Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs @ Saints - Week 15 SB LV Preview?

The Chiefs stand alone atop the standings.

The Steelers lost again, this time more convincingly to the Bills. The AFC East has gifted the Chiefs 3 wins, plus another here. What a blessing! And the Steelers still have to face the Bengals which should be manageable, the Colts which should be tough sledding, and the Browns who would collectively sacrifice their first born children to fulfill their slim hopes at a division title.

Now it's just the Chiefs at 12-1, #2 scoring offense, #8 scoring defense, #1 point differential (+122), and an MVP player continuing to do MVP things while leading a squad of elite players. The Chiefs control their destiny and appear destined to further secure their dynasty.

Who could dare oppose such a force?

The Saints at 10-3, #7 scoring offense, #4 scoring defense, #3 point differential (+103), and a beast leading them that is an all-time great at QB... unless he doesn't. Drew Brees status for this game is the biggest question mark of really any question mark we've seen all season.

Without Brees the team just lost to the Eagles piloted by a rookie QB. Mind you, Taysom Hill did pretty good, it may not be as simple as getting Brees back and everything being better, but it must have been a bitter pill to see a run first QB tear up the Saints after recent weeks watching Hill do this to opposing defenses.

With Hill it's a run first team that can pass in spots while leaning on their defense. With Brees it's a pass first team that can gash you with the run for huge chunks. It's still a respectable team without Brees, but he changes the complexion of this game immensely.

This is a tough game, but unsurprisingly the Chiefs are favorites and I think they would be even if Brees were healthy. But nobody thinks this is going to be easy, and a bored championship re-run can easily get knocked in the teeth by a team that just had their own rude awakening.

Man, so I have so many thoughts about this game, but so much hinges on whether it's Brees or Taysom.

Also, for the record: my ideal scenario this weekend is for the Saints to win and Steelers to lose again. I am rooting for the Saints because I am rooting for Drew Brees' legacy, and the Chiefs are going to win plenty of Super Bowls with Mahomes. I honestly don't even question that. I just assume it the way you assume the sun is gonna rise tomorrow. I suppose it might not, but I'd be pretty fucking shocked. So I'd like to see Brees go out on top with the Saints, and they'll need a first round bye to do it (at least).

All of that said, I fully and completely expect the Chiefs will win this weekend regardless of who starts at QB, but I think Brees would still be able to make a game of it (and you would still get plenty of Taysom). Ball control is a good plan against the Chiefs, and well within their current scheming. Also, I'm very curious to see if the Saints defense bounces back and looks more like the unit it had before last Sunday. But again, you watch the Chiefs play, and you just assume they're going to win. They lost the turnover battle 4-1 against Miami last weekend and were up 30-10 to start the 4th quarter. So yes, the Saints are legitimately very good, but I still think the Chiefs are the best team in the league, and I would put my money on them this weekend.

At this point a loss to the saints doesn't move us out of the #1 spot. Assuming we win the rest, we'd get the bye. And if the steelers win out and we only lose to the Chargers they'd get the bye. So in all likelihood, winning this game means very little to our bye chances.

(12-15-2020, 07:49 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  At this point a loss to the saints doesn't move us out of the #1 spot. Assuming we win the rest, we'd get the bye. And if the steelers win out and we only lose to the Chargers they'd get the bye. So in all likelihood, winning this game means very little to our bye chances.

I appreciate how quickly you got onboard with me selling out the Chiefs like that.  Thanks!

(12-15-2020, 08:44 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(12-15-2020, 07:49 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  At this point a loss to the saints doesn't move us out of the #1 spot. Assuming we win the rest, we'd get the bye. And if the steelers win out and we only lose to the Chargers they'd get the bye. So in all likelihood, winning this game means very little to our bye chances.

I appreciate how quickly you got onboard with me selling out the Chiefs like that.  Thanks!
No problem. Of course I don't think we are in much danger of losing to the saints. The defense is legit and taysom and Kamara could do some real damage on the ground but neither Brees or hill scare me as passers at this point. Same thing I said of the dolphins last week is true this week. The other team just won't be able to score enough.

(12-15-2020, 09:05 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(12-15-2020, 08:44 PM)NOLA Wrote:  

No problem. Of course I don't think we are in much danger of losing to the saints. The defense is legit and taysom and Kamara could do some real damage on the ground but neither Brees or hill scare me as passers at this point. Same thing I said of the dolphins last week is true this week. The other team just won't be able to score enough.

I also think this is the most likely outcome.

https://twitter.com/ChiefsHighlight/stat...35680?s=20

(12-16-2020, 12:02 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChiefsHighlight/stat...35680?s=20

Was that Brodie Croyle at QB?

(12-16-2020, 01:10 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(12-16-2020, 12:02 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChiefsHighlight/stat...35680?s=20

Was that Brodie Croyle at QB?

Cassel.

Jesus.  Those were some DARK years folks.

At least it wasn't Thigpen