Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NFL Lamar Jackson is MVP

I don't think this style is going to last but Harbaugh has done a masterful job of scheming an offense ro Lamar this year and until defenses adjust lamar is a threat. He's definitely the mvp this year and he has gotten better as a passer but it's not his strength despite his attempts to deny that hes a runner first.

(12-12-2019, 08:55 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I don't think this style is going to last but Harbaugh has done a masterful job of scheming an offense ro Lamar this year and until defenses adjust lamar is a threat. He's definitely the mvp this year and he has gotten better as a passer but it's not his strength despite his attempts to deny that hes a runner first.

He might still be an amazing passer once he ages out of running it all the time.  But he has been phenomenal regardless, I will agree with you there.

EDIT: Wanted to amend this because I did not make it clear that he's been a phenomenal passer this year as is, and I think he doesn't get credit for that. I just think that he's a guy who, much like Russell Wilson, will be able to transition into a different style of play as he continues to improve. He's a gifted runner who also has great vision as a passer who has shown remarkable accuracy and touch this year. I'm still firmly Team Mahomes (Football Jesus is real and he plays in KC), but Lamar is special in his own right.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't watched that many ravens games this year but the ones I have watched here still appears to me to be a 2 read qb at most. After that he is looking to run, and sometimes after his first pass read. Ir works and it is a good play a lot of the time but my biggest gripe is when he tries to convince everyone he's always looking to throw it first and foremost.

(12-12-2019, 11:09 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I'll be honest and say that I haven't watched that many ravens games this year but the ones I have watched here still appears to me to be a 2 read qb at most. After that he is looking to run, and sometimes after his first pass read. Ir works and it is a good play a lot of the time but my biggest gripe is when he tries to convince everyone he's always looking to throw it first and foremost.

Yeah, I think I've watched more (8, maybe?) than you have because he's definitely a pocket passer first who can happen to fly.  You're wrong. People thought this about Russell Wilson for years too until he recently aged out of running for obvious yards. The difference is that Lamar has competent coaches and Wilson has Pete Carroll, so Lamar is going to continue to improve faster.

I don't see how they could give it to anyone else.

Lamar Jackson isn't exactly some lord of passing. This year he's only had 3 games of 250+ yards, 300+ once (against the Dolphins week 1), and 170 or less 6 times and his passing yardage totals are down tremendously since the first month of the season. He's kind of riding goodwill on the passing front.

Lamar has 306 (EDIT: That was career rushes) 159 rushes compared to 344 completions, so yes, he's still a run first QB even if he does better in the pocket than he was.

That being said, he has been very efficient when he has passed. His TD numbers are kind of inflated, but it's hard to argue with 33 TDs to 6 INTs. And he is a beast runner. He's a worthy MVP.

(12-13-2019, 10:14 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Lamar Jackson isn't exactly some lord of passing. This year he's only had 3 games of 250+ yards, 300+ once (against the Dolphins week 1), and 170 or less 6 times and his passing yardage totals are down tremendously since the first month of the season. He's kind of riding goodwill on the passing front.

Lamar has 306 rushes compared to 344 completions, so yes, he's still a run first QB even if he does better in the pocket than he was.

That being said, he has been very efficient when he has passed. His TD numbers are kind of inflated, but it's hard to argue with 33 TDs to 6 INTs. And he is a beast runner. He's a worthy MVP.

The throws he does make are beautiful, and he has an amazing deep ball.  You are also wrong.

(12-13-2019, 11:08 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(12-13-2019, 10:14 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Lamar Jackson isn't exactly some lord of passing. This year he's only had 3 games of 250+ yards, 300+ once (against the Dolphins week 1), and 170 or less 6 times and his passing yardage totals are down tremendously since the first month of the season. He's kind of riding goodwill on the passing front.

Lamar has 306 rushes compared to 344 completions, so yes, he's still a run first QB even if he does better in the pocket than he was.

The throws he does make are beautiful, and he has an amazing deep ball.  You are also wrong.

Fine then, guess he isn't a worthy MVP.

(12-13-2019, 09:08 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

That seems like a good faith reply to the point I was making, sure.

(12-14-2019, 01:35 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(12-13-2019, 09:08 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

Lamar has 306 159 rushes compared to 344 completions, so yes, he's still a run first QB even if he does better in the pocket than he was.

That seems like a good faith reply to the point I was making, sure.

Or a joke.

I will admit I made a crucial mistake when looking at the stats, I accidentally looked at Lamar's total rushes including last year. He has 159 rushes to 344 completions this season which is still a ton of rushes for a QB, only 13 less than the next 2 closest combined. If he isn't a run first QB, no one is... except Taysom Hill, but he doesn't count.

I'm not saying he's a bad passer, I'm saying purely as a passer there are several guys still ahead of Lamar. He only ranks 29th in passing yards per game (min 100 attempts) and if anything he's going to drop further on that list if guys like David Blough and Drew Lock qualify.

A 33:6 TD to INT ratio is awesome, but I'm telling you his TD numbers are inflated (finishing off primarily running drives) and his other efficiency numbers aren't MVP level. Even in terms of yards per pass and completion percentage (both ranked 11th, min 100 attempts) he's not doing as well as you might think.

Lamar can't handle 200 or so hits a season for very long either, and that's how much he's getting hit with a very good line.

BTW, the most rushes Russell Wilson had in a season was 118. If you expect Jackson to follow Wilson's career path he will need to develop more as a passer and particularly the intermediate game. I think this is actually a positive for him that he has some room to grow, have a very Randall Cunningham type career.

But yes, Lamar is a worthy MVP. 33:6 TD to INT stapled onto a 1,000+ runner is very impressive, regardless of if there are better passers or if it's a sustainable career trajectory.