Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2021 Offseason Thread

I suspect this will be a lonely place, but if you feel like talking salary cap/free agency/the draft with me, post stuff here.

I don't really have anything right now, but I did read something awhile back that veach said according to his cap people if the cap was 185 or higher that they felt like they were in good shape.

I'm also going to guess that Mathieu gets extended and mahomes gets a big chunk of his roster bonus converted to a signing bonus to spread the hit out over 5 years. Probably the same for Chris Jones.

Just converting Jones and mahomes bonuses into signing bonuses and spreading the hit out over 5 years could clear a whopping 32 million if they converted the whole amount for each. And only being down 17 mil right now makes me feel pretty confident we will be able to sign some guys in free agency.

I would say Clark could have some money moved around too but the team might want to leave open the possibility to move on from him after this coming season and any more money pushed into the last two years of his contract would basically lock him in to the team for the length of his contract.

I think tye is right, Veach has plans and the expected $182M to $183M salary cap is actually enough to give us a surprising amount of room. The fact that many other teams will also have the screws put to them actually helps the Chiefs.

More guys will get cut than usual across the league. More guys will have to settle for one year deals because teams don't have the cap for big deals.

So, if you're a free agent and you gotta settle for a prove it deal do you want to go to the Raiders who are over $2M above the cap and finished 6 games back of the division leader or go to the Chiefs who are a contender as long as Mahomes is healthy?

Sure, the Raiders will likely cut Carr and save $19.6M, but then they're still a .500 team without a QB, unless you think Marcus Mariota counts. The Chiefs will likely have a pretty good pick of the FA crop and there will be value FAs that wouldn't normally even be a FA at all. Almost exclusively bad teams will have money.

All the Chiefs gotta do is get value FAs to raise their floor and depth at several positions ahead of the draft, draft well, and maybe snag a big name player as a rent-a-player. We may lose out on a couple of our own players like Daniel Sorenson or Anthony Sherman, but I think this still helps us more and especially in terms of dragging a bunch of teams into cap hell for the near future as well.

Sherman is probably safe since he'll probably only get a vet minimum deal and we can pay him slightly more than that and hed only count as the min to our cap.

Sorensen is an interesting one. I dont think hed have a robust market but who knows, eric murray got paid lots and he sucked. Id think sorensen would have to take a cut to stay here but I'd like to have him back.

Super Bowl!

(02-25-2021, 03:45 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Sherman is probably safe since he'll probably only get a vet minimum deal and we can pay him slightly more than that and hed only count as the min to our cap.

Sorensen is an interesting one. I dont think hed have a robust market but who knows, eric murray got paid lots and he sucked. Id think sorensen would have to take a cut to stay here but I'd like to have him back.

I think Sorensen will attract some attention in free agency, unfortunately.  I def want him back.

As good a place as any.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/...d-stadium/

The Chiefs sold the naming rights to the field at Arrowhead Stadium. It's now GEHA field. GEHA is a non-profit insurance company for federal employees. I could make so many comments about how that part is wrong, but I don't mind selling the rights. It's still Arrowhead Stadium, that hasn't changed and that's still what people will call it.

And now Anthony Sherman has retired:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/4/...helicopter

I suspect Veach and Co. saw this coming and that's why they've shown interest in adding a 2nd tight end.

(03-04-2021, 05:29 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  As good a place as any.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/...d-stadium/

The Chiefs sold the naming rights to the field at Arrowhead Stadium. It's now GEHA field. GEHA is a non-profit insurance company for federal employees. I could make so many comments about how that part is wrong, but I don't mind selling the rights. It's still Arrowhead Stadium, that hasn't changed and that's still what people will call it.

Like how this is basically government sponsored, so taxpayers are paying for the naming rights to a field in a stadium that is already heavily taxpayer financed?

GEHA is a non-profit organization but not funded by taxpayers. They're funded by the premiums paid by government employees. I also think they have a couple of divisions that are not exclusive to federal employees.