incentive laden contract on a team where he can get a lot of carries. I'm guessing $3M to #5M plus incentives, but I'm basing that on literally nothing but a guess.

He definitely fits the Saints free agency spending MO.  "Declining star coming off of injury" is second only to "guy coming off his rookie deal who's team inexplicably didn't try to keep him" as far as how they hand out cash.

Buyer beware on Charles. He's one of my favorite players ever, I was one of only a few people I know that were basically advocating him starting right away ahead of Larry Johnson. But realistically his knee is shot.

Listening to Andy Reid's press conference earlier, he said a lot of things like "if" Jamaal decides to play again and that Jamaal doesn't have to prove anything. I'm speculating, but it didn't sound like Reid was too confident Jamaal would or should play.

I wouldn't give him a mostly guaranteed contract unless it was well under market value. If Jamaal believes in himself, he should be willing to sign an incentive-based deal.
(03-01-2017, 05:41 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 10:47 AM)NOLA Wrote: Does anybody have any guesses and how much Charles will get on the open market?  I'm genuinely curious.

Willing to bet he'll take a smaller base salary on an incentive laden contract on a team where he can get a lot of carries. I'm guessing $3M to #5M plus incentives, but I'm basing that on literally nothing but a guess.

He definitely fits the Saints free agency spending MO.  "Declining star coming off of injury" is second only to "guy coming off his rookie deal who's team inexplicably didn't try to keep him" as far as how they hand out cash.

Buyer beware on Charles. He's one of my favorite players ever, I was one of only a few people I know that were basically advocating him starting right away ahead of Larry Johnson. But realistically his knee is shot.

Listening to Andy Reid's press conference earlier, he said a lot of things like "if" Jamaal decides to play again and that Jamaal doesn't have to prove anything. I'm speculating, but it didn't sound like Reid was too confident Jamaal would or should play.

I wouldn't give him a mostly guaranteed contract unless it was well under market value. If Jamaal believes in himself, he should be willing to sign an incentive-based deal.

Well, keep in mind that I was insinuating that the Saints make poor free agency decisions, and this fits that mold.  I don't think he has anything left; I do think the Saints would overpay for the privilege of finding that out first hand.
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
(03-01-2017, 05:41 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

Are you trolling me? 

I'm calling revisionist history on that one.  I was one against many on that.  I remember you and I were both giddy about drafting JC and Flowers in particular.  I got a nuclear reaction when I advocated for starting him over LJ though, and even I'll amid it was largely just because I hated Larry Johnson.  I wanted the team to trade him after his 2000 yard season.  Packers wanted him.  If you were advocating that, you were doing so very quietly, because I could have used the damn support.  Or maybe it's just because you weren't obnoxious about it like I was, because I was pretty persistent about it.  Big Grin

"He's just a track guy, no agility or vision."

"He's a poor man's reggie bush."

"He fumbles all the time."

"He's too small"

"He's a 3rd down back at best."

"Jamaal fumbled a kick off!  Let's cut him and put him on the practice squad!"  

That last one was Barry.  Big Grin  

Man, I really hated that LJ, and he was every bit the piece of shit I kept telling people he was.  Those were dark times.
Ugh, moving on I think it's HIGHLY likely KC goes after a RB in the draft in the top 3 rounds.  It's a deep position right?  

Cos I'm watching these prospects game clips and it looks deep.  

And I'm rough on college runners...
(03-02-2017, 07:32 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Ugh, moving on I think it's HIGHLY likely KC goes after a RB in the draft in the top 3 rounds.  It's a deep position right?  

We've been awfully spoiled with Priest, LJ and JC in succession.  I sure hope we get a good one.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(03-03-2017, 08:08 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(03-02-2017, 07:32 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Ugh, moving on I think it's HIGHLY likely KC goes after a RB in the draft in the top 3 rounds.  It's a deep position right?  

We've been awfully spoiled with Priest, LJ and JC in succession.  I sure hope we get a good one.

That's the truth.

I really would like to find a good back that can work with Ware.  I think Ware just isn't 'full time' material.  He seems unstoppable for 3 or 4 games but his punishing style seems to slow him down after a while.  I think West is a JAG and I don't think Spiller will be on the team.  

As much talk as Andy gets about QB's (and he's always made mediocre QB's look far better than they actually are, see present QB, but he's never developed a GREAT QB) his real skill in this regard has been finding gems at RB in the middle rounds and developing them into multi dimensional contributors.  

I guess Reek always is in there as a utility guy, but his role as a WR will be growing next season.

Fournette will probably go at the top for RB's, and I don't see it.  If he lands on a bad team, he's Trent Richardson.  If he lands on a team with an elite OL, he's Larry Johnson.  At best a few year flash in the pan.  No NFL level burst, but he's a train when he's moving full speed (much like LJ was, but bigger and stronger... and slower).  The way I see it, he's pushing the better prospects down the charts.
So... free agency starts today, I guess?
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Dude, really?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/3/8/1...-marijuana
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
NOLA, one random thing I'm wondering about the Saints is if they actually want to trade Brandon Cooks. Sounds like they turned down the Titans offer of 18th overall. Is it just that Cooks wants out, or what?
(03-08-2017, 08:52 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: NOLA, one random thing I'm wondering about the Saints is if they actually want to trade Brandon Cooks. Sounds like they turned down the Titans offer of 18th overall. Is it just that Cooks wants out, or what?

They don't want to trade Cooks so much as Cooks is trying to talk his way out of town.  I think they're just playing hardball trying to get a better offer from the Patriots, honestly.  I wouldn't read too much into the turning down of the Titans offer just yet.  There are several suitors, which is actually kinda unusual.