Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Other NFL teams 2021 offseason thread

So... it looks like John Elway just fired himself from the GM job in Denver.

(01-04-2021, 06:19 PM)NOLA Wrote:  So... it looks like John Elway just fired himself from the GM job in Denver.

That sucks just about as bad as the chargers firing Lynn. Only thing worse that could happen to the Chiefs reign on the division is if gruden would get fired too.

(01-04-2021, 07:13 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(01-04-2021, 06:19 PM)NOLA Wrote:  So... it looks like John Elway just fired himself from the GM job in Denver.

That sucks just about as bad as the chargers firing Lynn. Only thing worse that could happen to the Chiefs reign on the division is if gruden would get fired too.

There's two more that would be much worse: the Chargers could hire Eric Bienemy to be their new coach, and the Broncos could hire (Chiefs director of football operations) as their new GM.

(01-04-2021, 07:49 PM)NOLA Wrote:  

There's two more that would be much worse: the Chargers could hire Eric Bienemy to be their new coach, and the Broncos could hire (Chiefs director of football operations) as their new GM.

Color me skeptical on bienemy's chances for success as a head coach. I like the guy and think he deserves a chance but... I feel like he's gonna end up looking at his qb wondering why he doesn't (insert awesome thing mahomes does here) like mahomes does.
And I dont know anything about our DoFO. So can't comment on how that would hurt.

(01-04-2021, 07:57 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  

Color me skeptical on bienemy's chances for success as a head coach. I like the guy and think he deserves a chance but... I feel like he's gonna end up looking at his qb wondering why he doesn't (insert awesome thing mahomes does here) like mahomes does.
And I dont know anything about our DoFO. So can't comment on how that would hurt.

Not if he takes the Houston job...

(01-04-2021, 09:00 PM)NOLA Wrote:  

Yeah but there he'd be stuck with no picks for 2 years with cap problems and a defense needing an overhaul. And Watson is good but he's no mahomes.

(01-04-2021, 10:02 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(01-04-2021, 07:13 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  That sucks just about as bad as the chargers firing Lynn. Only thing worse that could happen to the Chiefs reign on the division is if gruden would get fired too.

Yeah but there he'd be stuck with no picks for 2 years with cap problems and a defense needing an overhaul. And Watson is good but he's no mahomes.

You seem to want to discredit both Watson and Bienemy, and I'm not particularly sure why, but they're both far more talented than you are giving either credit for, and I'm not sure why.  It's no knock on Mahomes.

(01-05-2021, 09:43 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(01-04-2021, 10:02 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(01-04-2021, 07:49 PM)NOLA Wrote:  There's two more that would be much worse: the Chargers could hire Eric Bienemy to be their new coach, and the Broncos could hire (Chiefs director of football operations) as their new GM.

You seem to want to discredit both Watson and Bienemy, and I'm not particularly sure why, but they're both far more talented than you are giving either credit for, and I'm not sure why.  It's no knock on Mahomes.

I'm not trying to disrespect either one. I think Watson is in the tier below mahomes but I don't think he reads the field as well. He's really good though.  
As far as bienemy's outlook, I know Peterson won a super bowl but neither he or Nagy have looked amazing as head coaches and I'd say bienemy is going to find the going tougher without Reid than Reid will without him.

I feel like EB if anything would be a better head coach than an offensive coordinator. He's a motivator, a fun soundbite machine, a mentor, etc. But everyone really knows this offense is Andy's baby and I'm not sure how much of it has rubbed off on EB nor will I know until he's off on his own for a while.

I'm not just playing into archetypes either.

Bieniemy's only OC stint before this was at the collegiate level with the Colorado Buffaloes and both years they were dead last in PPG in the PAC 12 (19.6 in 2011, 17.8 in 2012). In 2012 they were tied for 4th fewest PPG in the country. They were on the low end of average in 2010 the year before he got there (24.6 PPG) so he had them headed in the wrong direction.

Maybe that isn't a totally fair way to look at it. 2011 was the first year Colorado was in the PAC-12, and everyone knows the Big XII doesn't know how to play defense. Maybe it's really the fault of the other coaches or the players and he just needs some decent ingredients to cook with.

Still, I'm putting a bit of a buyer's warning on EB if a team thinks they're getting a ready made offensive juggernaut in a can with him. But at the same time, I think he has some real potential as an organizational figurehead with the right pieces around him.

(01-05-2021, 09:43 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  I feel like EB if anything would be a better head coach than an offensive coordinator. He's a motivator, a fun soundbite machine, a mentor, etc. But everyone really knows this offense is Andy's baby and I'm not sure how much of it has rubbed off on EB nor will I know until he's off on his own for a while.

I'm not just playing into archetypes either.

Bieniemy's only OC stint before this was at the collegiate level with the Colorado Buffaloes and both years they were dead last in PPG in the PAC 12 (19.6 in 2011, 17.8 in 2012). In 2012 they were tied for 4th fewest PPG in the country. They were on the low end of average in 2010 the year before he got there (24.6 PPG) so he had them headed in the wrong direction.

Maybe that isn't a totally fair way to look at it. 2011 was the first year Colorado was in the PAC-12, and everyone knows the Big XII doesn't know how to play defense. Maybe it's really the fault of the other coaches or the players and he just needs some decent ingredients to cook with.

Still, I'm putting a bit of a buyer's warning on EB if a team thinks they're getting a ready made offensive juggernaut in a can with him. But at the same time, I think he has some real potential as an organizational figurehead with the right pieces around him.

The reasons in bold are the reasons I think he's gonna be a good head coach, but frankly those are the things that make Andy a good head coach too.  Way more so than his play-calling.

And I know Andy has had this late-career renaissance as a play-calling genius, but I think you're all forgetting he used to be the asshole with 60/40 run/pass play-call ratio who couldn't manage a 4- or 2-minute offense to save his life, so it is possible that working with some of the other guys has helped.  Do you really think it was Andy or Bienemy who decided to run it 45 times against Buffalo this year?