Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first experience with SKC.

Yeah, I'd say this highly-trafficked wing of the board is about as good a place as any to post this.:biggrin:

I've been a fan of the NFL for a long time. Not as long as HG and Milkman, but sweet God; those two probably watched Moses throw on a helmet before descending down the mountain with a couple of tablets tucked under his arm. But I digress...

No, I started with Mean Joe Green, Tony Dorsett, Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach. I lived in Oklahoma at the time and wasn't aware that KC even had a football team. (They were THAT GOOD, EVEN THEN!) There was however one goofy Italian family that liked the Dolphins, but we won't talk about them. Their mother was prone to yell at tornadoes for reasons I can't begin to explain.
Then not long after came Sweetness and the Bears. WP made me want to play because he was such as badass. This was back in the days when premium RB's made their bones by busting the shit out of D-lines and knocking linebackers on their asses. Safeties and Corners( especially corners )we're just a blurry afterthought on the way to the end zone for guys like Walter.
Football practices, even at the JR High level, were brutal in those days. My boss's son started playing LB at his HS this year, and they did a whole 2 DAYS of two-a-days! Disneyland. But enough of my old man bitching.

The point is: it was a different time and a different game. Mentally, physically, economically, spiritually, whatever.

Though we didn't win anything major and in-fact got crushed by coaching dipshittery on our part, and John Elway on theirs, I feel fortunate to have been a Chiefs fan during the last great heyday of defensive-oriented football when a defense was actually allowed to play like one. When Harrison threatened retirement a few years back for being "too aggressive" in the eyes of the league I, like most others, thought he was just being an overreacting spoiled brat. Now, I say put a funny French hat on his ass and call him Nostradamus.
Fantasy football, pink-tittie month, and the economics of the ratings-driven NFL have turned this game in to something that could( as has )make an old, grizzled fucker like Mike Ditka cry.
Damn.

As to the Chiefs, there's really no need to rehash. They invented so much yet have refused to change with the times and philosophies/requirements of the modern league and in my eyes, are stuck in a cycle whereby they are always about 10 years behind. It would be nice to see them get their shit together but in the interim, I call KC my hometown and I'm fed-up with them being my "sports representative", so to speak. The Royals seem to be doing well and have been steadily progressing over the last few years, but I'm not much of a baseball guy unless I'm actually at the park. Watching that same, tired TV angle from mound to catcher is about as exciting to me as watching flies fuck, even if Bo Jackson is doing the fucking. That game doesn't translate to television the way it does live. Plus, there's a certain serenity a live ballpark possesses that a television just can't give you.

To the point at hand:

I, like most red-blooded American males, have never given much thought to Soccer other than to ridicule it as some Euro-Pansy, pint-swilling distraction, right about on-par with tennis, that only a Frenchman could love or succeed at. When I think of soccer, I generally envision third-world nationals throwing Molotov-cocktails at each other in the stands, or a couple Swedes eating Ludafisk in a bar, too afraid to tell the rowdy Scotsmen down at the other end to shut the fuck up while they cheer on the first goal by whichever of the 50 teams they've managed to cram between Wales and Edinburgh.
So to say I had contempt prior to investigation is somewhat of an understatement.

What I didn't count on, was that the culture of game could be given the Kansas City osmosis-treatment.

Time for bed. Pt. II tomorrow.

[Image: SKCSIG_zps76ce2521.jpg]

I've been a soccer fan for a few years now. Went to Liverpool in March and watched a game. SKC is a well run organization and if i was an mls fan I'd probably pick SKC to root for.

Quick re-visit:

Quote:As to the Chiefs, there's really no need to rehash. They invented so much yet have refused to change with the times and philosophies/requirements of the modern league and in my eyes, are stuck in a cycle whereby they are always about 10 years behind.

If the rumors regarding Smith are true, do I really need to say more on the subject at this point? There's no defending the indefensible. Moving on.

Pt. II: The KC Connection.

If I'm going to go to a game, it has to be a KC "thing". Kansas City may not have invented tail gating, but we damned sure perfected it. I'm pleased to say that Sporting embraces this aspect of KC fan culture whole heartedly. I don't know if they let you camp out for eleventy billion hours in the lot before the match, but you can set up and grill. Even though the franchise has been a straight-up win machine for years now, the cost of a match is around or less than Arrowhead parking.
Oh, and parking is free.

That's outside. What's happening inside? This is where it gets interesting. At each end of the field, you have two support units; South Stand and The Cauldron. South Stand is the family-friendly support area( they are actually both pretty family-friendly to be honest, or at least from what I have seen ), and The Cauldron is the bat shit-crazy zone. What's unique about The Cauldron, is that it is made up of several individual supporter clubs with unique personalities and philosophies.

Here's a link to The Cauldron:

http://www.kccauldron.com/about-kc-cauld...uldron.cfm

Here's a link to the supporter clubs:

http://www.kccauldron.com/supporters-groups/
( I'm rather partial to the Fountain City Ultras for their punk rock background, and because their name sounds like a gang from "The Warriors". WIN.)
I think it's pretty boss that they all have patches and logos and shit.

Let's talk about the game experience.

Okay, so this is the first time I ever even sat and watched a match. I was watching from a laggy-assed intrawebz feed( though not as laggy as you would get when trying to watch the Chiefs play from the same free provider), but it was clear enough that I could follow the action.
(Background:
I learned to appreciate constant-play gaming by watching basketball. I'm not a huge BB fan, but I can at least follow and appreciate the game for what it is now)

The match, to me, felt very similar to watching a basketball game, but on a larger scale and out in the elements. Toward the end of the match it was piss-pounding rain and you could clearly see the elements influencing the play just as you would an NFL passing game in similar situations. Granted, these guys don't play in snow and ice, but hot as hell and spring/fall storms are definitely their own special challenges.
MAN-THINGS:
Rivalry! SKC was playing their rival Houston. For a sport that is supposed to be "no contact", SKC are some chippy motherfuckers when shit gets real. The cards(flags) and body parts we're flying just like a classic KC/OAK game. Tempers were up, dudes were being separated forcibly at times, and SKC sent at least one poor Texas piece of shit to the bench.
Me rikey.....:biggrin:
You don't get the "big hits" of the NFL( I put a parenthetical disclaimer on that phrase due to the fact that big hits will soon be punishable by death in the No Fun League ), but what you DO get is the excitement of the goal. When SKC finally knocks one in, usually in dramatic fashion, you feel like you worked for that shit right alongside them because you've spent a lot of time following the action to get there. My boy Dwyer made the first and only score of the game for SKC, more on that later.
The fans were vocal and loyal all the way to the end. The center sections didn't have that many people in them for this match, but I chalk that up to weather. SKC lost this one and suffered back to back losses for the first time since 2011. Even though it was a loss, you've got to respect a club with a record like that. I could be wrong, but I believe they are transitioning in to the next wave of players/pieces to carry them forward after such an impressive run in the last few years.

Other Niceties:

Winning culture. SKC players, fans and ownership fucking HATE and do not tolerate losing or losers.
No commercials every 3 to 5 minutes.
No mention of Papa John, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady whatsoever.
Sporting Park is an AMAZING facility. Can't wait to check it out.
It's fun to be a "dumb" fan again, just watching the game at a basic level and enjoying it.

There are guys on the SKC forums who can explain and dissect shit to the n'th degree like Milkman and others do football, but right now it's great to not have an opinion and just enjoy things and hope for wins.
The players themselves don't strike me as "Euro-douches", most of them seem very westernized and aggressive, especially my new favorite, Dwyer. Dwyer is a chippy little shit with a mohawk and a mean streak. Totally in dudes faces, total ball-hawk.

I can imagine that when playoff time hits Sporting Park, the overall level of insanity ramps up. I look forward to seeing this.

DallasChief, post: 170239, member: 2 Wrote:I've been a soccer fan for a few years now. Went to Liverpool in March and watched a game. SKC is a well run organization and if i was an mls fan I'd probably pick SKC to root for.
Dallas FC seems to pretty well run as well. I think Sporting KC is the best run organization in the MLS though, so I really couldn't blame you either way.
RaisedOnRiots, post: 170262, member: 1194 Wrote:( I'm rather partial to the Fountain City Ultras for their punk rock background, and because their name sounds like a gang from "The Warriors". WIN.)
:jester:

But yeah, RoR, that little soccer stadium can get pretty hopping. I really need to see a game in person sometime. The problem is I live an hour and a half northeast of KC, so it's hard to find time to go.

asskickingboots, post: 170268, member: 71 Wrote:Dallas FC seems to pretty well run as well. I think Sporting KC is the best run organization in the MLS though, so I really couldn't blame you either way.

:jester:

But yeah, RoR, that little soccer stadium can get pretty hopping. I really need to see a game in person sometime. The problem is I live an hour and a half northeast of KC, so it's hard to find time to go.
I'd say they are currently neck and neck with Real Salt Lake. Real appears to be a pretty well run team too. (Albeit a newer team)

[Image: MHT-banner-3-v3.jpg]

You know who owns Dallas, right? I hope we kick their asses every match from here to eternity.