Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs @ Ravens - 2021 Week 2 SNF

Lack of Competition?
One week down and it already looks like the AFC seas are parting for the Chiefs. Many of their biggest competitors for playoff seeding decided they could spot the Chiefs a game right off the bat, including the upcoming Ravens. I don't think most people consider most of the winning teams in the AFC legitimate threats whether it's the Steelers, Dolphins, or Bengals.

I would argue the most likely scenario is the Chiefs already beat their toughest competition. The Browns built their roster with beating the Chiefs in mind. They have talent across the board. They played their A game for 3 quarters. It just wasn't enough, and unless the rest of the conference shapes up they might be the biggest threat in the playoffs too.

About the only people not complying is the rest of the AFC West who decided to go 3-0. However, the Chiefs will have plenty of opportunity to rectify that. The only real impressive win was the Raiders against the Ravens, but I couldn't help but think it outright looked like the Ravens folded under pressure, but more on that in a bit.

We're Going Streaking!
Some of the strangest, most dominant streaks have an opportunity to be continued.

Mahomes' ridiculous dominance of the league in September continues. He just flat out hasn't made mistakes (0 picks in September) and has been killing teams in the process to an unbeaten record in the month. I'd look up the exact stats, but I'm feeling hella lazy and you all have probably already seen them at least heading into last week's game.

Another noteworthy streak is Lamar vs. Mahomes being ALL Mahomes so far. It's important and not just coincidence or circumstance. Lamar has been a fantastic regular season QB that has flatlined in the postseason. These Chiefs - Ravens games have felt like playoff games and I'm certain that pressure and expectations are part of the problem.

Rushing Into Trouble
The Chiefs gave up 5.9 ypc to the Browns!?!? That means the Ravens will put up 3,000 yards on the ground! Oh noes!

Regardless of how you cut it, the Browns were a top 5 rushing team in almost every category last season and the fact that the Chiefs held them to just over 150 despite spotting Cleveland the lead says something. As the game came to a pivotal point the defense was able to clamp down.

The Ravens were also a dominant run team, first in many categories, but that's what happens when you have a generational talent of a running QB. If the Ravens are going to beat us it will take more than just a solid rushing performance.

Martyball doesn't beat elite teams consistently. A world class rushing performance is meaningless if you can't put the other team away. The Ravens let the Raiders cling on like a desperate dingleberry and before you know it the momentum took a wild turn. The Ravens can't plan on winning against the Chiefs with less than 250 passing yards unless they crush us with a ton of turnovers (See also: September Patrick Mahomes, 0 INTs).

Let's not forget the Chiefs will be getting back at least 2 of their defensive leaders in Clark and Mathieu which should help, especially against the threat of Lamar running.

Summary
This is, despite an ugly week 1 for them, still one of the elite AFC teams. If the Chiefs want to continue to be the class of the AFC they have to be able to put down good teams even when they have great performances, just like last week.

The Ravens A game can absolutely beat the Chiefs. It's up to the Chiefs to either bring their own A game, or stop the Ravens from having one of theirs.

Lamar has talked about it in interviews a little bit, I think. The Chiefs games get in his head.

(09-15-2021, 10:54 AM)NOLA Wrote:  Lamar has talked about it in interviews a little bit, I think.  The Chiefs games get in his head.

Yep, part of why I mentioned that, I remember him saying as much.

Unrelated, I forgot to mention how banged up the Ravens are. This is part of why even though I think they are an elite AFC team, they might not be a real threat over playoff considerations as things stand. I believe they have 13 players on IR right now? Some of these players may return later, but others like Dobbins and Peters clearly are not.

Besides injuries they played a bizarre and physical OT game on MNF. They gotta be a little tired right now.

Wonder how bell feels that he's gotten passed over for a call up for the likes of Murray who played week 1 after being on the team for 4 days and now freeman who I believe was signed after bell.

Losing Peters has hurt the Ravens more than the RBs. There are a lot of serviceable running backs for systems like the Ravens. They have already added RB depth to their roster and I don't see them changing their game plan.

The Ravens O-Line in pass defense looked horrible. If Mahomes starts off quickly (he normally does following a game that he started off slowly) the Ravens will have to go more pass heavy and Lamar just hasn't shown that he can rely heavily on his passing game consistently.

I'm hoping that our defense plays better a complete game. We shall see.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

(09-16-2021, 10:46 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Wonder how bell feels that he's gotten passed over for a call up for the likes of Murray who played week 1 after being on the team for 4 days and now freeman who I believe was signed after bell.

Honestly, I think Murray is better than your typical call up, but your point stands. Bell's ass is chapped, no doubt. No way he would have signed if he knew he'd be maybe the 4th RB after Williams, Murray, and Freeman.

(09-16-2021, 12:05 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(09-16-2021, 10:46 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Wonder how bell feels that he's gotten passed over for a call up for the likes of Murray who played week 1 after being on the team for 4 days and now freeman who I believe was signed after bell.

Honestly, I think Murray is better than your typical call up, but your point stands. Bell's ass is chapped, no doubt. No way he would have signed if he knew he'd be maybe the 4th RB after Williams, Murray, and Freeman.

Agreed.  It's really funny.

(09-16-2021, 05:30 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(09-16-2021, 12:05 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

Agreed.  It's really funny.
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

Well that sucked. Are we done with the run first teams yet? Because our run defense is shit.

Also, mahomes is tearing through the ravens secondary but we run right up the middle... dumb play call that led to the fumble.

(09-19-2021, 10:29 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Well that sucked. Are we done with the run first teams yet? Because our run defense is shit.

Also, mahomes is tearing through the ravens secondary but we run right up the middle... dumb play call that led to the fumble.

Not only a run up the middle, but with a bunch of window dressing. Either line up and beat the other team or keep going with high percentage passes. We got too cute.

I'm not that worried big picture, no need to overreact. Yeah, this could have playoff seeding implications down the road, but that's if the Ravens can make it that far with all of their injuries.

We need to remember that while we aren't as entrenched we are what the Pats were, the Ravens winning this game is their own mini Super Bowl. They'll probably go lose to Detroit next week. Meanwhile, we just need to go on to Cincin.... the Chargers. We're on to the Chargers.