Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE X-FILES REBORN (formerly NOLA! NOOOOLLAAAA!)
(01-25-2018, 12:02 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 09:10 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: Oh dude.

Can't wait to discuss this one with you.

I watched it this morning and came to work late.  There was lots of stuff I loved--"I think you just like saying 'squatchin''"; "'We'll come visit you, Reggie,' 'No you won't'"--but I think maybe my expectations were too high.  As much as I liked it, I think liked "Were-Monster" more... this one was topical, which is fine, or good even, but reality already bums me out enough these days as it is.  

Will try to watch it again later.  Young Mulder was awesome.  It was overall a great episode, but I still feel a little let down and I can't articulate why, really.

Really, I like this more than "Were-monster", but maybe it's the context with the eps in front of it that makes "Were-monster" stand out more from last season?
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(01-28-2018, 05:15 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 12:02 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 09:10 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: Oh dude.

Can't wait to discuss this one with you.

I watched it this morning and came to work late.  There was lots of stuff I loved--"I think you just like saying 'squatchin''"; "'We'll come visit you, Reggie,' 'No you won't'"--but I think maybe my expectations were too high.  As much as I liked it, I think liked "Were-Monster" more... this one was topical, which is fine, or good even, but reality already bums me out enough these days as it is.  

Will try to watch it again later.  Young Mulder was awesome.  It was overall a great episode, but I still feel a little let down and I can't articulate why, really.

Really, I like this more than "Were-monster", but maybe it's the context with the eps in front of it that makes "Were-monster" stand out more from last season?

It's Rhys Darby's performance, and the character he plays.  His monologue to Mulder in the cemetery was just perfect and I have since watched this episode many times.  "What else was I supposed to do? If I haven't written my novel by now, I'm never going to write it, you know?"  Or "I quickly realized that the only way to be happy as a human was to spend all of your time in the company of non-humans."  Or "Fox, man, you've got to put me out of my misery! I don't want to wake up tomorrow and have to go to work!"

I just found that story really sweet and sad in a deeply relatable way that I found very cathartic.

By contrast, the central conceit of the "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" was very astute commentary on our current world in a way that I found at once both very recognizable and also deeply, deeply depressing.  I'm not inclined to watch it again not because of any lack of quality--there are so many good moments--but because the overall sense of hopelessness it left me with is something I'm already feeling too frequently.

Anyway, I will leave you with this.

Interesting, but didn't Scully say Reggie's last name is Murgatroyd?

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/the-x-fil...sweat.html
I really liked last night's episode.  Maybe the most "complete" of any episode of either of the new seasons.
(02-01-2018, 03:53 PM)NOLA Wrote: I really liked last night's episode.  Maybe the most "complete" of any episode of either of the new seasons.

I am *literally* watching it as I type.  I'll be back shortly with my thoughts.
(02-01-2018, 07:59 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 03:53 PM)NOLA Wrote: I really liked last night's episode.  Maybe the most "complete" of any episode of either of the new seasons.

?
(02-03-2018, 09:59 AM)NOLA Wrote:

?

I got stupid-busy.

I really liked it also.  They're really hitting a good stride in S11 and it *feels* like the old show again. Too bad it's the last one.
(02-06-2018, 10:43 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:

?

I got stupid-busy.

I really liked it also.  They're really hitting a good stride in S11 and it *feels* like the old show again. Too bad it's the last one.

Specifically, I thought making William the monster (of the week)--and not a particularly sympathetic one from any sort of objective perspective--was a really clever way of reintroducing William and blending that part of the mythology into the series in a pretty successful way.  James Wong still has a fastball.
(02-06-2018, 10:45 AM)NOLA Wrote:

?

I got stupid-busy.

Specifically, I thought making William the monster (of the week)--and not a particularly sympathetic one from any sort of objective perspective--was a really clever way of reintroducing William and blending that part of the mythology into the series in a pretty successful way.  James Wong still has a fastball.

Yes.  It was a good solution, and it doesn't make William some sort of savior by his character alone.
(02-06-2018, 12:32 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 10:45 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 07:59 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I am *literally* watching it as I type.  I'll be back shortly with my thoughts.

?

I got stupid-busy.

Yes.  It was a good solution, and it doesn't make William some sort of savior by his character alone.

Also, Francois Chau's performance was great.  Super subtle, but he really sold the oblivious, entitled naivety of a teenage boy really well (even if his performance didn't quite match the actual kid playing William).  Mulder calling out the Malcolm X quote was pretty great.  Like, "C'mon, Scully, really?"