Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs vs. Packers - SNF

Well, since they won I guess I get to keep my job here.

It's felt like forever since I would need to concede something I've had to concede most of my life as a Chiefs fan. That the opposing team we're about to face had the superior QB. Healthy I'll take Mahomes every day and twice on Sunday over Rodgers, quadrupibly (don't care if that's a word) so if we're talking about building a team from scratch.

I watched mostly in joy as Rodgers devastated the Raiders with a perfect passer rating, but the thought kept crossing my mind that we don't get to face Joe Flacco 9 more times this season. We have to face THAT next week on national TV. Also, that at some point I have to face him in fantasy.

But here's the thing. The Raiders are hilariously inept at rushing the passer. We literally had 1 less sack last week than they've had through 6 games (10 vs. 9). Obviously the counter is that we weren't great either going in to last Thursday, but if our defense is going to take another step forward, prove that the Broncos game was no fluke, it will be at the line of scrimmage.

It feels really weird that I think the defense is the x-factor that can win us the game. It looked like Spags remembered what a blitz was and when to use them.

I don't imagine Matt Moore will be throwing 57 yard bombs left and right, but he's never had these kinds of weapons before either. You could see the look on his face when he nailed that pass to Tyreek in stride, "That was easy! This is incredible". We might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm just hoping to get past this without significant injuries. We can't afford any more of them.

(10-21-2019, 10:15 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Well, since they won I guess I get to keep my job here.

It's felt like forever since I would need to concede something I've had to concede most of my life as a Chiefs fan. That the opposing team we're about to face had the superior QB. Healthy I'll take Mahomes every day and twice on Sunday over Rodgers, quadrupibly (don't care if that's a word) so if we're talking about building a team from scratch.

I watched mostly in joy as Rodgers devastated the Raiders with a perfect passer rating, but the thought kept crossing my mind that we don't get to face Joe Flacco 9 more times this season. We have to face THAT next week on national TV. Also, that at some point I have to face him in fantasy.

But here's the thing. The Raiders are hilariously inept at rushing the passer. We literally had 1 less sack last week than they've had through 6 games (10 vs. 9). Obviously the counter is that we weren't great either going in to last Thursday, but if our defense is going to take another step forward, prove that the Broncos game was no fluke, it will be at the line of scrimmage.

It feels really weird that I think the defense is the x-factor that can win us the game. It looked like Spags remembered what a blitz was and when to use them.

I don't imagine Matt Moore will be throwing 57 yard bombs left and right, but he's never had these kinds of weapons before either. You could see the look on his face when he nailed that pass to Tyreek in stride, "That was easy! This is incredible". We might be pleasantly surprised.

That tyreek play is something else.  I'm going to go on a thing:

Has anyone noticed how the Patriots almost avoid fast WR's?  Has anyone noticed that even fast guys, in NE's offense, can only survive if they run half speed?  It's all about route development.  So and so pulls this guy in this direction which as long as so and so is IN HIS SPOT, he'll be open.  ONe problem they had with a guy like Cooks is that he ran his routes too fast and was getting to his spot TOO EARLY.  

Then you have Andy Reid who has damn near invented a new route concept this year and it only is really effective with a really fast WR running full speed.  Watkins scored the same route against the Jags.  He runs that drag from the slot position and then it turns upfield like a flare route. In both cases announcers talked like it was just Hill improvising at the end of his route, but it's something they do on film.  It's clearly how the route is designed.  

Andy is quite brilliant at designing passing plays that take advantage of fast WR's rather than just asking them to run half speed until they catch the ball.

That said I don't expect KC to have much offensive success if they keep doing this shotgun 90% of the time stuff with Matt Moore.  It's already hurting the running game, but with Moore the running game HAS to be effective.  It has to.

As for the defense:  Impressive game.  Very few missed tackles.  LB"s getting downhill in the running game.  Secondary played solid (again).  Gonna need them to do it again, cos if they play like they did against Houston we'll get blown out.  Packers are not fool's gold.  This is a good damn team.

(10-21-2019, 02:57 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  I'm just hoping to get past this without significant injuries.  We can't afford any more of them.

Honestly I'm just hoping KC can win a game over the next 4 assuming Mahomes misses that many games.  This was the WORST stretch for him to get hurt.  Tough games coming up.

Such a bizarre freak injury too.  I've never seen a QB dislocate a knee on a QB sneak.  I've never seen a QB injured on a QB sneak.

(10-21-2019, 03:04 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-21-2019, 02:57 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  I'm just hoping to get past this without significant injuries.  We can't afford any more of them.

Honestly I'm just hoping KC can win a game over the next 4 assuming Mahomes misses that many games.  This was the WORST stretch for him to get hurt.  Tough games coming up.

Such a bizarre freak injury too.  I've never seen a QB dislocate a knee on a QB sneak.  I've never seen a QB injured on a QB sneak.

Well, maybe they'll rally together because they can't fucking count on Superman to do everything for them.  Defense is gonna have to earn some paychecks.

(10-21-2019, 03:01 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-21-2019, 10:15 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Well, since they won I guess I get to keep my job here.

That tyreek play is something else.  I'm going to go on a thing:

Has anyone noticed how the Patriots almost avoid fast WR's?  Has anyone noticed that even fast guys, in NE's offense, can only survive if they run half speed?  It's all about route development.  So and so pulls this guy in this direction which as long as so and so is IN HIS SPOT, he'll be open.  ONe problem they had with a guy like Cooks is that he ran his routes too fast and was getting to his spot TOO EARLY.  

Then you have Andy Reid who has damn near invented a new route concept this year and it only is really effective with a really fast WR running full speed.  Watkins scored the same route against the Jags.  He runs that drag from the slot position and then it turns upfield like a flare route. In both cases announcers talked like it was just Hill improvising at the end of his route, but it's something they do on film.  It's clearly how the route is designed.  

Andy is quite brilliant at designing passing plays that take advantage of fast WR's rather than just asking them to run half speed until they catch the ball.

That said I don't expect KC to have much offensive success if they keep doing this shotgun 90% of the time stuff with Matt Moore.  It's already hurting the running game, but with Moore the running game HAS to be effective.  It has to.

As for the defense:  Impressive game.  Very few missed tackles.  LB"s getting downhill in the running game.  Secondary played solid (again).  Gonna need them to do it again, cos if they play like they did against Houston we'll get blown out.  Packers are not fool's gold.  This is a good damn team.

With Aikman you could literally hear the gears turning in his head while talking about that slant into a downfield wheel route thing. If I got to name it I'd name it a Claw route, but the Chiefs didn't ask me. Regardless you could hear it in his voice, he couldn't understand why Moore knew to release it when and where he did, but he knew it didn't make sense.

I'd blame the concussions, but Troy was always a meathead.

Reid says it would be a 'stretch' for mahomes to play this week.

(10-21-2019, 05:34 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Reid says it would be a 'stretch' for mahomes to play this week.

No shit Andy

(10-21-2019, 03:52 PM)NOLA Wrote:  

Well, maybe they'll rally together because they can't fucking count on Superman to do everything for them.  Defense is gonna have to earn some paychecks.

That they do. I am personally skeptical of the idea that they turned the corner in Denver.  I *wish* we could play a team the caliber of Denver every week, but we're not the New England Patriots.

I am curious if we'll try Chad Henne since he becomes eligible to come off IR in a week. I would feel a lot better with Henne under center. I thought he played well in preseason this year and last.  It'd be like having a non-broken 2016 Alex Smith back, but hey, they won some games that year too.

All we need from Moore is to NOT SCREW UP, and the rest of the team has to rise to the occasion.

They did in Denver. Can they do it for several games in a row?

(10-22-2019, 08:40 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  
(10-21-2019, 03:52 PM)NOLA Wrote:  

That they do. I am personally skeptical of the idea that they turned the corner in Denver.  I *wish* we could play a team the caliber of Denver every week, but we're not the New England Patriots.

I am curious if we'll try Chad Henne since he becomes eligible to come off IR in a week. I would feel a lot better with Henne under center. I thought he played well in preseason this year and last.  It'd be like having a non-broken 2016 Alex Smith back, but hey, they won some games that year too.

All we need from Moore is to NOT SCREW UP, and the rest of the team has to rise to the occasion.

They did in Denver. Can they do it for several games in a row?

I wish I could point you towards New Orleans for inspiration, but frankly the gulf in talent on the defensive side of the ball--both players and coaches--doesn't really make that an accurate comparison. 

But if you wanna feel better about the offense?  Def a good comparison.  Payton slow-rolled Teddy into action week-by-week as far as asking more and more of him, emphasized feeding the ball to his playmakers, and threw in the occasional gadget play.  These are all things Andy can do.  Just feed Hill, Watkins, Kelce and whoever the healthy running back at the moment is. 

I'm honestly a lot less worried about Matt Moore and the offense than I am the ongoing problems with the defense.  Though the Denver game was nice.