Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music - What Are You Listening To?
(10-08-2015, 11:17 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 02:47 PM)F-Rott Wrote: I'm a heavy kinda guy. I'm currently listening to:

1. Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage
  2. Machine Head - Bloodstone and Diamonds
  3. Faith No More - Sol Invictus
That's about it. I don't listen to radio or streaming radio all that much.

Welp, who wants to bet I'm the only other one on this board who knows who Gojira is?

Please. It's the original Japanese name for Godzilla. I wanted to name my cat that (if I got to name my cat).

But seriously, yes, I have heard Gojira. One of my brothers-in-law is huge into metal, reading blogs and forums to find new bands. He knows I kinda like metal (I used to be more into it than I am now), but he'll show me new bands every time I see him.

Recently, he's been on a real Nekrogoblikon kick. They aren't terrible by my standards despite being one of those bands that primarily screams instead of sings, but their videos are hilarious, like this:

Like I said I prefer bands that sing more than scream and I also like progressive rock/metal, which Gojira seems to be kind of borderline progressive. I like 'em.

Seeing F-Rott post Faith No More brought me back some. I always liked them, especially their more smooth, jazzy kind of songs. I hadn't heard the Sol Invictus album, but I'm listening to it right now and digging it.
VOLBEAT!!!!
[Image: HG.gif]
(10-09-2015, 07:28 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 02:47 PM)F-Rott Wrote: I'm a heavy kinda guy. I'm currently listening to:

Welp, who wants to bet I'm the only other one on this board who knows who Gojira is?

Please. It's the original Japanese name for Godzilla. I wanted to name my cat that (if I got to name my cat).

But seriously, yes, I have heard Gojira. One of my brothers-in-law is huge into metal, reading blogs and forums to find new bands. He knows I kinda like metal (I used to be more into it than I am now), but he'll show me new bands every time I see him.

Recently, he's been on a real Nekrogoblikon kick. They aren't terrible by my standards despite being one of those bands that primarily screams instead of sings, but their videos are hilarious, like this:

Like I said I prefer bands that sing more than scream and I also like progressive rock/metal, which Gojira seems to be kind of borderline progressive. I like 'em.

Seeing F-Rott post Faith No More brought me back some. I always liked them, especially their more smooth, jazzy kind of songs. I hadn't heard the Sol Invictus album, but I'm listening to it right now and digging it.

Yeah, that new FNM is pretty good. It grows on you.

I'm currently waiting on the new Tool and Killswitch Engage. I like Gojira because his voice is not that annoying when he's screaming. It's a smooth, laid-back kind of loud voice. Their latest 2012 album is awesome. The lyrics are very earth-based and full of introspection. I also like The Way of All Flesh, but their earlier stuff before those 2 albums gets a little too death metal for me. They experiment more on the newest, and that makes me excited to hear their new album.
[Image: BjYgdYO.png]
(10-09-2015, 07:28 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:

I haven't heard anything new from Gojira.  When I heard them they were basically doing the Neurosis genre (prog... metal... something), and I already like(d) ISIS (no, not that ISIS) and Pelican more as far as that goes.  Well, and OBVIOUSLY Neurosis.  I'm not that familiar.

I don't think my love of FNM is a secret around this crowd.  I know it's been a while since we had a music thread, but my heterosexual man-crush on Mike Patton was always pretty overt.

Also, hey... new Clutch dropped earlier this month.  Saw them with Mastodon and Graveyard (an awesome retro-rock band... Swedish I think) at Red Rock earlier this year, and Clutch rocked so hard the crowd was burnt out and leaving for the main event, which was Mastodon.  

(10-10-2015, 09:27 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: I haven't heard anything new from Gojira.  When I heard them they were basically doing the Neurosis genre (prog... metal... something), and I already like(d) ISIS (no, not that ISIS) and Pelican more as far as that goes.  Well, and OBVIOUSLY Neurosis.  I'm not that familiar.

I don't think my love of FNM is a secret around this crowd.  I know it's been a while since we had a music thread, but my heterosexual man-crush on Mike Patton was always pretty overt.

Also, hey... new Clutch dropped earlier this month.  Saw them with Mastodon and Graveyard (an awesome retro-rock band... Swedish I think) at Red Rock earlier this year, and Clutch rocked so hard the crowd was burnt out and leaving for the main event, which was Mastodon.  

Yeah, I dig Mike Patton too.

The crowd might have left for Mastodon because of the interview Brent Hinds, the frontman, gave to Guitar Player magazine a little while ago saying he "fucking hates heavy metal and doesn't want to be in a heavy metal band". According to him, two other guys in the band coaxed him into it in college. Crowds might see him as fake and/or dishonest.
[Image: BjYgdYO.png]
(10-10-2015, 10:50 AM)F-Rott Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 09:27 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: I haven't heard anything new from Gojira.  When I heard them they were basically doing the Neurosis genre (prog... metal... something), and I already like(d) ISIS (no, not that ISIS) and Pelican more as far as that goes.  Well, and OBVIOUSLY Neurosis.  I'm not that familiar.

Yeah, I dig Mike Patton too.

The crowd might have left for Mastodon because of the interview Brent Hinds, the frontman, gave to Guitar Player magazine a little while ago saying he "fucking hates heavy metal and doesn't want to be in a heavy metal band". According to him, two other guys in the band coaxed him into it in college. Crowds might see him as fake and/or dishonest.

This was back in April, so I dunno when that interview happened.  I think people just wanted to get out before the parking lot was gridlocked, and I don't think it was a Mastodon crowd.  It was a Clutch crowd.
Had some Mozart piano concertos going earlier today. Going to find something loud now. Maybe Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert. I love Pete Townshend introducing Clapton as "third rhythm guitarist".
I'm listening to some Foo Fighters while shopping for a new computer.
Stephen Stills--Manassas.  Such an incredible variety of damn good music.
Joe Walsh--The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get