Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs vs. Falcons - Week 16 Penultimate Pre Playoff Practice Game

I apologize that I couldn't think of a synonym for "game" that starts with a P.

The 13-1 Chiefs are all but mathematically assured the #1 seed, but will still likely play their starters for one more week to seal the deal. The 4-10 Falcons get to be the last sad lot to try and beat them.

The Falcons have a surprisingly decent point differential (+2) despite their losing record, but +37 of it came in a hilarious 43-6 drubbing of the then actively deflating Raiders after we put them in their place. The Raiders have lost every game since then against real NFL teams not named the Jets who they beat by a whopping 3 points.

If you take away that one game, suddenly the Falcons would be basically in the same boat as the also 4-10 Panthers (-33) and that seems about right.

The Falcons are an average offense with some excellent wideouts that are highly dependent on big plays. They have the 4th most 20+ passing plays behind the Chiefs (duh), Bills, and Texans. They clearly aren't as efficient as the Chiefs, who average far more yards per pass (7.4 vs. 8.2), a far better passer (91.2 vs. 110.6), and of course a better TD to INT ratio (26:14 vs. 36:5). It's feast or famine with them and the Chiefs pass D is their strength, 10th ranked despite leading in most games.

The Falcons defense is a little more on the worse side of average, but trash against the pass. 2nd most yards given up through the air. Their Rush D is considerably better and ranked 9th, but that's only because teams don't run on them (2nd fewest rushing attempts against) while in reality being pretty average (4.4 ypc, ranked 16th). Obviously, the Chiefs offense is built to destroy even good secondaries.

This is not a favorable matchup for the Falcons beyond the fact that they just are not in the same class as the Chiefs in overall quality.

I hate games like this that don’t really matter to either team.

(12-23-2020, 06:01 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  I hate games like this that don’t really matter to either team.

Totally agree. Even from an entertainment standpoint it makes everything worse.

However, giving the Chiefs effectively 2 weeks off I think is about right. They get one last bit of game action and then get to rest. You don't want starters getting hurt, but you also don't want them getting rusty.

I'm expecting some prime bye week Andy Reid with the extra gameplan time. I bet he even hands the car keys to EB in full for week 17 as a showcase for potential HC jobs.

"Chiefs vs. Falcons - Week 16 Penultimate Pre Playoff Practice Pairing"?

(12-23-2020, 06:01 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  I hate games like this that don’t really matter to either team.

Oh man, I know it doesn't matter to you, but watching the Falcons fail is a time-honored Saints fan activity.  Honest to God, I think Saints fans like watching the Falcons lose in new and hilarious ways more than they like watching the Saints win.  28-3 clearly the highwater mark, but they had some great entries earlier this year too.

(12-23-2020, 07:03 PM)NOLA Wrote:  "Chiefs vs. Falcons - Week 16 Penultimate Pre Playoff Practice Pairing"?
"Chiefs vs. Falcons - Week 16 Penultimate Pre Playoff Practice Performance ?

(12-23-2020, 07:06 PM)NOLA Wrote:  

Oh man, I know it doesn't matter to you, but watching the Falcons fail is a time-honored Saints fan activity.  Honest to God, I think Saints fans like watching the Falcons lose in new and hilarious ways more than they like watching the Saints win.  28-3 clearly the highwater mark, but they had some great entries earlier this year too.

That was something I almost mentioned in the opening post here, the Falcons' ability to fail spectacularly. I was going to mention that they don't deserve credit for playing teams close on their point differential when it comes in the form of epic collapses.

I'm more nervous about dropping this game than I should be. It doesn't really mean anything as we clinch in any number of other ways. And the falcons defense isn't what I would call good, but they seem to usually keep it close. I don't know.

(12-26-2020, 09:47 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I'm more nervous about dropping this game than I should be. It doesn't really mean anything as we clinch in any number of other ways. And the falcons defense isn't what I would call good, but they seem to usually keep it close. I don't know.

[Ron Howard voice:] "They did not keep it close."

I think the Chiefs are going to demolish the Falcons today. With clinching the #1 seed today and being able to rest next week, Patrick Lavon Mahomes II is going to have a great game, along with the rest of the team.