Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2020 Fantasy Football Thread

I'm in 2 leagues.

1st league I won the loser's bracket, so I get to chose my spot in the 10 person snake draft, 1/2 point PPR. Everyone else is randomly placed. Curious, where would you guys want to draft in a league like that and what players you would target for the first couple rounds? I don't really want or need any advice beyond that on this league.

2nd league is a new auction draft for a "dynasty", superflex, full PPR league with an expanded roster and IR spots, no cap. A superflex league, which means you start 2 QBs. This league is mostly Chiefs fans, so I'm thinking I should want to target non-Chiefs players, but particularly QBs that should be around for years like Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray.

In that second league I would like any good strats regarding auctions and dynsaty drafts as I've done neither before.

Definitely go do some mock auctions. It's such a different beast. It won't be apples to apples because of the dynasty element but if suggest at least 5 mock auctions all the way through to at least have some comfort level in them.

As for the snake draft, I'd go mid to late 1st. That's where I'm hoping to be. I'm shooting for ceh in the first. He'll probably be there at about the 7 range and if he's not then it means someone fell. I like the late first because I can get two top 10 rbs or a top 10 rb and wr. Tes being so bad last year are making me think about kelce in the 2nd but I think I'll hold off and grab a te late

also I'd consider Mahomes but not until the 3rd and I still think even there the opportunity cost is too high. Did that in a mock and I ended up with a backup rb as my best bench rb.

The superflex dynasty id pay out the ass for mahomes though. But you're right that Kyler and Russell would be great options and probably much cheaper considering its chief fans.

One tactic I use in auction drafts is early on when its my turn to pick a player to put up, I pick someone I have no interest in getting and let people spend their money early. Its fairly often that I don't end up with any players in the first two rounds because they go so high so anytime I can have people spending large amounts on guys I don't want i make it happen.

But don't be afraid to spend on someone you do want. I've waited and then ended up with boatloads of extra money at the end and think about the guy I wanted but was afraid of the price at the time.

I'll keep this advice in mind. I'll start doing some mock auctions tonight.

As for the other I was already considering around 7th or 8th draft positions for similar reasons, take the best player that falls in the 1st because that always happens and get a solid RB/WR still in the 2nd.

I've never done an auction draft. Sounds cool and probably harder.

Its always weird to me that only maybe 3-4 qbs will go for more than $10 and then you can get pretty much everybody else for $2-3. Again, that will be different for you because its a superflex and a dynasty league but the dollar valuations on qbs are always so much lower after the first couple.

Found a pretty good resource showing average draft positions for different types of leagues.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/half-ppr

I'm going to try to decide who the two least best players I feel I'd want in the first 2 rounds so I know how late I can pick. If I like 12, I can safely pick 9/12 without any worries, for example. Going to do more research tonight.

Looks cool but quick glance showed me that it was done pre Damien opt out.

(08-14-2020, 01:34 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  I'm in 2 leagues.

1st league I won the loser's bracket, so I get to chose my spot in the 10 person snake draft, 1/2 point PPR. Everyone else is randomly placed. Curious, where would you guys want to draft in a league like that and what players you would target for the first couple rounds? I don't really want or need any advice beyond that on this league.

2nd league is a new auction draft for a "dynasty", superflex, full PPR league with an expanded roster and IR spots, no cap. A superflex league, which means you start 2 QBs. This league is mostly Chiefs fans, so I'm thinking I should want to target non-Chiefs players, but particularly QBs that should be around for years like Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray.

In that second league I would like any good strats regarding auctions and dynsaty drafts as I've done neither before.

League the 1st: In a ten person snake draft, I would want to draft 5th overall most years (I would also take 5th in a 12-person snake draft to stay near the middle, but still have a top 5 pick in the 1st round).  I'll be honest, I haven't done my draft homework yet this year.

League the 2nd: I have been in the same dynasty league for ten years.  It is not a superflex, so I imagine that will impact strategy a little bit.  Also, I've never done an auction, but I can at least give you an idea of how I'd prioritize things and you'll have to read the room as far as dollar value.

In the first draft of a dynasty league, I would value a quarterback more than you would in a redraft league as it will have the largest impact on your overall point totals for the longest.  Which means Mahomes or Jackson would be the platonic ideals of a top pick if this were a snake draft.  Auction you'll probably want to see who blinks first in the bidding war.  Watson would be another good choice to spend extra on because he's still young.  My advice on when to draft a QB will be below.  Russell Wilson could be a great value if he gets overlooked because of his age.

Which brings me to my next point: youth matters.  Don't overpay for older players, instead look to fill your roster with older top scorers to round out your roster after you've spent more money on a few top shelf young players.  RBs matter a lot and will be very valuable commodities in your rookie drafts every year, but don't be the guy overpaying for RBs in the first dynasty draft.  They have a very short shelf life (which is why they're in demand every year).  Instead spend the extra money some top young receivers like a Kenny Golloday or a Chris Godwin, and then get some great older running backs or some younger guys with potential to fill in your RB spots on a budget.  RBs become fungible on a year-to-year basis, but it's a pain in the ass to develop a rookie WR in dynasty.  Takes a while, and the hit-miss ratio isn't great.  Also might be a good idea to take a flier on a few 1st-round-pick type rookies for a dollar to see if you hit the lottery with any of them.  You could basically get what would be like five or six first round picks if this were just your annual rookie draft for a few bucks.

Again, I haven't done this, but I'm told there is strategy on when to put players up for auction. If you have certain guys you're targeting, wait to put them out until later when people have already spent too much of their money.  Similarly, if there's somebody you know you don't want but will be popular/in demand, throw them out early and drive the bidding up a little bit.  Get other people to spend their money while you sit back at wait for more of your players.

Oh, and you'll probably want to overpay for George Kittle.  I'd say overpay for Kelce, but it will be all Chiefs fans, so overpay for Kittle.  You will never find a fantasy TE in dynasty.  You will either overpay for one now, or you will be forced to overpay in a trade for one later (or will have to find a sucker).