Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs @ Jacksonville - Season Opener

Hill does not need surgery and may be only out for a couple of weeks.

All in all, getting out of Jax breathing is a win.

Oh, and putting up 40 points on them. That was a win too.

I didn't actively dislike Jax before. Now I do - screw those guys. I hope they tank all year except for when it helps the Chiefs.

So we just saw a motivated as hell team with an excellent defense and the highly coveted and magical "year of tape" it takes to destroy Patrick Mahomes and it turned 313 passing yards in effectively 3 quarters last year into... 313 passing yards... in the first half.

I'm starting to think a "year of tape" isn't going to be as helpful as many so-called experts believe. Mahomes doesn't have to regress.

(09-08-2019, 06:47 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  So we just saw a motivated as hell team with an excellent defense and the highly coveted and magical "year of tape" it takes to destroy Patrick Mahomes and it turned 313 passing yards in effectively 3 quarters last year into... 313 passing yards... in the first half.

I'm starting to think a "year of tape" isn't going to be as helpful as many so-called experts believe. Mahomes doesn't have to regress.

No, but again, we should probably think about keeping his jersey cleaner.  Jesus.

The bad news:  I think our defense might actually be worse than last year. 

They made some guy named Gardner Minshew look like Patrick Mahomes.

(09-08-2019, 08:22 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  The bad news:  I think our defense might actually be worse than last year. 

They made some guy named Gardner Minshew look like Patrick Mahomes.

Yeah.

I thought I posted "this again" or something like that after one of many, many blown coverages, but apparently not.

But... this again?

I thought it looked better fundamentally. Better tackling, pursuit to the ball, etc. Lots to still work on but some big plays were made despite good coverage. Biggest disappointment was the utter and complete lack of pass rush.

I thought the defense didn't look great, but some of the gameplan goes out the window when a rookie is unexpectedly thrown in at QB and you've got a safe lead built up. Plus I expect the defense to get a little better as the players get more used to the system.

Concern is certainly an appropriate response, though. That Jags offense did not look like it should be hanging 428 yards and 26 points on anyone.

(09-08-2019, 07:49 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(09-08-2019, 06:47 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  So we just saw a motivated as hell team with an excellent defense and the highly coveted and magical "year of tape" it takes to destroy Patrick Mahomes and it turned 313 passing yards in effectively 3 quarters last year into... 313 passing yards... in the first half.

No, but again, we should probably think about keeping his jersey cleaner.  Jesus.

Right, and Jacksonville was clearly acting like fucking clowns most of the game too, deliberately trying to late hit players, knocking the ball out of our players' hands well after the play is over, constantly looking for a fight, etc. The Jags had a ton of friendly fire incidents trying to sneak in late hits on our dudes too.

I'm hoping a lot of these hits go away by some better scheming, but also not facing a good defense that hates us. The Raiders may hate us, but they literally aren't good enough to get some of the same hits on Mahomes and Co the Jags could.

(09-08-2019, 09:07 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

Right, and Jacksonville was clearly acting like fucking clowns most of the game too, deliberately trying to late hit players, knocking the ball out of our players' hands well after the play is over, constantly looking for a fight, etc. The Jags had a ton of friendly fire incidents trying to sneak in late hits on our dudes too.

I'm hoping a lot of these hits go away by some better scheming, but also not facing a good defense that hates us. The Raiders may hate us, but they literally aren't good enough to get some of the same hits on Mahomes and Co the Jags could.

Oh, I agree about both the Jags' talent on the line and the fact that the refs clearly do not have the same standard for Mahomes as Brady or Brees at this point (which is super suspect for a bunch of reasons), but still, guys, please, just help him out.  He's the savior.

(09-08-2019, 09:07 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

In a general sense as the season progresses the Offensive line improves, sacks go down, and defensive coverages get much better.  

Everyone has OL problems in week 1.  Unless you play the Dolphins, who should just stay home the rest of the season.

Look like another cake walk in the AFC Least for New England.

It seemed like after the first few TD's the Jags realized they can't play with KC, and just decided to start trying to hurt guys.  Ugly and embarrassing.  Post foot injury Mahomes conservatived it up like Alex Smith, throwing everything under 10 yards.  Hope he gets better soon.  He took way too many hits.  In terms of cheap shots, I'm not worried about the Raiders D, but there's one guy on their team I DO worry about.  I don't think Burfict should even be playing.  There is no cheap shot from that guy that would surprise me.  

Still, watching Watkins juke that bitch Ramsey into the 5th dimension and then run for a 68 yard TD was fantastic.