Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2020 Draft thread

(04-25-2020, 09:32 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Typo on my part. I meant players. 

Someone tell me how to feel about the draft over all

We already have a great roster, so a lot of these guys are mostly depth and future starters, but needs were substantially filled. Depending upon development though I could easily see 4 guys starting this year (CEH, Gay, Niang, one DB) and not just because of injuries.

Here's Arrowhead Pride's take from Kent Swanson and he gives the draft an A (for reference he gave last year a B).

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/4/26...fs-players

Random anecdote but I listen to a podcast where among the many things they talk about once a week on Friday they (host, producer, editor, and a random guest) individually make predictions and probably 50% of their predictions are sports related. It's not a sports podcast, but the host does write for a sports site as well, very knowledgeable especially about college ball. The producer is a Chiefs fan.

The host was going to make a prediction about CEH being the best RB by far in the draft and he almost didn't want to make the prediction once he saw him go to the Chiefs, not because it changed it for the worse, but because he just didn't want to admit that to his producer. He, like many, loves the scheme fit and therefore hates that the rich got richer.

(04-25-2020, 10:15 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(04-25-2020, 09:32 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  
(04-25-2020, 09:15 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(04-25-2020, 05:50 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  So i know nothing of the player we drafted.

Someone tell me how to feel.

The 7th rounder?
Some places had him going as high as the 4th round. He has a family member who is a chiefs fan. And veach traded a 6th rounder next year to make sure we got him.
Feel good about it. Even if he's just depth, he probably makes the roster if we carry 10 dbs.

Typo on my part. I meant players. 

Someone tell me how to feel about the draft over all

Well... it has seemed that they got guys that their coaches (and mahomes) wanted. CEH was a reid/veach/mahomes guy. Gay was a house/spags guy. Dont know about niang. Sneed seems like a spags guy. Danna was a want by spags/daly- reports have been that we would have tried to draft him last year had he declared for the draft. And then bopete Keyes I've already addressed.
There will be some of these guys who wont make any impact but I think every one of them has a great chance to be on the roster this year. Danna and niang would appear to be have the hardest route to playing time this season. Sneed and Keyes should have a chance to play in dime packages and/or special teams.

I think niang has a good chance of starting at guard if you listen to Reid and veach.

He also speaks french!

(04-27-2020, 05:54 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(04-25-2020, 12:46 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(04-24-2020, 09:17 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(04-24-2020, 07:23 PM)NOLA Wrote:  So... another first round pick out of LSU, then?  I, for one, am shocked.

This team does have some weird tendencies, like that and San Fran QBs.

Since it probably wasn't apparent through a very thick layer of sarcasm, I'm actually really happy with this pick.  It's fun and exciting when your teams grabs an offensive skill player early even when it doesn't make sense--this is not one of those times.  This makes a ton of sense to me.  Williams was great in the playoffs, but he disappeared for large portions of season, even when he wasn't hurt.  We still miss Hunt (on the field).  Hopefully CEH can replace that element of the offense.

I feel like this is a great point that's overlooked by most fans. I like me some Damien Williams, he's been a great fit, but he is still miles from showing he can shoulder a load across the season. Even if we had a true bell cow RB you never know when injuries might occur.

In a little over a calendar year Todd Gurley went from one of the most feared players in the NFL to a punchline. It's nice to be prepared and CEH may prove a ton better even if Damien is more clutch.

I'm a bit more critical.  

Williams was averaging like 2.8 you until well after the bye week.  Kc's offense faces so many 5 and 6 man fronts there are lanes.  

I viewed our 2 biggest needs as LB and RB.

And I would have traded up for Simmons if it was possible.  Hes like Bobby Bell.  Total athletic freak who could probably play 9 positions on defense.

(04-27-2020, 10:35 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(04-27-2020, 05:54 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(04-25-2020, 12:46 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(04-24-2020, 09:17 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(04-24-2020, 07:23 PM)NOLA Wrote:  So... another first round pick out of LSU, then?  I, for one, am shocked.

This team does have some weird tendencies, like that and San Fran QBs.

Since it probably wasn't apparent through a very thick layer of sarcasm, I'm actually really happy with this pick.  It's fun and exciting when your teams grabs an offensive skill player early even when it doesn't make sense--this is not one of those times.  This makes a ton of sense to me.  Williams was great in the playoffs, but he disappeared for large portions of season, even when he wasn't hurt.  We still miss Hunt (on the field).  Hopefully CEH can replace that element of the offense.

I feel like this is a great point that's overlooked by most fans. I like me some Damien Williams, he's been a great fit, but he is still miles from showing he can shoulder a load across the season. Even if we had a true bell cow RB you never know when injuries might occur.

In a little over a calendar year Todd Gurley went from one of the most feared players in the NFL to a punchline. It's nice to be prepared and CEH may prove a ton better even if Damien is more clutch.

I'm a bit more critical.  

Williams was averaging like 2.8 you until well after the bye week.  Kc's offense faces so many 5 and 6 man fronts there are lanes.  

I viewed our 2 biggest needs as LB and RB.

And I would have traded up for Simmons if it was possible.  Hes like Bobby Bell.  Total athletic freak who could probably play 9 positions on defense.

You're right. Outside of the playoffs it'd be hard to justify Damien being an NFL starter. His injury history does him no favors either.

Damien really showed no signs of life as a runner until he hit that homerun against Minnesota, and then he got hurt shortly thereafter. He had only 4 good games in the regular season. But he had another great postseason, especially the SB.

I would have killed for Simmons. I like him better than Chase Young. The Cardinals might have rebuilt their front 7 with this draft.

Highly likely the Chiefs really wanted offensive lineman Cesar Ruiz in the draft.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/...nfl-draft/

I for one wanted him, but didn't think he'd drop to our spot. He did not. The article states the Saints were interested in trading back hoping to still get Ruiz, but had heard the Chiefs and Dolphins were interested causing them to go ahead and draft him at that spot.

CEH was a flashier move, but the result is the same, we're trying to keep our MVP QB happy.

I'm happy with the results of this offseason. Not only with the draft picks and the FA signings but some players that were not available in the SB that will be coming back like Okafor and Thornhill.

(05-14-2020, 11:24 AM)DallasChief Wrote:  I'm happy with the results of this offseason.  Not only with the draft picks and the FA signings but some players that were not available in the SB that will be coming back like Okafor and Thornhill.

Didn't veach trade Murray for Okafor straight up?

He's really good at his job.

Him or ogbah. Either way, Murray was terrible.

It was Ogbah.

Okafor was a free agent signing.

(05-18-2020, 02:41 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  It was Ogbah.

Okafor was a free agent signing.
He played well until his injury.  
Half a season of good production was more than murray ever gave us.