Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old folks Concerts
Went to the Missouri State Fair over the weekend.  Let me start out by saying it sucked really bad.  However the reason we traveled there was to go see a concert.  I was expecting a geriatric performance and wow was I wrong.  There were men there older then me, balder then me, and fatter then me that were head bangin and rocking out like crazy.  they could teach these kids a thing or two.  There was even a guy in a electric wheel chair missing a leg that played the air guitar so hard he almost fell out of the chair.  

Up first was a band that i first saw in 1982 when they opened for KISS.  Molly Hatchet.  They were hilarious and very patriotic.   Even asked us to buy a band t-shirt so they could have gas money to get home.  

They were followed by Foghat.  Wow.  They took me by surprise.  They nailed it.  Great show.  Great time.

Now the last one I thought would be was gonna be kind of a joke .  They couldn't be what they used to be.  And since the only original member still alive was the lead singer I was prepared for the worst since he is over 70.  Again I was so wrong.  The band is Steppenwolf.  And that man bounce around the stage like he was 35.  Ever guy on the stage was at least over 50 and they kicked ass all over the place.  What a great night.    We took a Slow Ride on a magic Carpet Ride and Flirted with Disaster.
[Image: HG.gif]
I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd (which, to be fair, hasn't really been Lynyrd Skynyrd since the mid '70s) a little over a week ago Friday.  I was pleasantly surprised not be the youngest person there.  But I was still pretty close.  And I am not longer anything approximating "young".

HG, I am sure you would've been right at home.
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
I saw Steppenwolf in I think it was 1970.  I feel old.
You are
[Image: HG.gif]
Or, in the words of one of my favorite songs "I can't help getting older but I won't get old"
I saw GnR two weeks ago. I was impressed by how good they sounded. I mean, they're no Foghat but good none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-16-2016, 08:33 PM)DallasChief Wrote: I saw GnR two weeks ago. I was impressed by how good they sounded.  I mean, they're no Foghat but good none the less.

I have heard from several folks that have seen GnR on this recent tour, and they have all come away with your impression. Couldn't believe they sounded as if it was 1988. 
As far as the Old Folks concerts go, in a couple weeks a town near me is having their Soy Bean Festival, and one of the bands is going to be Three Dog Night. Talk about Old School.
(08-17-2016, 08:18 PM)chiefsfaninky Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 08:33 PM)DallasChief Wrote: I saw GnR two weeks ago. I was impressed by how good they sounded.  I mean, they're no Foghat but good none the less.

I have heard from several folks that have seen GnR on this recent tour, and they have all come away with your impression. Couldn't believe they sounded as if it was 1988. 
As far as the Old Folks concerts go, in a couple weeks a town near me is having their Soy Bean Festival, and one of the bands is going to be Three Dog Night. Talk about Old School.

Dude, I love Three Dog Night. I would totally see them (if it were cheap and convenient). You should do it.

My buddies and I are making plans to go see Widespread Panic (and the Saints play in Atlanta) for New Years (so they can get away from their wives and kids). That counts as an old folks concert now. And that hurts.

Sent from my Batphone... because I'm Batman!
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
(08-17-2016, 08:47 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 08:18 PM)chiefsfaninky Wrote:

Dude, I love Three Dog Night. I would totally see them (if it were cheap and convenient). You should do it.

My buddies and I are making plans to go see Widespread Panic (and the Saints play in Atlanta) for New Years (so they can get away from their wives and kids). That counts as an old folks concert now. And that hurts.

Sent from my Batphone... because I'm Batman!
IIIRC, the concert is free. I also am a fan of TDG.  I will have to check, but I think there is another old school band playing.
I don't know a single Three Dog Night but I'm not old like NOLA.