Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs vs. Bills - AFC Championship Game

Heard an interesting tidbit on the Arrowhead Addict podcast (<--- suggest a listen). In the entire history of Next Gen Stats, which is since 2016, there's only been one game when a team had not blitzed once all game. That was the Bills against the Chiefs in week 6.

This really threw me. Going into the game and in general the Bills are a defense that blitzes. Their coaching DNA is from the same Jim Johnson Eagles that Spags comes from. Even with an entire game of not blitzing apparently they still blitzed more than we have on the season. Not that they're especially good at it. The Bills are tied for the 8th worst pressure rate (21.0%) despite blitzing the 8th highest percent (35.8%).

Because of this the Bills defense generally speaking is a modestly weaker version of the Chiefs D. Sure, Buffalo has allowed less yards and played better down the stretch, but they didn't play very good teams down the stretch and still gave up more points than the Chiefs. If you look at the Chiefs D it has actually played better as of late too.

The Chiefs are just better across the board. The better QB. The better TE. The better WR group if Watkins is healthy and maybe even if not. The better RB if CEH is healthy and maybe even if not. The better O-line. The better defense. I believe all that.

Whether the Bills try to play zone all game like the first time or try to blitz often, I think they lose. We've already seen their effort in the zone, but we also know that Mahomes destroys heavy blitzing teams.

Tbh, Matt Verderame in that podcast covers a lot of the topics and advanced stats I normally would, straight off of Pro Football Reference. I was listening to it while typing this and literally heard him bring up stats as I was looking them up.

Mahomes has cleared the NFL's concussion protocol. I myself have entered the "6 to Midnight" protocol.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/1/22...n-protocol

Mahomes has been diagnosed with turf toe. Will be evaluated for surgery after the season is over.

Ceh is likely to play. Watkins is not.

Fingers crossed this doesn't impact his play too much.

[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates

(01-24-2021, 11:04 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Mahomes has been diagnosed with turf toe. Will be evaluated for surgery after the season is over.

Ceh is likely to play. Watkins is not.

Last I checked, Watkins is game time decision, but I would agree with that he is unlikely to play.

I also think Bell might not play either since he has a knee problem.

I use my phone for the games so it's hard to post during. But I'm surprised to not see any posts here yet.

RUN IT BACK! One more game to fulfill the mission.

This game felt very similar to the Texans game last year. Dropped pass, fumbled punt. But then total domination.

It's crazy because i do really think the best 2 teams were in the afc championship.

And the chiefs DOMINATED. I'm beginning to the the narrative that they chiefs were bored during the second half of the season might be true.....

And where the f is DC?

Come on man. I know you want to say it.

(01-24-2021, 11:01 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  It's crazy because i do really think the best 2 teams were in the afc championship.

And the chiefs DOMINATED. I'm beginning to the the narrative that they chiefs were bored during the second half of the season might be true.....

Did anyone else even wonder if the Chiefs were gonna lose?  Cos I rolled into this game assuming they were gonna win, never thought they were in danger in losing, and then was very relaxed the entire time.  This team is unreal.  It's literally a surreal experience to watch them.

(01-24-2021, 11:03 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(01-24-2021, 11:01 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  It's crazy because i do really think the best 2 teams were in the afc championship.

Did anyone else even wonder if the Chiefs were gonna lose?  Cos I rolled into this game assuming they were gonna win, never thought they were in danger in losing, and then was very relaxed the entire time.  This team is unreal.  It's literally a surreal experience to watch them.

My wife was upstairs doing her own thing, she was shocked how quiet I was watching the game. At least until a friend called me in the 4th quarter as we were wrapping things up. I got pretty excited then, but otherwise I was even tempered and presumptive of victory.

Surreal is a very apt description.