Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs 2018 Draft PIcks

The only thing I don't necessarily like about this draft class is Veach straight up admitted that both Speaks and McKenzie they were looking for specific positions instead of looking for the best player available.

In other words, they were at least somewhat a reach although the other picks were not. Now, obviously they couldn't have been that much of a reach considering Veach thought they were worth trading up for.

This is entirely forgivable because Veach and Co. clearly did this because they thought it would lead to the best product on the field, but I'm generally speaking not a fan of chasing needs in the draft. It's forgivable so long as it pans out, I guess.

Two articles just filled with info and videos of our draft picks.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/...aft-class/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/4/30...draft-pick

(05-01-2018, 12:57 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Two articles just filled with info and videos especially of our draft picks.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/...aft-class/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/4/30...draft-pick

Nice,that's helpful, thanks.

Has any of these guys done anything yet? Outside of watts sack in the last game I haven't heard anything about our picks yet. Hell I can only name 2 of them.

[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates

(10-03-2018, 10:15 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Has any of these guys done anything yet? Outside of watts sack in the last game I haven't heard anything about our picks yet. Hell I can only name 2 of them.

Speaks looks slow, fat, and non instinctive.  I literally don't see anything from him.  He's... there.  Sometimes OBVIOUSLY there in a bad way.

Nnadi hasn't really shown up for me.  Is he even playing?  

Odaniel?  Is he on the team?  I've seen no sign of him.  

Armani Watts... dude has been a beast on special teams and was outstanding  in the preseason.  Count me among people who would like to see him leap Murray on the depth chart.  I don't care about his one play.  Murray blows coverage ALL THE TIME and seems to have no instincts in zone.  Watts seems instinctive. 

Tremon Smith- I guess he's supposed to be a returner (well filled jobs right now) but also a very athletic project.  He's not on the field, and KC signed Orlando Scandrick.  I doubt he'll ever contribute much on defense if he can't get on the field with THIS group.  

Reggie McKenzie's kid - Yeah, he's on the roster.  Maybe he'll be good.  I guess he's not as good as the players they start though.

(10-03-2018, 11:04 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-03-2018, 10:15 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Has any of these guys done anything yet? Outside of watts sack in the last game I haven't heard anything about our picks yet. Hell I can only name 2 of them.

Speaks looks slow, fat, and non instinctive.  I literally don't see anything from him.  He's... there.  Sometimes OBVIOUSLY there in a bad way.

Armani Watts... dude has been a beast on special teams and was outstanding  in the preseason.  Count me among people who would like to see him leap Murray on the depth chart.  I don't care about his one play.  Murray blows coverage ALL THE TIME and seems to have no instincts in zone.  Watts seems instinctive. 

Tremon Smith- I guess he's supposed to be a returner (well filled jobs right now) but also a very athletic project.  He's not on the field, and KC signed Orlando Scandrick.  I doubt he'll ever contribute much on defense if he can't get on the field with THIS group.  

Reggie McKenzie's kid - Yeah, he's on the roster.  Maybe he'll be good.  I guess he's not as good as the players they start though.

Speaks needs to be playing a 5 tech (DE), not a OLB.  He does not look like a OLB, and his skill set does not scream "OLB" to me.  He doesn't have the speed to be playing OLB.  Plus, he has limited pass-rush ability (granted, he is just a rookie, and for some guys, it takes a little a while to develop it), so the Chiefs needs to realize that his ass needs to be on the D-Line.

Nnadi has a few good ones, but also few bad ones as well.  He's a NT, so he's not going to get a lot of stats.  Think of him as a NTOTF with some protentional.  It's just going to take some time.

O'Daniel is still on the team, and I'm not sure why the Chiefs insist playing Terrance Smith over him, where I think O'Daniel's cover ability and speed appears to be more superior than Smith.  He needs to be on the field, considering how bad our defense is, especially on the middle of the field.

As for the other guys, they're projects (which you can also make an argument that O'Daniel can be classified into this discussion), so it is going to take time.  That being said, the Chiefs are notoriously patient with their rookie classes and letting them develop, in a manner of speaking.

(10-04-2018, 12:12 AM)Coach Wrote:  

Speaks needs to be playing a 5 tech (DE), not a OLB.  He does not look like a OLB, and his skill set does not scream "OLB" to me.  He doesn't have the speed to be playing OLB.  Plus, he has limited pass-rush ability (granted, he is just a rookie, and for some guys, it takes a little a while to develop it), so the Chiefs needs to realize that his ass needs to be on the D-Line.

Nnadi has a few good ones, but also few bad ones as well.  He's a NT, so he's not going to get a lot of stats.  Think of him as a NTOTF with some protentional.  It's just going to take some time.

O'Daniel is still on the team, and I'm not sure why the Chiefs insist playing Terrance Smith over him, where I think O'Daniel's cover ability and speed appears to be more superior than Smith.  He needs to be on the field, considering how bad our defense is, especially on the middle of the field.

As for the other guys, they're projects (which you can also make an argument that O'Daniel can be classified into this discussion), so it is going to take time.  That being said, the Chiefs are notoriously patient with their rookie classes and letting them develop, in a manner of speaking.

I don't know what the hell Speaks is doing at OLB, but I didn't understand why kpassagnon was playing OLB either.   

I assumed,with both guys, that they'd be playing on the DL when Kc drafted them.

(10-04-2018, 01:25 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

I don't know what the hell Speaks is doing at OLB, but I didn't understand why kpassagnon was playing OLB either.   

I assumed,with both guys, that they'd be playing on the DL when Kc drafted them.

Kpassagnon was a project, even though I didn't agree with the Chiefs selecting him in the 2nd round.  That being said, he did lead the team in QB pressures against Denver, so there is some hope that he'll work out.  But Kpassagnon has definitely improved compared to last year.  His big problem is pad level, and that's hard to do when you're 6'7", but he still needs to get more consistent with it.  But there is no denying that he has made progress from Year 1 to Year 2.  I'm more hopeful that he will continue to ascend.  If his ceiling is slightly taller, less talented version of a James Harrison, well, I'd take that.

(10-05-2018, 12:22 AM)Coach Wrote:  
(10-04-2018, 01:25 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

Kpassagnon was a project, even though I didn't agree with the Chiefs selecting him in the 2nd round.  That being said, he did lead the team in QB pressures against Denver, so there is some hope that he'll work out.  But Kpassagnon has definitely improved compared to last year.  His big problem is pad level, and that's hard to do when you're 6'7", but he still needs to get more consistent with it.  But there is no denying that he has made progress from Year 1 to Year 2.  I'm more hopeful that he will continue to ascend.  If his ceiling is slightly taller, less talented version of a James Harrison, well, I'd take that.

KPass looked good in preseason too.  

Who knows what his ceiling is.  Dude is 6-7 and 290.  I still have a hard time seeing him as an OLB.