Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Other NFL teams 2021 offseason thread

(01-06-2021, 09:50 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(01-05-2021, 09:43 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  I feel like EB if anything would be a better head coach than an offensive coordinator. He's a motivator, a fun soundbite machine, a mentor, etc. But everyone really knows this offense is Andy's baby and I'm not sure how much of it has rubbed off on EB nor will I know until he's off on his own for a while.

I'm not just playing into archetypes either.

Bieniemy's only OC stint before this was at the collegiate level with the Colorado Buffaloes and both years they were dead last in PPG in the PAC 12 (19.6 in 2011, 17.8 in 2012). In 2012 they were tied for 4th fewest PPG in the country. They were on the low end of average in 2010 the year before he got there (24.6 PPG) so he had them headed in the wrong direction.

Maybe that isn't a totally fair way to look at it. 2011 was the first year Colorado was in the PAC-12, and everyone knows the Big XII doesn't know how to play defense. Maybe it's really the fault of the other coaches or the players and he just needs some decent ingredients to cook with.

Still, I'm putting a bit of a buyer's warning on EB if a team thinks they're getting a ready made offensive juggernaut in a can with him. But at the same time, I think he has some real potential as an organizational figurehead with the right pieces around him.

The reasons in bold are the reasons I think he's gonna be a good head coach, but frankly those are the things that make Andy a good head coach too.  Way more so than his play-calling.

And I know Andy has had this late-career renaissance as a play-calling genius, but I think you're all forgetting he used to be the asshole with 60/40 run/pass play-call ratio who couldn't manage a 4- or 2-minute offense to save his life, so it is possible that working with some of the other guys has helped.  Do you really think it was Andy or Bienemy who decided to run it 45 times against Buffalo this year?

I could see it being either or both that wanted to run more at the time. The team needed to develop the run game more and it was working that night. The Bills kept running pass rush blitzes and the Chiefs ran past them until the Bills were demoralized.

Going back to his college playcalling tendencies EB had a slightly higher than average run/pass ratio, slightly below 50/50 one year and slightly above the next, but nothing crazy. They only averaged 3.5 ypc in 2011 and 3.1 ypc in 2012, so maybe he really wanted to run more but didn't have the personnel for it.

But yes, Andy has a well earned reputation, both the negatives and the positives. I think his overall strategery holds more value than you do, but no doubt his ability to connect with people is a huge factor in his abilities as a coach and I do see a lot of those values in Bieniemy.

Btw, the Chargers have requested an interview with him. So far EB has interview requests from the Jets, Jags, Lion, Chargers, and actually already interviewed with the Falcons. The Texans are the only team with a vacancy that haven't requested an interview... yet.

(01-06-2021, 01:52 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(01-06-2021, 09:50 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(01-05-2021, 09:43 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  I feel like EB if anything would be a better head coach than an offensive coordinator. He's a motivator, a fun soundbite machine, a mentor, etc. But everyone really knows this offense is Andy's baby and I'm not sure how much of it has rubbed off on EB nor will I know until he's off on his own for a while.

I'm not just playing into archetypes either.

Bieniemy's only OC stint before this was at the collegiate level with the Colorado Buffaloes and both years they were dead last in PPG in the PAC 12 (19.6 in 2011, 17.8 in 2012). In 2012 they were tied for 4th fewest PPG in the country. They were on the low end of average in 2010 the year before he got there (24.6 PPG) so he had them headed in the wrong direction.

Maybe that isn't a totally fair way to look at it. 2011 was the first year Colorado was in the PAC-12, and everyone knows the Big XII doesn't know how to play defense. Maybe it's really the fault of the other coaches or the players and he just needs some decent ingredients to cook with.

Still, I'm putting a bit of a buyer's warning on EB if a team thinks they're getting a ready made offensive juggernaut in a can with him. But at the same time, I think he has some real potential as an organizational figurehead with the right pieces around him.

The reasons in bold are the reasons I think he's gonna be a good head coach, but frankly those are the things that make Andy a good head coach too.  Way more so than his play-calling.

And I know Andy has had this late-career renaissance as a play-calling genius, but I think you're all forgetting he used to be the asshole with 60/40 run/pass play-call ratio who couldn't manage a 4- or 2-minute offense to save his life, so it is possible that working with some of the other guys has helped.  Do you really think it was Andy or Bienemy who decided to run it 45 times against Buffalo this year?

I could see it being either or both that wanted to run more at the time. The team needed to develop the run game more and it was working that night. The Bills kept running pass rush blitzes and the Chiefs ran past them until the Bills were demoralized.

Going back to his college playcalling tendencies EB had a slightly higher than average run/pass ratio, slightly below 50/50 one year and slightly above the next, but nothing crazy. They only averaged 3.5 ypc in 2011 and 3.1 ypc in 2012, so maybe he really wanted to run more but didn't have the personnel for it.

But yes, Andy has a well earned reputation, both the negatives and the positives. I think his overall strategery holds more value than you do, but no doubt his ability to connect with people is a huge factor in his abilities as a coach and I do see a lot of those values in Bieniemy.

Btw, the Chargers have requested an interview with him. So far EB has interview requests from the Jets, Jags, Lion, Chargers, and actually already interviewed with the Falcons. The Texans are the only team with a vacancy that haven't requested an interview... yet.

The Chargers are far and away the best job available, even despite being in the AFC West.  And Bienemy would not fear the Chiefs the way other coaches might.  So that's my nightmare scenario.  On the other hand, I also have Ekeler in dynasty, so...

Rumors are out that the jets have offered Bienemy their HC job.

Ok. Not quite. Just speculation. Not even substantial enough to be called rumor.

(01-09-2021, 09:48 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Rumors are out that the jets have offered Bienemy their HC job.

Ok. Not quite. Just speculation. Not even substantial enough to be called rumor.
Well, Peterson is available as an OC now...

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

(01-13-2021, 03:56 PM)mabbott Wrote:  
(01-09-2021, 09:48 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Rumors are out that the jets have offered Bienemy their HC job.

Well, Peterson is available as an OC now...

Yeah. Saw a lot of Eagles fans lament out loud how stupid their team is for giving up on Peterson so soon after a SB win.

Considering the new rules in place to promote minority hiring by giving their old team a 3rd round compensatory pick for a couple seasons, which I find an interesting way to promote their development as opposed to their actual hire or just a requirement to interview them, it won't hurt the Chiefs too much to lose EB since Kafka and/or Peterson are available as OCs.

Kinda sounds like Kafka would be more likely to get the eagles job than Bienemy for whatever reason.

Jets job is closed, as the winner is Robert Saleh.

Jaguars job is also closed, as the winner is Urban Meyer.

Falcons hire Smith from Titans.

I like the Jets hire… I have enjoyed watching him coach as the Niners are the local team out here.

[Image: 57agPlO.png]
Pure blind luck... it's been protecting children from fire for centuries!

Btw, the Broncos have a new GM and an instant headache for him to deal with.

https://predominantlyorange.com/2021/01/...ton-hired/

The Broncos hired George Paton (pronounced Payton) who had been a Minnesota Vikings exec a couple days ago. I've been kind of unplugged from general NFL news so this was the first I had heard it. Apparently Broncos fans have entirely gave up on Lock en masse and largely want to see a new QB either in the draft or a vet like Matthew Stafford.

But that's not the real headache. The real headache is Von Miller is under investigation for alleged domestic violence.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3071...von-miller

This would be an easy time for the Broncos to walk away from their aging star since he's coming off of an injury and due a lot of money if they pick up his option for next year.

I'm not cool with domestic violence or with assuming the worst of accusations without an investigation, so let the police investigate and the chips fall where they may. From the sounds of it the lady in question is walking some of her story back. I could be extremely cynical about her motivations either in the original charges or walking them back publicly on IG, but like I said we'll see when there's more information.