Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Other NFL teams 2021 offseason thread

I get both sides of this trade.

The Rams had the best defense in the league by several metrics including points and yards. They allowed 4.6 yards per play. Only two other teams were below 5 (Washington and Pittsburgh both at 4.9ypp) and yet they never really had a chance in the playoffs because their offense wasn't good enough despite some decent skill position players.

The Rams feel like they have a SB window based on their defense, so they need an instant upgrade at QB. It's all in time.

Now Goff, when he was able to take advantage of Todd Gurley garnering defensive attention was a pretty solid system QB. Give him weapons and he can succeed. I would be perfectly willing to take a chance on him if I knew I was going to get him help in the form of some extra 1st round draft picks and Detroit already has some solid skill position players as well.

The Lions feel like they could build something and Goff is their bridge QB that could potentially grow back into a successful system QB.

Obviously I think the Rams gave up too much for Stafford, but the reasoning is sound and the success of the trade has nothing to do with what they gave up. It's all up to what they get out of Stafford. Does he make them a legitimate contender to lose to the Chiefs in near future Super Bowls?

Giving up a ton of draft picks was the only way to unload Goff's gigantic contract.

(02-01-2021, 08:46 AM)DallasChief Wrote:  Giving up a ton of draft picks was the only way to unload Goff's gigantic contract.

Yeah, I thought I mentioned that, but apparently not. Rams have gotten out of 3 bad contracts in recent years between Goff, Gurley, and... I forget the other guy, defensive player.

Gotta remember Dorsey is in charge of the Lions now and he's the same guy that took on Brock Osweiler's contract with the Browns only to never have him play a down. He won't be afraid to move on from Goff if he doesn't show improvement and it won't stop him from getting a different QB.

(02-01-2021, 09:08 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(02-01-2021, 08:46 AM)DallasChief Wrote:  Giving up a ton of draft picks was the only way to unload Goff's gigantic contract.

Yeah, I thought I mentioned that, but apparently not. Rams have gotten out of 3 bad contracts in recent years between Goff, Gurley, and... I forget the other guy, defensive player.

Gotta remember Dorsey is in charge of the Lions now and he's the same guy that took on Brock Osweiler's contract with the Browns only to never have him play a down. He won't be afraid to move on from Goff if he doesn't show improvement and it won't stop him from getting a different QB.

This is a reality tv level burn.

(02-01-2021, 09:16 AM)NOLA Wrote:  

This is a reality tv level burn.

Oh, I forgot they also got out of a 5 year $80M contract with Brandin Cooks. I not only know his name I spelt it correctly.

The fact that Dorsey is there just tells me that within a year, they will be up against the cap due to overpaying for players. Not that he doesn't have a history of doing that!

EDIT: Fixed where your quote box ended for you. -AKB

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

(02-01-2021, 12:21 PM)mabbott Wrote:  

The fact that Dorsey is there just tells me that within a year, they will be up against the cap due to overpaying for players. Not that he doesn't have a history of doing that!

Yeah. Not a great situation for Dorsey. Unlike the Browns when he joined them the Lions don't have $90M in cap space or whatever ridiculous number they had. The Lions are estimated at the 10th worst cap space which is already -$11M, though I'm pretty sure the league is going to do something to massage the cap because of Covid.

I don't know why Detroit felt they could or should take on Goff's terrible contract considering they're in the negative already. Goff accounts for over $27M on their cap and they still have a $19M dead cap from Stafford.

We all know what kind of cap hell we were in once Dorsey left. As for the Browns they have only +$19M now, largely his fault. That's still top half of the league, but again his starting point was ridiculous and he cut out their margin for error not just on stars, but middling players getting overpriced paydays.

I knew the Rams weren't great on the cap, but I just saw on Spotrac where because of Stafford ($20M) and Goff's dead money ($22.2M) they are deep in cap hell (-$35.2M cap space, 3rd worst in the NFL). Goff and Gurley account for almost 17% of their cap in 2021 ($30.6M) and aren't even on their team.

Unrelated I saw the Eagles are at -$51.5M, another reason why maybe EB didn't want to go there.

The Saints cap situation is so bad I think it broke Spotrac. It showed them having $58M in space but only 6 players under contract on one page, but -$104.6M on their team page. Maybe there is other errors on their site right now, making all of this research potentially worthless... sigh.

(02-01-2021, 01:18 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(02-01-2021, 12:21 PM)mabbott Wrote:  

Yeah. Not a great situation for Dorsey. Unlike the Browns when he joined them the Lions don't have $90M in cap space or whatever ridiculous number they had. The Lions are estimated at the 10th worst cap space which is already -$11M, though I'm pretty sure the league is going to do something to massage the cap because of Covid.

I don't know why Detroit felt they could or should take on Goff's terrible contract considering they're in the negative already. Goff accounts for over $27M on their cap and they still have a $19M dead cap from Stafford.

We all know what kind of cap hell we were in once Dorsey left. As for the Browns they have only +$19M now, largely his fault. That's still top half of the league, but again his starting point was ridiculous and he cut out their margin for error not just on stars, but middling players getting overpriced paydays.

I knew the Rams weren't great on the cap, but I just saw on Spotrac where because of Stafford ($20M) and Goff's dead money ($22.2M) they are deep in cap hell (-$35.2M cap space, 3rd worst in the NFL). Goff and Gurley account for almost 17% of their cap in 2021 ($30.6M) and aren't even on their team.

Unrelated I saw the Eagles are at -$51.5M, another reason why maybe EB didn't want to go there.

The Saints cap situation is so bad I think it broke Spotrac. It showed them having $58M in space but only 6 players under contract on one page, but -$104.6M on their team page. Maybe there is other errors on their site right now, making all of this research potentially worthless... sigh.

The Saints are cap dark necromancers.  They always pull it off--and they may again this year--but god knows what kind of blood sacrifices they've made to do it.  They were supposed to be in cap hell eight years ago and it's just kept going.  Do not attempt to emulate their model unless you have some serious mystical juice.  It's truly baffling.

The raiders are fielding offers for carr to supposedly make a run at Watson.

That would make the raiders more dangerous.

With all the QBs available, who would give anything for Carr?