Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2022 Offseason Thread

Sounds like the Chiefs are tagging Orlando Brown, Jr.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/7/...o-brown-jr

This is the right move. They invested too much in him in terms of draft capital to just let him walk after 1 or even 2 years. Hopefully they come to a long term agreement.

However, this sends ripples through the rest of free agency. It sounds like Mathieu is hitting free agency. It could also mean Ward will hit the open market.

Personally, I'd rather see us spend money on the front 4 than the defensive backfield. I'd rather see draft picks and reclamation projects in the defensive backfield. I feel like we need more immediate impact up front and this can improve results at every level of the defense. Spags has always been far more successful when he has a great pass rush.

Two big ticket items.

First, the Chiefs have restructured Frank Clark's contract

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/...-reworked/

Probably drops his cap number to around $13M-$14M from $26.3M. One person compared it to paying Clark an extra $1.2M to not cut him, which I'm fine with. I just want more production and consistency from him.

Also, the Chiefs have signed S Justin Reid to a deal for 3-years, $31.5M with $20M guaranteed.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/...id-signed/

Reid is a solid safety. That's a big contract, but likely far less than Mathieu will get.

One minor move also, Chiefs are re-signing FB Michael Burton

The Chiefs got 2 comp picks, a 3rd and a 7th. Here's the full list of draft picks for the Chiefs:

Round 1 — No. 30

Round 2 — No. 62

Round 3 — No. 94

Round 3 — No. 103 (compensatory)

Round 4 — No. 135

Round 7 — No. 233 (from Minnesota in the trade for Mike Hughes)

Round 7 — No. 243 (from New England in the trade parting with Yasir Durant)

Round 7 — No. 251

Round 7 — No. 259 (compensatory)

This is a tertiary positive benefit of having such a good organization. The third was for the Bears hiring Ryan Poles since he's a minority. It sucks that teams snipe your talent, even in the front office, but better to get some real compensation for it when they do.

Also, the Chiefs tendered ERFA TE Jody Fortson.

Chiefs re-sign QB Chad Henne, OL Andrew Wylie, and RB Derrick Gore.

I actually really like Wylie as a backup. He can fill multiple positions and is a decent spot starter. $2.5M is a little high for a backup, but not necessarily one that has a good chunk of starter experience.

Henne, I feel like we could have easily improved over him. I don't hate it, but I'm not a fan of paying $2M on a veteran backup unless he is really helping the development of my young starter. I'm not sure he offers much there.

Gore was an ERFA, so tendering him was a no brainer, especially with Darrel Williams likely going elsewhere. There were times he looked like the best pure runner on the team.

(03-17-2022, 07:29 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Chiefs re-sign QB Chad Henne, OL Andrew Wylie, and RB Derrick Gore.

I actually really like Wylie as a backup. He can fill multiple positions and is a decent spot starter. $2.5M is a little high for a backup, but not necessarily one that has a good chunk of starter experience.

Henne, I feel like we could have easily improved over him. I don't hate it, but I'm not a fan of paying $2M on a veteran backup unless he is really helping the development of my young starter. I'm not sure he offers much there.

Gore was an ERFA, so tendering him was a no brainer, especially with Darrel Williams likely going elsewhere. There were times he looked like the best pure runner on the team.
I have the same feelings on Henne... so many ways to improve on that position.  Maybe it can be voided after camp.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

Chiefs to sign JuJu Smith-Schuster

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/...er-signed/

Finally some movement in free agency, a big name with a lot of potential on a 1 year, $10.75M deal.

Chiefs to sign OT Geron Christian

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/...an-signed/

He's got some starter experience at both tackle spots, so we're likely looking at our new swing tackle.

Chiefs re-structured LG Joe Thuney to save $9.6M on the cap this season.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/22...y-contract

Also, they made some other small moves.

S Deon Bush was a safety and special teamer for the Bears. Could likely be our new 3rd safety.

WR Corey Coleman is a low-risk, high reward signing. Former 1st rounder that dominated at Baylor, but hasn't shown anything in the NFL. Seems like a standard Veach reclamation project. Best season was 413 yards

ElLB ijah Lee is a KC kid that went to K-State and is supposedly a solid special teamer.

CB Luq Barcoo who is the clubhouse leader in my coveted "My Ridiculous Name of the Offseason" Award. I have no idea, but a commenter somewhere else online said, "This dude was a really popular late round sleeper pick in 2020. Has all the tools. Productive in college. 6'1" with 32" arms ran a 4.41 40 and jumped out of the gym (41" Vert and 11'3" Broad). Main knock was that he only weighed in at 175 lbs and was really gangly/light"

So, now Hill has been given the green light to seek trade offers. This offense isn't the same without Hill. I'm sure the trade offers would have to be incredible. We got a bargain signing Hill last time and I think he wants to make up for it now.

I have heard the Jets are interested with their 1st round #10 pick plus more.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
30m
Chiefs are trading six-time Pro-Bowl WR Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins for five draft picks: a 2022 1st-round pick (No. 29), a 2nd-round pick (No. 50) and a 4th-round pick, as well as 4th- and 6th-round picks in the 2023 draft, sources tell ESPN.