Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comic Book TV Shows and Movies - All The Things!
(02-17-2019, 03:40 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: As of right now it seems to be tracking towards $100m opening weekend. I think it will come down to one thing. Is it any good. Which it looks like it will be. If the reviews start coming in and praising it. It will do well. I mean when is the last flop marvel had?

Well, 80-100 million.  A month ago they were projecting 160 million on opening weekend. 

I agree they don't flop.  Avengers 2 was atrocious and made 800 million.  Batman Vs. Superman was considered a FAILURE and grossed 800 million.  Fucking AQUAMAN just grossed over a fucking billion dollars!

Flop is relative.  They started out expecting Black Panther numbers (which they did NOT anticipate) and now have taken projections to half of that... more along the lines of Dr. Strange.  

However after the critical love of Star Wars TLJ, the overall negative fan response, and the subsequent failure of SOLO I've come to think that ANY franchise can blow it's own toes off.

Kevin Feige is a genius.  What he's done is unprecedented in film.  In spite of my skepticism I would not be at all shocked if he makes something awesome out of it.  EVen though it KINDA looks like they're ripping off the green lantern origin more than a little.  We'll see.
I don't really get the whole backlash against the "SJW" agenda in films. If a film is good or at the very least entertaining I don't care about the lead or who was cast. I like Rey and for the most part I liked TLJ.

The issue is when the agenda or theme overrides the plot. There can be films where to 2 go hand in hand like wonder woman and films where they are trying too hard. Like ghost busters.

I don't dislike the remake because it was all girls. I dislike the remake because it wasn't funny.
[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates
(02-17-2019, 05:38 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: I don't really get the whole backlash against the "SJW" agenda in films. If a film is good or at the very least entertaining I don't care about the lead or who was cast. I like Rey and for the most part I liked TLJ.

The issue is when the agenda or theme overrides the plot. There can be films where to 2 go hand in hand like wonder woman and films where they are trying too hard. Like ghost busters.

I don't dislike the remake because it was all girls. I dislike the remake because it wasn't funny.

Yeah, I'm not rehashing my TLJ opinion but I'll go on a limb and say the letters "SJW" are never used in that context.  

I think it's... interesting you took my comments as some kind of 'anti woman' statement.  I've always been very 'pro strong female character' as long as I've discussed movies and usually strongly criticize shallowly written women.  I still want them to be like people, and not people who outperform everyone with no effort and no experience.   Fights better than Finn.  Out-flies Han.  Out Jedi's luke.  All while being perfectly morally virtuous and wise.   All because... she was an orphan who learned how to be awesome all by herself.  I guess.  It's not interesting.  She feels like the self insert of a fan fiction writer.

I didn't watch ghostbusters.  The trailer looked like Apatow style gag humor with lolsorandom scenes.  I'm not into that kind of humor.  Plus Ghostbusters is in my top 5 comedies of all time.  It was guaranteed to suck for me.  Expect equal annoyance when/if they remake Rocky.
(02-17-2019, 06:32 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 05:38 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: I don't really get the whole backlash against the "SJW" agenda in films. If a film is good or at the very least entertaining I don't care about the lead or who was cast. I like Rey and for the most part I liked TLJ.

Yeah, I'm not rehashing my TLJ opinion but I'll go on a limb and say the letters "SJW" are never used in that context.  

I think it's... interesting you took my comments as some kind of 'anti woman' statement.

Sorry .I actually didnt mean for it to come off that way. I think i poorly jump topics to a different grip. I just recently reading an article about this and they were practically foaming at the mouth for this to fail so they could point and say "see! Stop trying to force women superheros"

I know your opinions on TLJ. And I know it's not based on that.
(02-17-2019, 06:47 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 06:32 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:

I think it's... interesting you took my comments as some kind of 'anti woman' statement.

Sorry .I actually didnt mean for it to come off that way. I think i poorly jump topics to a different grip. I just recently reading an article about this and they were practically foaming at the mouth for this to fail so they could point and say "see! Stop trying to force women superheros"

I know your opinions on TLJ. And I know it's not based on that.

Yeah, well.  Far be it from me to say there's no angry misogynist dorks on the internet venting their no pussy getting rage at the world.  Obviously there are, and especially on the internet.  I'm not sure what you were reading, but most of the time it's just a strawman the media uses to lie about criticism.   Cherry pick a few quotes, mischaracterize what someone is saying, ect.  It's routine at this point.  Never trust what anyone says about what another person says.

The anti-SJW's are just right wing SJW's in reality. Those assholes came after season 2 of the punisher because the conservative christian politician and female side-kick.  Didn't sway me.  I thought it was a great season.

My concern for this movie is that, well... They ALWAYS try to hype up Danvers and it never works.  They couldn't get her over as a popular character in the comics at all and they've TRIED for over a decade now.   She's still most popular for being the person from whom Rogue stole her powers.  It's a lot of eggs in one basket if she's going to one punch Thanos to death.  Which I think she probably will.
(02-17-2019, 01:55 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 12:13 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 09:15 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: So I'm not very optimistic about Captain Marvel being a huge hit.  Marvel has tried to make her the flagship character in the comics since they sold the X-men to fox and Spiderman to Sony.  She's had 8 books canceled and has been a huge flop, but they push her as a top tier character anyway to the detriment of sales.  

I'm thinking... what happens if they do that in this movie?  I mean aside from Larson's perpetual resting bitch face and awful personality harming the PR, I just don't see a lot of hype from the fans.  Just media hype telling us how hyped the fans are.  I don't see much discussion in HERE about it.

If this movie fails or the character is not well recieved, it's going to do immense damage to Avengers 4.  Not sales wise, that money is basically already in the bank. I mean in regards to how it will be recieved after she 1 punches thanos, saves everyone, and undermines every other established character.  Something I, for some reason, expect to happen.  How will follow up movies be recieved?

You don't like Brie Larson?  I think she's great.

As an actress she's fine.  

I find her inauthentic both on and off screen.  My main point was about the promotional campaign that's probably doing more harm than good.

I really like her and have for some time.

Marvel is advertising the shit out of this movie in a way I don't think we've seen before.  They're nervous.
(02-17-2019, 09:33 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 01:55 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 12:13 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 09:15 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: So I'm not very optimistic about Captain Marvel being a huge hit.  Marvel has tried to make her the flagship character in the comics since they sold the X-men to fox and Spiderman to Sony.  She's had 8 books canceled and has been a huge flop, but they push her as a top tier character anyway to the detriment of sales.  

I'm thinking... what happens if they do that in this movie?  I mean aside from Larson's perpetual resting bitch face and awful personality harming the PR, I just don't see a lot of hype from the fans.  Just media hype telling us how hyped the fans are.  I don't see much discussion in HERE about it.

If this movie fails or the character is not well recieved, it's going to do immense damage to Avengers 4.  Not sales wise, that money is basically already in the bank. I mean in regards to how it will be recieved after she 1 punches thanos, saves everyone, and undermines every other established character.  Something I, for some reason, expect to happen.  How will follow up movies be recieved?

You don't like Brie Larson?  I think she's great.

As an actress she's fine.  

I find her inauthentic both on and off screen.  My main point was about the promotional campaign that's probably doing more harm than good.

I really like her and have for some time.

Marvel is advertising the shit out of this movie in a way I don't think we've seen before.  They're nervous.
Marvel desperately wants her to be their Wonder woman.  

They've failed to accomplish that on the pages, but they have a chance in the MCU.  It's not like Iron Man was that big of a deal until RDJ charmed the movie audiences.  The thing is that her popularity is really going to matter when she one punches Thanos to death at the end of Avengers 4.  Big Grin The fans NEED to have already accepted her for them to accept that.
Early reactions from the press screening on Twitter has been positive.

https://www.cnet.com/news/captain-marvel...n-twitter/
(02-20-2019, 10:38 AM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: Early reactions from the press screening on Twitter has been positive.

Solid.

I would think the potential '90s soundtrack alone would do a lot to win over audiences.
(02-20-2019, 10:38 AM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: Early reactions from the press screening on Twitter has been positive.

This won't affect my skepticism one way or the other.

I don't trust films reviewers anymore, and I'm pretty much convinced Disney pays them for positive buzz.

I EXPECT the press to tell you it's amazing.  I was told that Black Panther was some kind of super movie, but it was an above average marvel flick that followed the tried and true formula they use in most of their movies.  I don't think I need to go on a diatribe to explain why I think members of the media were outright AFRAID to give it a bad review.