Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE X-FILES REBORN (formerly NOLA! NOOOOLLAAAA!)
(8 hours ago)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: Nothing on this one, NOLA?

Sad

Sorry.  Just been super busy with work the last few, uh... months.

I liked it overall.  Probably not quite as good as last week, but worlds ahead of anything from last season not written by Darin Morgan.  The X-File never really came together for me... usually I can get at least a rough idea of what the internal logic of the phenomenon might be, but I never really got this one, so it felt a little sloppy even by the show's own standards.  That said, the performances were good, and the Mulder and Scully stuff was actually pretty great for coming from Chris Carter.  The afterglow line was gold, so I assume it was an adlib.  Was also blown away by the number of people claiming to be fans of this show who think that this is not only the first time we've seen overt evidence of Mulder and Scully fucking, but the first time it's happened to the characters (I stand by my late Season 6 timeframe guess).

Overall, I think it had a very "Season 7" vibe to it in both the quality of the case, and the breezy, casual nature of M&S interacting.  I think you made that comment about last week's episode, and I agree and think it's the overall feel so far, which I'm good with. If Mulder just gives up and turns someone loose next week ("The Amazing Maleeni"), we'll be there.

So yeah, good stuff.  I'm psyched for a new Darin Morgan episode on Wednesday, but I have Mardi Gras obligations (oh yeah, I'm a Mardi Gras parade Captain now), so I'll have to catch it online later this week.
(8 hours ago)NOLA Wrote:

Sad

I liked it overall.  Probably not quite as good as last week, but worlds ahead of anything from last season not written by Darin Morgan.  The X-File never really came together for me... usually I can get at least a rough idea of what the internal logic of the phenomenon might be, but I never really got this one, so it felt a little sloppy even by the show's own standards.  That said, the performances were good, and the Mulder and Scully stuff was actually pretty great for coming from Chris Carter.  The afterglow line was gold, so I assume it was an adlib.  Was also blown away by the number of people claiming to be fans of this show who think that this is not only the first time we've seen overt evidence of Mulder and Scully fucking, but the first time it's happened to the characters (I stand by my late Season 6 timeframe guess).

Overall, I think it had a very "Season 7" vibe to it in both the quality of the case, and the breezy, casual nature of M&S interacting.  I think you made that comment about last week's episode, and I agree and think it's the overall feel so far, which I'm good with. If Mulder just gives up and turns someone loose next week ("The Amazing Maleeni"), we'll be there.

So yeah, good stuff.  I'm psyched for a new Darin Morgan episode on Wednesday, but I have Mardi Gras obligations (oh yeah, I'm a Mardi Gras parade Captain now), so I'll have to catch it online later this week.

It was probably the best Carter-penned episode since... well... um... "Milagro", I guess?  Which also has all sorts of holes but I still enjoy it. Carter is just not good with plots.  He is, after all, the writer of "Fight Club", a crime against humanity that he has yet to be prosecuted for.

I agree with your season 6 timeline (after Mulder told Scully he loves her in "Triangle" - he was dead serious - they were going to do the deed eventually). However, the most overt signs of the 'ship was in Season 7, with "Millennium" and "all things".  They certainly were either already doing it, or were close to it, by "The Rain King" in Season 6, IMO.

I may actually get to see the 11x4 broadcast because I'm not in class, as I have to get up early on Thursday to drive Kidlet to Missouri S&T for her campus visit.  Planning on a re-watch of 11x3 tonight.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(7 hours ago)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(8 hours ago)NOLA Wrote:

Sad

It was probably the best Carter-penned episode since... well... um... "Milagro", I guess?  Which also has all sorts of holes but I still enjoy it. Carter is just not good with plots.  He is, after all, the writer of "Fight Club", a crime against humanity that he has yet to be prosecuted for.

I agree with your season 6 timeline (after Mulder told Scully he loves her in "Triangle" - he was dead serious - they were going to do the deed eventually). However, the most overt signs of the 'ship was in Season 7, with "Millennium" and "all things".  They certainly were either already doing it, or were close to it, by "The Rain King" in Season 6, IMO.

I may actually get to see the 11x4 broadcast because I'm not in class, as I have to get up early on Thursday to drive Kidlet to Missouri S&T for her campus visit.  Planning on a re-watch of 11x3 tonight.

I forgot that "Milagro" was a Chis Carter episode.  I love that episode just for John Hawkes' really great performance.  Very sad, but with a very suitable level of creepiness and arrogance that makes his fate feel deserved.  I lesser actor would've screwed that up, especially when you consider how self-reverential stories about writers usually are.

A lot of people also seem to have not seen X-Files: I Want to Believe, or are wilfully ignoring it.  They were cohabitating in that one.
(7 hours ago)NOLA Wrote:
(7 hours ago)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(8 hours ago)NOLA Wrote:

Sad

I forgot that "Milagro" was a Chis Carter episode.  I love that episode just for John Hawkes' really great performance.  Very sad, but with a very suitable level of creepiness and arrogance that makes his fate feel deserved.  I lesser actor would've screwed that up, especially when you consider how self-reverential stories about writers usually are.

A lot of people also seem to have not seen X-Files: I Want to Believe, or are wilfully ignoring it.  They were cohabitating in that one.

Yes. And while I didn't hate that movie (it shouldn't have been released in Summer, for one) IMO Carter screwed up with the "Mulder and Scully on the run... and now they aren't, hiding in plain site in freaking VIRGINIA??"

It was, for one, a sterling opportunity to make Scully a blonde.

Ah well.

(2 hours ago)NOLA Wrote:

[Image: scully-smile.gif]