Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2021 Training Camp Thread

(07-30-2021, 09:52 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I think it will be a good thing. With Reed inside and the quality depth we have inside, getting jones on the edge around 10 plays a game makes the unit stronger.

That's a good point.

Now that I think about it, moving around guys like DT or Hali in the past has been a generally good move. This is doing that in reverse and in a different scheme, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

(08-02-2021, 04:40 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Now that I think about it, moving around guys like DT or Hali in the past has been a generally good move. This is doing that in reverse and in a different scheme, but I'm willing to give it a chance.
Hali was different he was asked to do something that he had never done before.  Jones was supposed to be an edge rusher but when he was drafted we already were stacked on the outside.  I feel that since we have good depth at DT, moving Jones to DE would be solid.  You won't be able to double team, Jones and Clark or Jones and Reed, it opens things up for the other linemen to perform better.

But, this is in theory as I believe that they only used Jones for 1 game at DE a couple years ago.  We shall see how it works out.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

I'm looking forward to seeing the offense with multiple options at TE... it would be nice to be able to have a second TE that wasn't an afterthought.

Bell is good as depth but I would rather see Noah Gray get more snaps as he seems to have more potential and much better hands!

(08-03-2021, 11:01 AM)mabbott Wrote:  
(08-02-2021, 04:40 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Now that I think about it, moving around guys like DT or Hali in the past has been a generally good move. This is doing that in reverse and in a different scheme, but I'm willing to give it a chance.
Hali was different he was asked to do something that he had never done before.  Jones was supposed to be an edge rusher but when he was drafted we already were stacked on the outside.  I feel that since we have good depth at DT, moving Jones to DE would be solid.  You won't be able to double team, Jones and Clark or Jones and Reed, it opens things up for the other linemen to perform better.

But, this is in theory as I believe that they only used Jones for 1 game at DE a couple years ago.  We shall see how it works out.

Jones has always been seen as scheme versatile from a 1 gap / 2 gap perspective, but I don't know that he was ever seriously considered as an EDGE prospect heading into the draft. He was supposed to maybe play 3-4 DE in a Bob Sutton scheme, but never a 4-3 DE EDGE rusher.

We'll see how it works though, and honestly if he can be an impact player from multiple spots that would be excellent.

(08-03-2021, 11:03 AM)mabbott Wrote:  I'm looking forward to seeing the offense with multiple options at TE... it would be nice to be able to have a second TE that wasn't an afterthought.

Bell is good as depth but I would rather see Noah Gray get more snaps as he seems to have more potential and much better hands!

I'm not certain Bell will make the cut. Jody Fortson has looked really good as a receiving TE since converting from WR. Bell would be a better blocker, certainly, and knows the system fairly well.

(08-03-2021, 11:20 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(08-03-2021, 11:03 AM)mabbott Wrote:  I'm looking forward to seeing the offense with multiple options at TE... it would be nice to be able to have a second TE that wasn't an afterthought.

I'm not certain Bell will make the cut. Jody Fortson has looked really good as a receiving TE since converting from WR. Bell would be a better blocker, certainly, and knows the system fairly well.
I would be fine with this as well!  A WR that converts to a TE can learn to block much faster than learning to catch better!

From the articles I've read and videos I've watched yesterday and today, I am totally stoked on Trey Smith! That kid has a mean streak and potentially looks like he might be the steal of this year's draft. Hopefully he'll turn out to be the Willie Roaf of right guards! Can't wait for this season to get underway!

Born and bred Kansas City Chiefs Red
When I'm old, I'll be Kansas City Chiefs Gold
When I'm dead and gone, I'll be buried face down, so the Raiders and Broncos can still kiss my ass!

(08-04-2021, 09:09 PM)Pacecar Wrote:  From the articles I've read and videos I've watched yesterday and today, I am totally stoked on Trey Smith! That kid has a mean streak and potentially looks like he might be the steal of this year's draft. Hopefully he'll turn out to be the Willie Roaf of right guards! Can't wait for this season to get underway!

Yeah, I thought about saying the same general thing yesterday. Every Chiefs news source I read, every direct quote from coaches and players I've seen, every little video snippet of Trey Smith in 1 on 1s he has impressed. This looks like a great draft class, and he might be the biggest immediate impact player.

So, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is out 4-6 weeks with a broken bone in his hand.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/10...ne-in-hand

Trey Smith's development is now more important than ever. It seemed to be his RG spot from moment one, but now we just gotta hope LDTMD and Kyle Long are healthy enough to be effective backups if necessary.

We have other OL injuries too, namely Remmers ATM. We could be forced to start 3 rookies on the line, though 2 looked likely to win their spots anyway. I'm fine with this, so long as we have depth back later when we need it or can snag Mitchell Schwartz off his couch.