Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2019 Offseason Thread

(01-23-2019, 01:02 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(01-23-2019, 10:11 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(01-23-2019, 08:26 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I've seen Dennis allen and Steve spagnuolo mentioned a few times now too as potential hires.

I can't imagine a world where the Saints let Allen leave for a lateral job.

Spags is terrible.

Well, supposedly allen is a free agent so the saints couldn't stop him. But I mean I think they'd pay him to stay too.

As for the other, looks like spags is who we are getting. Espn citing sources that hes the leading candidate. He worked with reid and has the same agent. 'Mutual respect'

I posted some Spags stats in another thread.  They're... not favorable to hiring him.

Yeah, I'm just saying I can't imagine Payton letting Allen get out of town.  Those guys have been coaching together forever, and Allen has certainly earned a raise.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Network is reporting Steve Spagnuolo will be the new DC.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24...per-report

(01-24-2019, 05:49 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Mike Garafolo of NFL Network is reporting Steve Spagnuolo will be the new DC.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24...per-report

This is what rotoworld had to say about it.

Quote:The cocoon hire to end all cocoon hires, Spags should at least be an improvement on Bob Sutton. Spagnuolo occasionally oversaw fearsome defenses with the Giants. Talent was sometimes an issue the second time around. Spagnuolo began his NFL coaching career under Andy Reid in Philadelphia. If the bar is merely to be better than Sutton, Spags will clear it. Personnel issues and the Chiefs' style of play mean the defense will almost certainly still give up a boatload of points in 2019.

Here's an article that gives a fairly balanced view of Spags' past NFL experience.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/25...-spagnuolo

EDIT: Here's a different article about how the Chiefs personnel fit the 4-3 Under like Spags has ran in the past.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24...onnel-fits

I knew NOLA would not be a fan. Dude ran a trash defense in NO that was instantly upgraded by replacing him with Rob Ryan... the LESSER of the Ryans brothers.

There are several people I would have preferred. We'll see what happens I guess.

(01-26-2019, 04:21 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  I knew NOLA would not be a fan.  Dude ran a trash defense in NO that was instantly upgraded by replacing him with Rob Ryan... the LESSER of the Ryans brothers.

There are several people I would have preferred.  We'll see what happens I guess.

I don't imagine it helped that Spags was working with an Interim Interim Head Coach, and then an Interim Head Coach (JFC), but yeah, Saints got the other Ryan, and were instantly better.  Also, I would argue that Rob is the SUPERIOR Ryan brother, but only in terms of awesomeness.  Not the coaching thing tho.

https://deadspin.com/rob-ryan-had-drinks...1462265929

(01-27-2019, 11:07 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(01-26-2019, 04:21 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  I knew NOLA would not be a fan.  Dude ran a trash defense in NO that was instantly upgraded by replacing him with Rob Ryan... the LESSER of the Ryans brothers.

There are several people I would have preferred.  We'll see what happens I guess.

I don't imagine it helped that Spags was working with an Interim Interim Head Coach, and then an Interim Head Coach (JFC), but yeah, Saints got the other Ryan, and were instantly better.  Also, I would argue that Rob is the SUPERIOR Ryan brother, but only in terms of awesomeness.  Not the coaching thing tho.

https://deadspin.com/rob-ryan-had-drinks...1462265929

Yeah, but his defense was trash in 2017 with NYG as well.  

I'd love to have gotten Rex assuming we'd get the guy who ran one of the most innovative and creative defenses of the past 30 years when he was with the Ravens and Jets, but what he did in Buffalo makes me think he ain't got it anymore.  Plus it's the same scheme/verbiage, so the transition would have been easy.   I'm not opposed to a radical change to a 43 under defense... but Spags seems very similar to Sutton to me.

His defenses are creative, but fundamentally unsound.  They're good as long as they can create confusion, but once figured out they get picked apart while both guys struggle to figure out why it's not working anymore.  Let's not forget Sutton did a great job with the D for about 3 years.  Once people figured it out he couldn't adjust.  Hopefully Spags can confuse opposition for a few years before the book is out on his KC defense.

DAT arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

I had figured we'd bring him back over Conley but now I'm not sure either will be back. Leaves robinson and deiter as the only guys under contract behind hill and watkins. Well it looks like pringle is under contract next year too.

(01-27-2019, 08:43 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  DAT arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

I had figured we'd bring him back over Conley but now I'm not sure either will be back. Leaves robinson and reiter as the only guys under contract behind hill and watkins. Well it looks like pringle is under contract next year too.

I didn't expect DAT or Conley back either, even before the trouble for DAT. Conley hasn't really flashed enough and DAT now has injury concerns on top of inconsistent play. Either would have to come back on the cheap if they do at all, which to be fair is something DAT did last year.

Counter-argument, both DAT and Conley have intrinsic value elsewhere on special teams and as a blocker respectively. I would not fall out of my chair if both came back.

I think Kelvin Benjamin was a healthy scratch in at least one of the playoff games, so it'd be pretty hard to see him back. 

In years past Robinson and Dieter would have been fine 3rd and 4th options, but we're an offense predicated on passing now. Depth chart depth is more important and more likely to be tested. We will see at least one quality WR pickup in the draft or FA. Can't be that hard to lure WRs in to play with Mahomes.

He looked REALLY stoned in the mug shot. Made me laugh.

Too bad. A guy with a busted wheel should be able to burn some. His leg hurts.