Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE X-FILES REBORN (formerly NOLA! NOOOOLLAAAA!)
(01-10-2018, 10:20 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 05:00 PM)NOLA Wrote: Tomorrow night's cold open:

There's some interesting elements at play here, but I'm already wondering if we're going to cover ground similar to ideas already covered in "4-D" (yes, I've seen season 9... I think).

Actually, "4-D" is one of the eps I liked in Season 9. So that works for me.

I agree.  The best season 9 episodes ("John Doe" in particular) were just really good, self-contained x-file cases.
(01-10-2018, 10:29 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 10:20 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 05:00 PM)NOLA Wrote: Tomorrow night's cold open:

There's some interesting elements at play here, but I'm already wondering if we're going to cover ground similar to ideas already covered in "4-D" (yes, I've seen season 9... I think).

Actually, "4-D" is one of the eps I liked in Season 9. So that works for me.

I agree.  The best season 9 episodes ("John Doe" in particular) were just really good, self-contained x-file cases.

Yeah.  When they stopped trying to force things, it worked well.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
I think it was... good?  Like, I think it would fit in fine as at least an average season 6 or 7 episode.
(01-10-2018, 09:09 PM)NOLA Wrote: I think it was... good?  Like, I think it would fit in fine as at least an average season 6 or 7 episode.

I'll watch it tonight.

And there's this tidbit. Too bad.  I really liked Doggett.

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/th...n-11-news/
(01-10-2018, 09:09 PM)NOLA Wrote: I think it was... good?  Like, I think it would fit in fine as at least an average season 6 or 7 episode.

Watched it last night, but I want to watch it again because I know I missed some easter eggs (and there's a ton in there).

I think it was a very strong episode, objectively.  Definitely 2nd best of the revival (after, of course, "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster") that we've seen so far.  If it were in Season 7 it would have been in the better eps of that season (and it had that vibe, I agree).  I was highly entertained, especially by Action!Scully and all of Mulder's little comments about their relationship.  In fact, the relationship was actually addressed in an X-Files way (always indrectly) and I thought that this is the first time M&S together felt utterly natural and normal and comfortable as it did back in the day (esp in seasons 5-7).

It actually felt like a sequel of sorts to "Kill Switch" (which actually would have been kind of a good idea if they'd went ahead and made a more direct connection, but they didn't).

There are some gaping plot holes. Frohike's never-mentioned mystery girlfriend? The timing of the assassin attack? I'm still not clear on who the Russian guys are (American private contractor headquartered in MOSCOW?) Frohike's tombstone was left BACKWARDS in ARLINGTON for 17 years? What was the point of bringing up Deep Throat, again? But they were very... traditional... plot holes in this show, so it didn't bother me the way all of the massive holes in the mytharc do.

I was kind of hoping they wouldn't reveal Deep Throat's real name, because no matter what it was, it'd be boring and a let down.

"Scully you looked so adorbs just there, all curled up in a ball in the booth of a skanky bar with your fingers wrapped around the grip of an assassin’s Glock."

That's my Mulder.

Oh, and...

SCULLY: “Why do you operate so well with your hands cuffed behind your back?”

MULDER: “As if you didn’t know."

[Image: 1f99f6628345ef27cb5779f9e6f7ce38.gif]

It felt like the most comfortable episode in terms of M&S and it hit all the right notes, y'know?

I found this review that I pretty much agree with: http://ew.com/recap/the-x-files-season-11-episode-2/

OH - and one more thing.  IMO, the shots of the trio of assassins driving up to Mulder's house listening to "California  Sun" was basically a throw-back to the Peacocks going to kill Sheriff Andy in "Home".
Okay, so I was completely thrown off by something that really colored the episode for me differently the first time I watched it... I thought the long-haired assassin was being played by William Davis.  Totally thought that was him in the cold open.  Dude was a dead-ringer for him, so I thought the "twist" was going to be that we were watching a digital Mulder and Scully investigating the simulation from inside the simulation because they'd been digitized from their years of cell-phone use.  I thought that was why they didn't recognize CSM, and also explained some of the other discrepancies you mentioned.  Also, the episode had a super-paranoid energy, so that worked.  But, that wasn't William Davis, it was some dude named Darren Friss.  I must just be face-blind.  I even have a big fancy TV now.

So yeah, I need to re-watch the episode with an eye towards assuming it's taking place in the real world instead of looking for clues that it's not (I think we are, as viewers, meant to at least consider the whole "what if we're living in the Matrix... whoa?" aspect of the plot; I don't think that's ultimately what's happening, though).

I think my only real criticism is that the show has made a hard-left into M&S not trusting Skinner again, which feels a bit forced.
(01-12-2018, 09:33 AM)NOLA Wrote: Okay, so I was completely thrown off by something that really colored the episode for me differently the first time I watched it... I thought the long-haired assassin was being played by William Davis.  Totally thought that was him in the cold open.  Dude was a dead-ringer for him, so I thought the "twist" was going to be that we were watching a digital Mulder and Scully investigating the simulation from inside the simulation because they'd been digitized from their years of cell-phone use.  I thought that was why they didn't recognize CSM, and also explained some of the other discrepancies you mentioned.  Also, the episode had a super-paranoid energy, so that worked.  But, that wasn't William Davis, it was some dude named Darren Friss.  I must just be face-blind.  I even have a big fancy TV now.

So yeah, I need to re-watch the episode with an eye towards assuming it's taking place in the real world instead of looking for clues that it's not (I think we are, as viewers, meant to at least consider the whole "what if we're living in the Matrix... whoa?" aspect of the plot; I don't think that's ultimately what's happening, though).

I think my only real criticism is that the show has made a hard-left into M&S not trusting Skinner again, which feels a bit forced.

Mr. Chick had the same reaction - dude does look like William B. Davis at a glance. And I'm trying to remember where I've seen that actor before.  His name is Dean Friss and he's an X-Files behind the scenes guy according to this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0295918/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9.  AAANND he's a friend of Glen Morgan's. Makes more sense now: http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Dean+Friss/...Y2Ui-iX8kV

Kinda like how Frohike was played by Tom Braidwood, who was an AD on the show (and of course D. Morgan playing Flukeman and Eddie Van Blundht-with-a-silent-H).

I understand why you'd think that, and some reviews suggest that they MIGHT actually be in that simulation. I don't think so, but a computer simulation would explain 11x1 a lot better as that made ZERO SENSE AT ALL.

I agree with the hard left on Skinner but there must be a reason other than his advice to surrender, which I still don't quite understand.

And when did Mulder learn how to fight? Big Grin
(01-12-2018, 10:55 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 09:33 AM)NOLA Wrote: Okay, so I was completely thrown off by something that really colored the episode for me differently the first time I watched it... I thought the long-haired assassin was being played by William Davis.  Totally thought that was him in the cold open.  Dude was a dead-ringer for him, so I thought the "twist" was going to be that we were watching a digital Mulder and Scully investigating the simulation from inside the simulation because they'd been digitized from their years of cell-phone use.  I thought that was why they didn't recognize CSM, and also explained some of the other discrepancies you mentioned.  Also, the episode had a super-paranoid energy, so that worked.  But, that wasn't William Davis, it was some dude named Darren Friss.  I must just be face-blind.  I even have a big fancy TV now.

Mr. Chick had the same reaction - dude does look like William B. Davis at a glance. And I'm trying to remember where I've seen that actor before.  His name is Dean Friss and he's an X-Files behind the scenes guy according to this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0295918/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9.  AAANND he's a friend of Glen Morgan's. Makes more sense now: http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Dean+Friss/...Y2Ui-iX8kV

Kinda like how Frohike was played by Tom Braidwood, who was an AD on the show (and of course D. Morgan playing Flukeman and Eddie Van Blundht-with-a-silent-H).

I understand why you'd think that, and some reviews suggest that they MIGHT actually be in that simulation. I don't think so, but a computer simulation would explain 11x1 a lot better as that made ZERO SENSE AT ALL.

I agree with the hard left on Skinner but there must be a reason other than his advice to surrender, which I still don't quite understand.

Well, they were already distrusting of Skinner before they called him because of the weird events of last week's episode.  Assuming it's all in continuity, it's: a) Scully gets sick; b) Mulder gets paranoid and confronts Skinner about smelling like smoke; and c) we the audience know the creepy shit CSM told Skinner (also making his paranoia justified, again).  There's some narrative groundwork laid, but still, it just seems like a weird creative decision this late in the game.  Also, I like Skinner much better as an ally for Mulder and Scully.  Every few years Carter makes them do this thing with him, and it doesn't work.

Yeah, I though Scully and Mulder both having Matrix-level fighting skills in this episode was another clue they were simulations of Mulder and Scully and not the real things... seemed like wish-fulfillment, as did them both seemingly staying together at Mulder's house (versus last season when they were just reconnecting).  I assumed that if the episode were a simulation, it was just a one-off and not a mythology ep, but I did think that's where it was going.
(01-12-2018, 12:13 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:55 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:

Well, they were already distrusting of Skinner before they called him because of the weird events of last week's episode.  Assuming it's all in continuity, it's: a) Scully gets sick; b) Mulder gets paranoid and confronts Skinner about smelling like smoke; and c) we the audience know the creepy shit CSM told Skinner (also making his paranoia justified, again).  There's some narrative groundwork laid, but still, it just seems like a weird creative decision this late in the game.  Also, I like Skinner much better as an ally for Mulder and Scully.  Every few years Carter makes them do this thing with him, and it doesn't work.

Yeah, I though Scully and Mulder both having Matrix-level fighting skills in this episode was another clue they were simulations of Mulder and Scully and not the real things... seemed like wish-fulfillment, as did them both seemingly staying together at Mulder's house (versus last season when they were just reconnecting).  I assumed that if the episode were a simulation, it was just a one-off and not a mythology ep, but I did think that's where it was going.

I think that is partially left open to interpretation.  It would actually explain everything after "the Truth" if that were the case.  There was a time where I read a lot of X-Files fanfic, and that was a popular theme.

Don't judge me.

Because I know how these things are done, the fight scenes were a little TOO good for what we know of Mulder & Scully, yes.  Esp. Scully's stunt slide under the table.  But, I would remind you that I learned martial arts stuff in the last 10 years (our conversation about this show started before I'd ever first trained at all, mind you) and although I don't train what you saw, I bet I could learn to do such things within a few months, so it *is* possible. It's just harder to believe since nobody's mentioned either of them training (I didn't see anything in the background either, say, of Mulder's house having a punching bag or gloves in a corner, but I didn't look too hard for one either).  It actually isn't that difficult to get good at this stuff if you put in the work.

However, having Mulder say he thought he was gonna puke after that last fight was pretty awesome.  I'm a big fan of violent physical conflict having SOME effect on the fighters (because... they do), and he was pretty much bruise/cut free, so having him feel puke-y at least adds a small point of realism.
Interesting interview with Glen Morgan... Barbara Hershey's character was added to last week's episode to give this episode a more myth-arc feel, as opposed to Carter forcing the character into this episode for the same reason.  I don't know why, but I like that a lot better even though the net result is the same.  Maybe Carter is giving people their space, even if he's shitting on his own canvas.

Also a good reminder that Frohike was supposed to die in season 4 at the end of "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man".

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-x-fil...about-this