Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs vs. Browns - 2021 Week 1, Home Opener Afternoon Delight

I've been so preoccupied I kind of forgot, we're rapidly approaching football season. Arrowhead will truly be open for business for a Sunday afternoon bash between the Chiefs and the Browns.

It's Happening
The Chiefs being really damn good helped make everything a little easier through the bizarro world lockdowns and limited crowds of last year, but this is all going to feel super real when we have a packed stadium of extra drunk people that started tailgating at 8am for a game that starts at 3:25pm.

I've had to hear an awful lot since before the clock even hit zeroes on that playoff game about how the Browns almost could beat us if you replaced the best player in the NFL with Chad Henne and take away the entirety of our offensive line, but even then it's not like the Browns had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. Still, this is a talented Browns roster that needs to be taken seriously.

Still, I can't wait to meet some of my old tailgating buddies and the season ticket holders that are around me for the first time in ages.

Stat Nerds
I'm hearing a lot of the stat nerds say the Chiefs are due for a regression because they won too many close games last year.

I talked about this at length towards the end of last year, but the Chiefs held at least a two score lead in the 4th quarter in 12 of their 16 wins including playoffs. The games were seldom as close as the final score indicated, so if it's just about stats they're probably just as likely to have more blowout wins than losses of any kind.

If it's about reality instead of numbers, Andy Reid's coaching style says to leave some ammo in the chamber for next week. I'm not saying that's all good, I'd rather step on some throats, but it's not like we're walking ass first into miracle wins directed by God through His conduit in Tim Tebow.

Clyde to Glory
It's hard to remember that early in the year last year CEH was actually tearing it up. He had some off games, but he had 130+ scrimmage yards in 3 of his first 6 games. Then he started to struggle with injuries and the same offensive line issues in front of Mahomes. Even so, due to the scheme of the Bucs he was averaging over 7 yards a carry in the SB.

CEH is due for a bounceback, and that's before you consider he didn't really have a full offseason program to be involved in the passing game. He was a fantastic receiving back in college, so his whole game is going to open up.

New Look O-Line
The offensive line revamp has been talked about... a... lot this offseason, and with good reason. The Chiefs went from a couple guys that started the year as backups and practice squad fodder starting in the SB to a young, tenacious offensive line in just a matter of a couple months.

I've said it before, I think if you include Remmers playing out of position, there are about 8 or 9 guys that would have been the best starter if they were on that OL that day. Brown Jr., Thuney, Humphrey, Smith, Niang, Remmers, LDTMD, Long, and Blythe are all not just improvements on the front end, but depth as well. We will not see what happened in the SB happen that way again.

Not only are the key cogs improved from what was there at the end of the season, but they're young. The o-line that starts this week could be our starters when healthy for the next 4 years if everything works out. Thuney is 28 with a 5 year contract. Niang, Humphrey, and Smith are all 23 or 22 with 4 years on their contract. Brown Jr. is just 25 years old and I'm sure he'll get his contract next offseason.

This line could be every bit as associated with this team as anyone not name Patrick Lavon Mahomes II by the end of that 4 years.

Summary
The schedule makers front loaded some real challenges for the Chiefs to start the season. If they can again pass the tests that the Browns, Ravens, and Chargers pose there will be a lot of disillusioned AFC fans realizing their teams are likely just also-rans.

But most of all, just be happy football is back! Go Chiefs!

Two things I didn't really have anywhere else to put.

First, the Chiefs are calling their 4 TE sets with Kelce, Bell, Gray, and Fortson the T-Rex set. Like it. Get it on, bang a gong.

Second, on a personal note I just want to say I love my wife. I got married December of last year. I don't think I've talked about it much here.

Mrs. AKB decided to go all out for my birthday. She got us tickets to go to Vegas for a weekend, stay at a nice Airbnb, then watch the Chiefs play the Raiders in the Evil Roomba stadium. I have a feeling it's going to be a very 50/50 or 60/40 crowd one way or the other too. And I also at least hope I'm less likely to get stabbed than I would have been in Oakland.

I've never been to Vegas. I've never been to an opposing NFL stadium. I've never even stayed at an Airbnb. Should be a lot of fun, and I just wanted to brag on her for a bit.

Yeah I'm not buying the major regression either. As you said, many of the close games really weren't.

Not sure I'm buying a huge year from ceh though. I think he's going to lose out on most 3rd downs to the backups. I'm not a big fan on Williams but the coaching staff like him and McKinnon is dangerous as a receiving threat.

Finally, have fun in Vegas. But remember Raider fans are dangerous wherever they are.

Thanks for the thread! Congrats on your marriage and I need to look at tickets there as well! I love the "off strip" Vegas and seeing that stadium would be nice!

I'm looking to see the running game change games this year. Having our O line be a strength versus a weakness is something that we haven't had for a long time.

I think the "close game" is garbage too. This isn't college, a win is a win. If you are getting late game heroics or lucky wins that is one thing. When a team closes the deficit because the other team has taken their foot of the gas, that isn't a close win. Those are pity points in garbage time.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

(09-08-2021, 09:42 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Yeah I'm not buying the major regression either. As you said, many of the close games really weren't.

Not sure I'm buying a huge year from ceh though. I think he's going to lose out on most 3rd downs to the backups. I'm not a big fan on Williams but the coaching staff like him and McKinnon is dangerous as a receiving threat.

Finally, have fun in Vegas. But remember Raider fans are dangerous wherever they are.

If you're talking from a fantasy standpoint, you're probably right. Williams will vulture his tuddies and they like Jet as a 3rd down back. I'm more worried about CEH from an effective standpoint and forcing a level of offensive balance that requires defenses to respect the run game.

And gracias. As I understand it the ticket prices were outrageous, which will probably keep it a clean, touristy, shiny, evil roomba.

(09-09-2021, 10:03 AM)mabbott Wrote:  Thanks for the thread! Congrats on your marriage and I need to look at tickets there as well!  I love the "off strip" Vegas and seeing that stadium would be nice!

I'm looking to see the running game change games this year. Having our O line be a strength versus a weakness is something that we haven't had for a long time.

I think the "close game" is garbage too.  This isn't college, a win is a win.  If you are getting late game heroics or lucky wins that is one thing.  When a team closes the deficit because the other team has taken their foot of the gas, that isn't a close win.  Those are pity points in garbage time.

You're welcome and thanks for the reminder to get off my butt. Let me know if you do decide to go. We wouldn't have jack all to tailgate with, but we could still meet up.

And yes, that was my point on CEH. Our offensive line the first several weeks was still pretty decent and that's when CEH did his best. I think this line is noticeably better and far deeper than what was available last year. I'm still expecting him to be inconsistent, but I'm expecting him to be more effective like he was early.

Final Injury Report

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/ka...ry-report/

Both Derrick Nnadi and Frank Clark might be on a pitch count if they do play.

We still don't know if Honey Badger will be activated in time.

The Browns might be missing a few players including their kicker, but expect Clowney and OBJ to play.

Well, it's FINALLY time! Let's go Chiefs!

The Landlord is out, along with Frank Clark. OBJ is out for the Browns. The Browns are a good team, but they won't be good enough today!
Chiefs 33 Browns 27

Born and bred Kansas City Chiefs Red
When I'm old, I'll be Kansas City Chiefs Gold
When I'm dead and gone, I'll be buried face down, so the Raiders and Broncos can still kiss my ass!

WOW! That was a close game. I'm glad the defense decided to step up in the 2nd half and to close out the game. The O-line has a lot of work to do.
1-0, on to the Ravens.

Born and bred Kansas City Chiefs Red
When I'm old, I'll be Kansas City Chiefs Gold
When I'm dead and gone, I'll be buried face down, so the Raiders and Broncos can still kiss my ass!

About what I expected. Close game and the Browns folding late. Didn't expect to be outplayed so thoroughly in the first half but hopefully tyrann being out was the biggest issue on defense. Jones looked good on the edge.

The offensive line looked better than the super bowl line but they definitely have to jell. Brown got beat quite a bit but he was also going against a great player.